Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 21:30   #46

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Well, key west is a dump...moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
You can sure drop some serious coin there in a very short period of time. I really don't see how the people who work in the bars and restaurants afford to live there. Housing is out of sight.
That topic came up between myself and one of the bartenders during Key West Race Week... they share a residence. The bartender said she shares a house with 3 other girls, each has own room, pool, etc... IIRC it was around $1000 a month for her rent.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 06:51   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
That topic came up between myself and one of the bartenders during Key West Race Week... they share a residence. The bartender said she shares a house with 3 other girls, each has own room, pool, etc... IIRC it was around $1000 a month for her rent.
That makes sense. That's what most of the people I know who moved to high cost areas like Hawaii, San Fran, or New York had to do, too.

I had a friend who went to Key west around 1981. Her descriptions of it at the time, made me want to go. By the time I actually got there, around 2001, it was a lot different than what she described, and a lot different than the last time I visited it, in 2014. It is definitely a place that's always changing.

Another good friend lived there for about fifteen years and moved away about three years ago, because she said it had just changed into a place she didn't want to live in, anymore.

Where I used to work we had a two person office, that seemed to have an opening about every other year that they had a lot of trouble filling. The high cost of living was the biggest complaint.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:04   #48

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Figured when this thread started that I'd update while I was down here for future readers. Approaching the channel from the north, leave all your sails up until you make the turn to Fleming where things start to get really busy. I normally take sails down and motor when beating into a channel out of courtesy, but this one is very wide and all the tour catamarans had full sail. Taking sails down early cost me an extra two hours of slow motoring.
I also made the approach into garrison bight at night. There were many, many anchored and unlit sailboats actually laying in the channel. Thank god for a full moon. The final approach to garrison bight is very narrow and exposed, high winds will quickly blow you off course. Only the first and last buoy are lit. In addition, some idiot in a bow rider was canoodling with his missus while anchored precisely in the middle of this very narrow channel, with his rode stretched across it. I was happy to interrupt them. But once you're in the channel you're pretty committed with a strong tide and wind.
The one anchorage I found that wasn't crowded is actually north of the mooring field tucked in close to land, go figure. In a cable area, but no big deal as the water is shallow and clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 06:41   #49

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Yippers! Key West truly is the end of the road for a good many folks.

Cruising aboard S/V Blondie-Dog: Signs, Signs, Everywhere You Look in Key West there are Signs...
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 06:53   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The OP expressed the opinion I had of the place when I was there 20 yrs. ago.
I visited with my parents 45 years ago. We were all negatively impressed. 'Dump' described it well.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 07:04   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Blondie-Dog View Post
Yippers! Key West truly is the end of the road for a good many folks.

Cruising aboard S/V Blondie-Dog: Signs, Signs, Everywhere You Look in Key West there are Signs...
those were good, thanks!
Old 29-03-2015, 07:55   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Sirena View Post
How could a boater be homeless.?
Unfortunately, homeless people who take refuge on a boat for shelter against the elements bring the causes for their homelessness with them. Whether in Key West or Sausalito's Richardson Bay. Were they in a homeless encampment you could see the detrius that defines their existence. Syringes, crack pipes, human waste and garbage strewn about. You won't see these things when their on a boat because it's all deposited into the water.

Still, their homeless in the sense nothing of significance in their life changes. Regardless of the type of shelter. Cardboard, a car, abandoned building, freeway overpass or a boat.

They have no connection to the boat other than as a place of refuge.

In California, if you live on a boat and are a cruiser or boating enthusiast you are still considered homeless under California law.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 08:10   #53

I think that people coming to Key West from lilly-white squeaky clean suburbia are the ones who find it a "dump". Any one form NYC or SF will probably not even notice much difference in the funkyness of the place. Also my take on KW population is that they had to come from somewhere. Most likely escaped from the outward tranquility of the bland and psychologically opressive suburban living where freedoms were replaced by HOA and zoning rules long time ago. These are your children, brothers, sisters and parents Mr. and Mrs. Suburbanite. They're not "cesspool" but a logical product of the homogenization of society which had lost its capacity and compassion for the different among us. And had only learned the fake response of "accepting diversity" while deep down hating it and being afraid of it, which we see in our politics daily. But I bet you that the cops in Key West don't shoot a bum as quickly or as easily as the cops in St. Louis' suburbs. So I'm not sure where the real cesspool is after all.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 08:16   #54

Just stay in one of the nicer areas and catch the bus into KW for the day.

And regarding homeless: If they have an old refridgerator box...how can they be homeless. The box would be nicer than some of these pieces of junk.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 08:47   #55

Boat: Monk 36

Been to KW a few times, last was a while ago, 1991 I think, for a photo shoot for a series of power boats.
We were thinking of bringing the catamaran down and having the girls/their guys come for Christmas. A few weeks or so later hop over to Bahamas.
Dry Tortugas is on our mind for part of it. Had been thinking of anchoring west of Wisteria but it sounds like it's become a dump since last there.
Any other close to land anchoring spots still 'respectable'?
We aren't worried about the phreaks roaming the streets - that's all part of it.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 08:58   #56

We had a pretty good time in Key West but it is easy to fall into a misadventure. I wrote up the story of our run in with the Lord of the Flies rapist:
Misadventures on Christmas Tree Island | Sundowner Sails Again
Old 29-03-2015, 09:18   #57
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

Don't let all the negative comments put you off you can stil have a good time if you exercise tolerance and compassion to people less fortunate. Although most of the comments about the number and type of boats that are scattered around the proximity of the downtown area are true, I have not had nor heard of visiting boats being tampered with.
I have been able to squeeze in west of Wisteria every time I stop over ( most recently two month ago) and used the busy dinghy dock in front of the Turtle club with easy walking distance to Duval and the many colorful restaurants and bars.
A few days is all I need but enjoy in Key West and will continue to be my favorite stop over.
The Dry Tortugas are always included during my visits and never disappoints for its proximity but complete isolation from the wifi world we live in.
If you think Key West is a dump, you wil be right. If you think Key West is a great place to spend a few days, you are right.
Enjoy
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 15:03   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Town weighs boat issues - News - Carteret County News-Times

The above article details how complicated the issue of derelict boats can be for a community, in this case Beaufort, NC.

A picture accompanying the article (below) shows a protected mooring area in front of Town Creek Marina with a very shabby boat that appears to be a makeshift tent on a pontoon, one of the worst looking examples in this otherwise beautiful anchorage. An elderly woman has lived full time on this particular boat for years, she frequently walks from Beaufort to Morehead City and is easily recognizable by her long braided hair. I assumed she must be mentally ill, lazy or drug addicted until my wife started giving her a car ride when she would see her walking. She said the woman is totally harmless- very pleasant, well-groomed and appreciative.

I'm all for personal responsibility, but calling all these people "cesspool" types without even knowing what is causing the situation seems a bit harsh. It seems to me that Key West and other coastal towns have benefited enough from tourism dollars that they could find a creative and compassionate solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	99681  
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 16:35   #59

Boat: H280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
We had a pretty good time in Key West but it is easy to fall into a misadventure. I wrote up the story of our run in with the Lord of the Flies rapist:
Misadventures on Christmas Tree Island | Sundowner Sails Again

Wow target.. wow..... Note to self, put on places to avoid and the good advice on the locals.
Magic1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 16:42   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Town weighs boat issues - News - Carteret County News-Times

The above article details how complicated the issue of derelict boats can be for a community, in this case Beaufort, NC.

A picture accompanying the article (below) shows a protected mooring area in front of Town Creek Marina with a very shabby boat that appears to be a makeshift tent on a pontoon, one of the worst looking examples in this otherwise beautiful anchorage. An elderly woman has lived full time on this particular boat for years, she frequently walks from Beaufort to Morehead City and is easily recognizable by her long braided hair. I assumed she must be mentally ill, lazy or drug addicted until my wife started giving her a car ride when she would see her walking. She said the woman is totally harmless- very pleasant, well-groomed and appreciative.

I'm all for personal responsibility, but calling all these people "cesspool" types without even knowing what is causing the situation seems a bit harsh. It seems to me that Key West and other coastal towns have benefited enough from tourism dollars that they could find a creative and compassionate solution.
Well if I was a transient boater I wouldn't have a problem registering. All the rest is a local issue and I think it comes down to money (to remove the unknown boats).

Tags
key west