Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2021, 19:25   #1

1” blisters - is it a problem?

I found a boat I like but it has blisters in the hull, they are there at least from 2019 , that’s when the current owner bought it. He didn’t fix it and hasn’t done haul out since then so he doesn’t know the current blisters condition.
In 2019 the surveyor said it’s cosmetic only. It was 1” size back then.

People warn me to stay away from blisters as they tend to grow and water would come into the hull, but some told me it’s ok if they are small and they grow very slowly.

I have no knowledge about blisters no was wondering if someone here in the forum know about them, and basically if it’s even wise to buy such boat with blisters , or just look for another boat with no blisters.

Thank you
Moretolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 16:12   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: 1” blisters - is it a problem?

You kinda asked if anyone knows about blisters in the gelcoat. I know they are not good and I agree to walk away. That is unless you can deduct the price to get the blisters fixed from the cost of the boat. But be aware that blisters in gelcoat is not easy to fix.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 16:49   #3

Thank you so much
Old 03-08-2021, 17:54   #4

http://https://www.boatus.com/expert...blister-repair

Here is a good primer, to understand them a little better.
Wheelguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 19:22   #5

Thank you I’m on it .
Old 05-08-2021, 15:44   #6

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

See my answer in another "blister" thread from today. We had hundreds when we bought our boat. So bad, we were going to walk away. Our surveyor saved the deal. He told us "every time you haul the boat, grind out as many as you can afford, fill and paint. After a few times, you will be down to just a few." Just hauled the boat this week for a bottom. After 12 or 13 years of ownership, he called me yesterday from our boat (we have it surveyed every time it's hauled) and said "you have 6".
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 00:06   #7

Thank you so much. We are planning on a survey. The last survey it has in 2019 the blisters were 1” size. The current owner bought it with them and never fixed them. We will know the size once the survey is done. The surveyor in 2019 estimated the market price for that boat for 75k . My question is if the price he said of 75k, reflects the price if the boat has no blisters, or it means that the price reflects the boat with the blisters as they and not fixed? Thank you
Old 07-08-2021, 05:20   #8

More,

Here's the other thread where streep posted and you can see pictures, discussion and Q&As about his blister work. It's pretty interesting:

Blister Diagnosis Please
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-248756.html

Good luck, that cabin cruiser does look pretty enticing... and a LOT better condition than that disaster-trawler you had been considering...! Ensure you get a GOOD surveyor. In fact, is streep near you? Maybe see if you can use his.
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 00:03   #9

Thank you. Yes, this one looks nicer I don’t have any pictures yet as we didn’t do haul out yet. But the posts will definitely be a good help! Thank you so much.

Tags
blisters