Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 00:24   #46

Boat: Cooper Prowler 10m Sundeck
Re: 10m Cooper Prowler - Seaworthy?

Thanks for doing this.
EyeOnAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 12:16   #47

Boat: 1988 Cooper Prowler 10M Sundeck

The hydraulic steering on my Cooper is leaking at the flybridge. I think it’s coming from one of the copper pipe fittings underneath. Can anyone tell me how to refill & bleed the system? Is there a reservoir or pump somewhere?
Old 22-04-2021, 15:08   #48

Boat: Cooper Prowler 10M /35'

Hi there Prowler owners. Is it true these boats are known for rain water leaks all around the outside of the flybridge... or is it just me? I have a 1988 10M Sundeck (aft-cabin). I've caulked and caulked some more but I just can't find where it's getting in. It gathers in the storage area under the upper helm - not always, but when it rains hard. Now it's starting to drip into the salon and galley (which is when my wife finally lost her patience). Any ideas? Thanks!
Eclipse 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 16:00   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse 2 View Post
Hi there Prowler owners. Is it true these boats are known for rain water leaks all around the outside of the flybridge... or is it just me? I have a 1988 10M Sundeck (aft-cabin). I've caulked and caulked some more but I just can't find where it's getting in. It gathers in the storage area under the upper helm - not always, but when it rains hard. Now it's starting to drip into the salon and galley (which is when my wife finally lost her patience). Any ideas? Thanks!
I'm not sure that they are famous for this, but leaks are a problem on boats, period.. Anything that is screwed into the fiberglass or mounted on it can be the source of a leak. Ours would sometimes be wet in that storage area too, but after we had our boat retrofitted with new controls and removed all the gauges, it seemed to stop. Anywhere the railings are mounted is a potential leak as well. We are trying to figure out ho to stop leaks coming in from the railing stantions around the bow, when to get at some of them, we have to remove some of the wood panelling. We also nly have water in the bilge in the engine bay after it rains and not after using the boat. I feel your frustration!
Coast Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 20:38   #50

Where does the leak appear? Have you checked the rudder linkage? There's a cylinder back there that the hydraulic lines feed fluid into. We discovered a leak there and had the cylinder rebuilt. There was another pinhole leak in the copper tubing closer to the lower helm. I got a marine mechanic to bleed and refill the system. That would get rid of any air in there too.
Old 23-04-2021, 13:40   #51

Re rainwater leaks...

There are two drain holes in the forward corners of the flybridge, way forward under the helm area. These drain water from under the flybridge helm onto the windshield that slopes down over the galley. Check if these are plugged.

My Cooper has two leak problems. One is the porthole in the forward head. What’s weird is it seems to be leaking through the wall around the porthole, so it may be coming from the windshield frame above. I tried resealing the porthole itself to no avail. Luckily, it’s not a very big leak, just drips during rainstorms down onto the sink area below, so it’s easy to keep track of. I just worry about what’s happening in that wall.

My other problem is the starboard salon window, all the way back next to the hatch. I get a slow drip during rain storms. What’s weird is the leak is happening *outside* the window frame. So somehow it’s coming in from the flybridge area.

I do get water pooling on the flybridge deck when it rains. I have a full canvas cover for the flybridge but it’s not completely waterproof so some rain gets through anyway. Don’t think this is the source of any leaks, thank goodness. A prior owner applied silicone around the entire joint where the flybridge console meets the deck. I don’t know if this was necessary or not, or if the factory did it this way. I presume not since there are those two drains under the flybridge helm.

As for my hydraulic steering leak, luckily I was able to stop that simply by carefully tightening a compression fitting under the helm. Yay!
Old 23-04-2021, 16:54   #52

Thanks for this Roamad, very helpful. Those two drain holes on my Prowler don't appear to be plugged - from the outside, but you've given me an idea. I'm going to try forcing compressed air in there, because maybe the channel is plugged somewhere. Your leak in the forward head porthole is exactly the same problem I have. No it isn't too serious, but I'd sure like to get to the bottom of it. I have a lot of rain water running above the salon windows, but it runs off the flybridge back onto the aft deck, where I always keep buckets to catch it. Better your water runs all the way back there rather than drip down onto your salon window. Glad you fixed the steering link!
Old 23-04-2021, 17:51   #53

Steering LEAK!
Old 01-06-2021, 18:34   #54

Discovered a new problem today while inspecting my hydraulic steering. The bolts attaching the steering linkage arm between the two rudders have no nuts on them. They’re just sitting there thanks to gravity! (See attached photo.) I’m guessing these bolts should have nuts on them, yes? (Posted this question in the general powered boats forum but no replies yet.)

Old 29-06-2021, 20:19   #55

And this thread shall be resurrected again!!

Just acquired an 86 cooper prowler 10m.. new to this style boat completely.. used to outboard motors etc..

Could anyone explain the (2) fuel switch buttons at the helm? Is there a way to make the great shifter any smoother or less effort to use? And also, do most come with only a single button windlass?

My parents just purchased this boat and I am trying to familiarize myself with it as I will most likely be the person using it.

Thank you for any help!!
MMartin730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 09:24   #56

Not sure what you mean by 2 fuel switch buttons - can you send a picture? As for the shifters, mine were so stiff I had to get a mechanic to fix them. But they are fixable - don't let anyone tell you they're "too old." Every windlass is different. My Lewmar has one switch on the flybridge dash for up and down.
Old 30-01-2022, 07:24   #57

Re: 10m Cooper Prowler - Windows

I have a 1990 10 metre Cooper Prowler and Im trying to figure out how to remove the salon windows so I can give them a channel and glass cleaning.
Anyone have any ideas. I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks
Gregory A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 10:35   #58

Boat: Cooper Prowler 10m Sundeck
Re: 10m Cooper Prowler - Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory A View Post
I have a 1990 10 metre Cooper Prowler and Im trying to figure out how to remove the salon windows so I can give them a channel and glass cleaning.
Anyone have any ideas. I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks
There is a very thin piece of plastic above the windows that you need to pull out towards the bow of the boat. I was able to grip mine with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, otherwise a pick of some kind just to get it started. Do it carefully so you don't break it. Once the thin piece is removed you can pretty easily pull out the larger piece with channels that hold in the glass. Removing that larger piece will let you lift the glass out.
EyeOnAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 17:51   #59

Resurrecting the post again. I'm a new owner of a 1986 Prowler 10m...thanks for all the great advice over the last several years. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions!
comocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 18:24   #60

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Prowler was accused of being a cheap Carver even of flipping a hull. They made some big booboos with plywood but so did everyone. They used some pot metal on some early boats and had some with the dreaded Ford.
All the nasty rumours about them are unfounded. I travelled and rafted off with several. They took big water just fine.
I have seen several of the smaller prowlers with bad pox but they did not adopt a water proof layer of vinylester.
Get a good survey they are great boats.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooper, seaworthy