Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 12:31   #31

Boat: Currently in between
Re: 1997 Mainship 37 MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I started watching them when they first started, but found them highly irritating. I haven't watched an episode after their 2nd or 3rd when she started explaining sex on the boat with kids.
Yup, I've heard that from several folks. They seemed to be on quite a pendulum with many swings in different directions for quite a while. I think in trying to please everybody they ended up losing a bunch.

Lesson learned!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:49   #32

Boat: Mainship MY 34

The fuel burn is very interesting for me. I have a 1996 Mainship 34MY with Crusader 454's. I can run anywhere from 2800 to 3200rpms at 10-15 knots depending on the seas and i am getting .49mpg.

I am wondering what if anything can be done to increase the mpg other going at trawler speed. The boat is not overloaded by any means with extra items. I am going to have the boat weighed this fall when it's hauled out to see if that gives me any indications.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I am 5 years away from retirement and we want to cruise the Great Lakes but at my current gas consumption I'm wondering if that makes sense financially or should we look for a better cruising boat.
Vandrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:44   #33

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandrant View Post
The fuel burn is very interesting for me. I have a 1996 Mainship 34MY with Crusader 454's. I can run anywhere from 2800 to 3200rpms at 10-15 knots depending on the seas and i am getting .49mpg.

I am wondering what if anything can be done to increase the mpg other going at trawler speed. The boat is not overloaded by any means with extra items. I am going to have the boat weighed this fall when it's hauled out to see if that gives me any indications.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I am 5 years away from retirement and we want to cruise the Great Lakes but at my current gas consumption I'm wondering if that makes sense financially or should we look for a better cruising boat.

You can experiment with various RPMs/speeds, maybe tweak it a little, but in general what you're getting is what you get with that kind of boat and that kind of engines. Clean bottom, shed unnecessary weight, engine tune-up, fit the correct props (prop shop can help with that calculation)... and that's about all you can play with.

In general, gas engines just aren't so great for economical long distance cruising.

For comparison, though, I can tell you we get approx .75 NMPG on plane with our diesels... significant, but not a really huge improvement over yours (until you see the math)... so instead we still often do longer distances at about 7.0 kts (approx 1.75 NMPG) when sea states permit.

-Chris
Old 08-09-2018, 15:29   #34

Late too the party ,
I live this issue daily . Owing twin gas .4.3 engines my fuel burn is 1 gallon a mile
Trying too conserve I run one engine around 8 knots . Helps a little but boat too heavy , designed too operate on 2
Number of week trips constant fill ups Makes me want too cry
Last 200 mile journey @ 4.29 gallon cost I could have gone on Royal Caribbean .

Speaking to a mobile mechanic that is allowed too work on boats at my marina
( marina offers no service but allows certain mechanics on property with a fee )
He says gas engines nobody wants too touch cause of insurance restrictions .
Recently I had too re power twin gas engines . I have a 30 footer , I am lucky I own a trailer this way I can tow too a dealer . Taking boat too dealers nobody wanted too work on inboard gas engines . They offered crate only . I had too drive 200 miles too a marine shop that only does long blocks or rebuilds
In board or IO boat gas engines are going the way of horse & buggy
If you plan on using boat often ( like I do ) I stay local . If your living on boat and don't give a damn then choice is easy .
good luck
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote