Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2017, 23:30   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: 35 foot wooden cruiser - needs an anchor - Sydney

Ben, you're a ways yet from needing the anchor and chain, but if the chain is so rusty that it is wasted, you're in the market for new, or possibly good re-galvanized 2nd hand chain, if you can find it. Take home the old line, put it in lingerie bags to wash it, in the machine, cold water, mild detergent, allow to air dry. Anything inexpensive you do to remove rust stains will weaken the fibers of the lines, so leave the stain. [If you have a good source of hydrogen peroxide, cheap, you can try that, it does something to the iron oxide, but is usually too dear.]

You're doing a great job of the tear-down, good on you.

Ann
Old 24-04-2017, 14:24   #47

Boat: not sure 35' Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ben, you're a ways yet from needing the anchor and chain, but if the chain is so rusty that it is wasted, you're in the market for new, or possibly good re-galvanized 2nd hand chain, if you can find it. Take home the old line, put it in lingerie bags to wash it, in the machine, cold water, mild detergent, allow to air dry. Anything inexpensive you do to remove rust stains will weaken the fibers of the lines, so leave the stain. [If you have a good source of hydrogen peroxide, cheap, you can try that, it does something to the iron oxide, but is usually too dear.]

You're doing a great job of the tear-down, good on you.

Ann
Thanks for the tips Ann,
yes I was aware of the risk of the title of this thread :-) I actually expected lots of comments about my/the boat's priorities but to be honest it was a little bit of fun but also serious as I need to slip the boat, the closest slip is about a 20 minute motor away - i DO NOT want to get stranded in Sydney harbour without an anchor. especially as i only have a small 25hp outboard to power this 33 ish foot boat at the moment.
bcoussens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 14:36   #48

Shopping trip yesterday to the lumber yard, (blackbut for new floor beams) it was interesting taking 3 lengths of 60x75x6000 at a time to the boat on the back of my 5 foot tender. (as my big tender was full of the demo wood) must have been funny to watch! anyway got my first floor beam installed so construction phase finally started.

I chose Blackbut as it just seems so much stronger and longer lasting than Oregon (the hull is Oregon) and considering I only have 3 beams to replace the cost was small.

First Construction costs (AU):
  • Floor beams $119
  • left over fixings from small boat (probably $3)
Old 24-04-2017, 14:47   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I started to post that you're going to end up with more time & money in this boat than it's worth but then I though, wait a minute, that's every boat. How about, this is going to be way more expensive than you think it is. Sorry, every boat again. I will say that when you haul out don't be surprised if you have to replace some planks. Hopefully the stem & keel are good. Anyway, here's a good forum for wooden boat repair.
The WoodenBoat Forum
Also Offcenterharbor.com has some informative videos that might help.
Hi Scout,

more than the boat is worth: _ don't plan on selling it - it's to enhance my family life here in Sydney I have 2 young kids 5 and 10, we want something to have as a base up in the Hawskburry/ Pittwater area, were we go skiing in our little wooden ski boat.

I will spend about 10k on the boat (paid 2.5k for it including the mooring apparatus and years mooring) so the total cost will be $22,500 - my maths doubles my estimate :-) it will hurt if i can't complete this project for that budget.
The boat might be worth 15-20k when complete so you are correct but its worth a whole lot more to my family :-)

love woodenboat but hadn't heard off Offcentreharbour thanks :-)
Old 01-05-2017, 04:16   #50

So again more progress this weekend all of the floor beams that were rotten have been replaced with Blackbut, the floor lid sections have new supports too, ready for new floor this weekend, this will be a major milestone as it will start to look like a boat again. [emoji3]
Old 01-05-2017, 04:17   #51

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	146599
Old 01-05-2017, 20:03   #52

Now, that looks like something you could get down there and WORK in! I hope the re-build goes smoothly.

Ann
Old 12-06-2017, 06:43   #53

Ok so after a month of looking for houses we have finally signed a contract so now back to the old girl [emoji3]

Got the floor cut to size today but unfortunately didn't measure twice and cut once, I measured once and screwed up, cutting one large floor piece to short [emoji853], not the end of the world but I can tell you all I'm not taking another full sheet of plywood to the boat in my 4 foot tender again so will be putting in another beam to support the join. Other than that it was really just cleaning up bird ****. I did measure the engine bearers as I've found a 50 hp Perkins 3 cyl engine close by for a good price so she might be moving again soon.- so I might actually need that anchor now!

Was good to get back to it and was a cracking sunny day here in Sydney harbour. But the tender had seen a bit of rain over the last weeks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	149767
Old 12-06-2017, 12:20   #54

A familiar situation. Many times cut it off twice and still too short. A backer board has saved the day more than once, allowing secure attachment of the splice/sister.

These have worked sometimes with the birds. Tied with manila in a crazy design lookin like a snake with a stuffed brown shopping bag for a head.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pool noodles.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	149814
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 16:13   #55

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
A familiar situation. Many times cut it off twice and still too short. A backer board has saved the day more than once, allowing secure attachment of the splice/sister.

These have worked sometimes with the birds. Tied with manila in a crazy design lookin like a snake with a stuffed brown shopping bag for a head.

Attachment 149814
Ohh, yes, the old artificial snake trick... Friends of ours who keep their yacht on a mooring in McCarrs creek in the Pittwater bought some very realistic rubber snakes to put on deck and scare the shags away. Worked a treat until the Kookaburras came and stole the snakes away! Had to tie them down...

Jim
Old 12-06-2017, 17:11   #56

Jim meant, tie the snakes down, not the Kookaburras!

Have you tried Boat Bits in Warriewood for an anchor? Just a thought.

Ann

Tags
anchor, cruise, cruiser, sydney