Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 08:10   #1
cruiser

50' Cat with 12f draft???

This commercial catamaran seems to have that..Nabcat 1512 electric hybrid...Norway, Moen Marin. That seems really deep for a catamaran, right? Othwerwise seems great for people who prefer commercial boats over fancy ones with their marble countertops, teak wood floors, cherry wood inlaid tables, etc.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 08:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: 50' Cat with 12f draft???

Could not find find displacement but Load capacity is 80tons, metric.

Could explain a lot.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 09:19   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Could not find find displacement but Load capacity is 80tons, metric.

Could explain a lot.
I guess they mean, 'moulded depth', which is different. Their other boats state it that way. So, even with a light load, we dont really know its depth underwater, right? But for sure, it has to be a heavy boat. The site give an option to have the details sent, but maybe they wont to private guys, only companies. Sent for the tech details, but they never sent them. Wish I knew somebody with a company..
Old 30-09-2021, 09:47   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Draft aside, this seems like an unlikely boat to convert for cruising. While the 'hybrid' drivetrain may imply fuel efficiency it looks like the boat has a 500 horsepower engine plus two 430 horsepower generators in the drivetrain and it uses a rotating propeller system. Sounds more like a working tugboat than a cruising boat. But if you've got the $$$$ to refit and operate one of these as a cruising boat then you'd certainly have something unique.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 10:07   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Draft aside, this seems like an unlikely boat to convert for cruising. While the 'hybrid' drivetrain may imply fuel efficiency it looks like the boat has a 500 horsepower engine plus two 430 horsepower generators in the drivetrain and it uses a rotating propeller system. Sounds more like a working tugboat than a cruising boat. But if you've got the $$$$ to refit and operate one of these as a cruising boat then you'd certainly have something unique.
I think theyre giving various options, but for sure its not clear, and so far they havnt sent the details.
Th at company says all their boats are available as hybrids, and that they have about 25-30%fuel savings. One could install also install a solar roof over the work area, in order to charge the massive battery supply. Other than that, it should be a good cruising boat without other refits, customization, right? These boats are designed for Norwegian waters, up to the artic, Iceland, etc.
Old 30-09-2021, 10:31   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Other than that, it should be a good cruising boat without other refits, customization, right? These boats are designed for Norwegian waters, up to the artic, Iceland, etc.
Well, maybe not. I would assume the interior layout is set up as a workboat, so not what I'd want to live in.

As an analogy last week my wife and I rented a cargo van, instead of a car, for a couple days as it was the cheapest offering. After bouncing and rattling around in that thing for a few days, trying to squeeze it into regular parking spots, and seeing our groceries rolling around the cavernous interior on every corner I know I won't be doing that again to save a couple bucks.

You may be happy living in a boat whose interior makes no sense as a home. I've lived in industrial spaces while working in the arctic. That is not the sort of living environment I'd pay for the privilege of calling my home.

As far as their hybrids providing a 25 to 30% fuel savings, what does that mean? Does it mean they use 30% less fuel that 10 times more fuel that a typical 50' cruising cat?

Maybe it is a great boat for you. I've seen a couple of "industrial" looking power cats used as cruising boats, though they weren't as industrial looking as the NabCat. I'd just not expect it to be a fit for most peoples' wants and needs.
Old 30-09-2021, 10:36   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Because it's designed specifically as a workboat, not a rich man's toy?

From what I can determine, it's not a hybrid; propulsion is a standard diesel engine driving a prop through a gearbox and shaft.

The generators are, I assume, to operate the boat's extensive machinery, including

1 80t crane w/radio control
1 40t crane w/radio control
1 8t capstan
2 5t capstans
2 64KW hydraulic pumps

Range at full speed and no load is 50 km (though this may be a typo), fuel capacity is 12.3 cu mt (3250 gallons), so not very favorable for a 'cruising conversion'.

https://www.moenmarin.no/en/produkt/...bcat-1512-eng/

Oops -- its also available in a hybrid version

https://www.moenmarin.no/en/produkt/...-electric-eng/
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 10:52   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Because it's designed specifically as a workboat, not a rich man's toy?

From what I can determine, it's not a hybrid; propulsion is a standard diesel engine driving a prop through a gearbox and shaft.

The generators are, I assume, to operate the boat's extensive machinery, including

1 80t crane w/radio control
1 40t crane w/radio control
1 8t capstan
2 5t capstans
2 64KW hydraulic pumps

Range at full speed and no load is 50 km (though this may be a typo), fuel capacity is 10 cu mt (2640 gallons), so not very favorable for a 'cruising conversion'.

https://www.moenmarin.no/en/produkt/...-electric-eng/
Who mentioned 'rich mans toy'. I had asked about its draft, and we dont know it since that term has various meanings. About all tbose cranes, capstans. Im sure they wpyld sell the boat without those options. in fact I think they mentioned they build to suit the customer. What I would to is have a bunch of solar panels installed, and Im sure it could easily be at least 10 kW, according to what I see as capacities on other hybrid boats. Regarding range....we dont know that either. And why at full load, full speed? What about at 5kts? We dont know. Indeed, who would even put an 80 ton load on the deck, as a livaboard cruiser.
Old 30-09-2021, 11:00   #9

Quote:
I'm seeing the generators as 400v with 118kw of power (far less than 430hp).

I came across one picture where the plimsoll lines show the waterline at 1.8m (about 6ft), so draft doesn't appear anything close to 12ft.

The big question for the hybrid propulsion is what is there assumption for 30% fuel savings. In hybrid cars, it's all about stopping and starting. There is little to no benefit freeway driving...if these are service boats designed for servicing fish pens, they may be assuming a lot of stop & start with only a few hundred meters between. If you take it out and run at cruising speed for several hours, you are likely not going to see the fuel savings.

Now if the cost and the fuel tanks measured in cubic meters doesn't scare you away...I think it could be a really nice option. The pictures of the cabins look very big, wide open and functional. With everything squared off, it may not look as stylish but much more functional than typical yacht interiors.

If you wanted to take a lot of toys (jet skis, runnabouts, sailboards, etc...) the huge back deck with heavy duty crane would make for a great toy hauler. Clear the back deck and you can invite the entire marina over for a back deck BBQ.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 11:08   #10

I certainly have not purchased any industrial workboats lately so don't have any financial insight, but I think jimbunyard and my expectation is that the NabCat would be very expensive to purchase and operate relative to more traditional cruising boats.

"Rich man's toy" probably stems from several examples around of people converting boats to be unusual cruising boats. There is an ex-military tugboat that hangs around Block Island in the summer. From what I have read while the owner may have purchased it for a relatively small amount as it was a tired workboat ready to be 'put out to pasture' the $$$$ required to refit it and the $$$$ required to operate it definitely put it in the category of a rich man's toy.

Perhaps I am wrong but I suspect that it makes a lot more financial sense to just buy "fancy ones with their marble countertops, teak wood floors, cherry wood inlaid tables, etc." However, owning a boat generally makes no financial sense anyway and if you want a NabCat or something similar go for it.
Old 30-09-2021, 11:45   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Well, maybe not. I would assume the interior layout is set up as a workboat, so not what I'd want to live in.

As an analogy last week my wife and I rented a cargo van, instead of a car, for a couple days as it was the cheapest offering. After bouncing and rattling around in that thing for a few days, trying to squeeze it into regular parking spots, and seeing our groceries rolling around the cavernous interior on every corner I know I won't be doing that again to save a couple bucks.

You may be happy living in a boat whose interior makes no sense as a home. I've lived in industrial spaces while working in the arctic. That is not the sort of living environment I'd pay for the privilege of calling my home.

As far as their hybrids providing a 25 to 30% fuel savings, what does that mean? Does it mean they use 30% less fuel that 10 times more fuel that a typical 50' cruising cat?

Maybe it is a great boat for you. I've seen a couple of "industrial" looking power cats used as cruising boats, though they weren't as industrial looking as the NabCat. I'd just not expect it to be a fit for most peoples' wants and needs.
When you compared this boat to an empty cargo van, it means you didnt bother to look at any of the pics of the interiors. Theyre nice, and people do live in them...sailors. And not poor chinese ones, but Norwegians. Great galleys, heads,
lounges, cabins, etc. But sure, no polished carrera marble, no Tiffany lamps, no jaccuzi, no teakwood.
When they say at least 25% fuel savings, they mean compared to the same boat on pure diesel. And did you know about the point of less fuel at 5kts, instead of max speed, fully loaded?
Nobody even mentioned, "saving a few bucks" .
Old 30-09-2021, 11:52   #12
cruiser

Doug, here are a few pics of the interior. Not livable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as-6-styrhus.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	246183   Click image for larger version

Name:	img-7629-683x1024.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	246184  

Name:	moenmarin-290320-38-576x1024.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	246185   Click image for larger version

Name:	moenmarin-290320-10-1024x683.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	246186  

Old 30-09-2021, 11:56   #13
cruiser

Another one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	moenmarin-290320-36-1024x576.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	246187  
Old 30-09-2021, 12:01   #14
cruiser

So much for comparisons to the back of a cargo truck, right?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	moen-m-vettoy-17.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	246188   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior10-1024x681.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	246189  

Name:	Dansani-Mirror-cabinet-interior.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	246190   Click image for larger version

Name:	img-7915-salong-sofa.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	246191  

Old 30-09-2021, 12:52   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'm seeing the generators as 400v with 118kw of power (far less than 430hp).

I came across one picture where the plimsoll lines show the waterline at 1.8m (about 6ft), so draft doesn't appear anything close to 12ft.

The big question for the hybrid propulsion is what is there assumption for 30% fuel savings. In hybrid cars, it's all about stopping and starting. There is little to no benefit freeway driving...if these are service boats designed for servicing fish pens, they may be assuming a lot of stop & start with only a few hundred meters between. If you take it out and run at cruising speed for several hours, you are likely not going to see the fuel savings.

Now if the cost and the fuel tanks measured in cubic meters doesn't scare you away...I think it could be a really nice option. The pictures of the cabins look very big, wide open and functional. With everything squared off, it may not look as stylish but much more functional than typical yacht interiors.

If you wanted to take a lot of toys (jet skis, runnabouts, sailboards, etc...) the huge back deck with heavy duty crane would make for a great toy hauler. Clear the back deck and you can invite the entire marina over for a back deck BBQ.
Valhhala, I think youre right about the motors/generators, and various options. Ive read a fair bit about these various european builders going hybrid, and im pretty sure theyre all claiming about 25% or more, overall. In fact, even re cars, I have a Hyundai Ionique and get way better milage on long trips too, not just in cities. I guess this boat it holds about 2600US gallons of fuel, and it seems impossible to calculate its milage, I like speeds of 5kts.
Also, I mentioned that there is capacity for about 10kw of solar panels above the huge work deck. All that charging the massive battery bank would help with the rangeThats what id do instead of toys. Hopefully they will send me the tech specs, etc. I cant find any price anywhere, but its likely over $2milion. By comparison, a 'fancy' hybrid catamaran, the Silent 55, is about 2.5million.
I think this would make a great long disyance boat.

Tags
draft