Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2010, 03:48   #1

Boat: None Yet!!
Advice Needed

I want to move to the bahamas in the next few years with my partner and 2 young sons.
we would be based in the Abacos, and i would like to be able to cross to west palm beach or fort lauderdale a few times a year. for cheaper supplies (we would like to live fairly self sufficiently)
and the theme parks (for the boys)

I want to find out what of type small boat would be best to look for so i have a few questions?

1, what would be the smallest size boat for safe crossings, safe cruising/fishing around the bahamas and maybe 2-3 nights staying onboard.

2, as we want to keep the boat in Bahamas, would it be best to buy it in the Bahamas or could i buy in florida.

3, if i bought in florida would i have to pay cruising fee every time we left the bahamas and returned?

have loads of questions hope its ok for a total novice to be asking such silly things.

Kind regards
terrie
terriegym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 06:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Terrie and welcome to CF.

I don't have any experience in the bahamas but there are plenty here that do.

For the passage part of it you might try posting in the destinations area.

You are in the right place in regards to powerboat selection.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 07:34   #3

Many thanks for the reply and welcome.

I recently looked at an advert for a 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera Powerboat 26.5ft. the man said it used 6 gph of fuel.

as we would be living on a budget, (we wouldnt need to pay marina fees in the bahamas) and are looking for a boat that would be fuel efficient but able to carry heavy ish loads from the states safely. and room to sleep 2 adults/2 kids.

Am sorry for my ignorace, i am also interseted in any online boat machanics courses, weather reading courses etc. does anyone know where i can go for this sort of thing.

terrie
Old 28-09-2010, 07:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
You may wish to look at "The Abaconian" and "Abaco Life". The first is a newspaper and the second a magazine. Both of these will provide a wealth of information about your potential life in the Abacos. In addition, you will see advertized methods of shipping supplies on scheduled island freighers from West Palm Beach which can cost less than your private boat shopping trips.
Old 28-09-2010, 08:07   #5

Many thanks Captforce,

Yes i have looked at The Abaco life magazine. will look at the other. (little depressing looking at these as want to get there faster!!)

Our main reason to go to the states would be for educational and fun trips for the boys, would not go just to shop but may as well while we are there!!!

Do you know about the crusing permit, would we need to pay for one each time or would we get an annual one with the residency permit??
terrie
Old 28-09-2010, 13:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriegym View Post
Many thanks for the reply and welcome.

I recently looked at an advert for a 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera Powerboat 26.5ft. the man said it used 6 gph of fuel.

terrie

That sounds a bit low to me. Either the engine is only 90HP, or the figures are based on displacement speeds. (Or the salesperson is trying to tell you what you want to hear).

Estimated Fuel Consumption (WOT) = (HP x 0.425)/6.2

I suspect that 2655 is probably running a Mercruiser 350, with closer to 275-300 HP (This is a guess as I haven't had a chance to fully research yet). I'd expect at typical cruising speeds, it would be more like 15 GPH.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 14:08   #7

Thanks shrew, that great.

that gives me a much better understanding,

terrie x
Old 29-09-2010, 09:42   #8

BTW, the Bayliner 2655 would make a good boat for overnighting/weekend trips and even a week long trip. It will be tight for 4 but not undoable. As a kid my parents had a 24 ftr. that we spent every weekend from Friday to Sunday and 1-2 vacations a year. However, they eventually upgraded to a 28 (after 3 years) because my brother and I got bigger and my mother became increasingly frustrated with people being in the way all the time. I would expect a gulf stream crossing is doable in favorable weather (light winds out of the south). I have a buddy that makes the run in a center console about the same size. That boat is not going to be good at carrying loads, short of 4 people and a weekends worth of food, clothes and some gear. Performance and fuel consumption will suffer as weight is increased.
Old 29-09-2010, 09:59   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
terrie, the size of the boat will depend on what you are comfortable with. We consider out MT34 a perfect boat for us for cruising and living aboard. It has more room than our former 40 foot sailboat. You will pay the $300.00 entry fee to cruise back and forth if this is a US registered boat. It does not matter where you buy the boat. The $300.00 fee does allow for multiple entries during certain periods of time, There is lots of information for you to research on the Bahamas web site. If you leave the boat in the Bahamas you will not have to pay the entry fees when traveling back and forth, but you will have to pay the import and customs duties on the boat. So you will need to estimate how many times you will pay clearance compared to paying the duties. If you purchase the boat in Florida you will have to pay fees to Florida. If you purchase it in the Bahamas, you will have to pay fees to the Bahamas. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 10:28   #10

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
6GPH no way except at idle I think Shrew has it right, mine is a little bigger than that ans uses 30GPH at cruise, the 26 is a smallish boat for the gulf stream crossing. I bigger boat with a keel would be much more comfortable, (safer). With that boat you'll be looking for a couple of ice cream flat days to even attempt it. Florida city forums has a full discussion thread on this topic.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 13:54   #11

Thanks so much guys, your comments are great.

I was just looking into booking a skipper training course. the boat they use is a 40' fairline phantom,
As we could only afford a smaller boat to start with, would it be better to learn in a smaller boat, i guess the smaller boats are harder to handle in rougher seas.

Oh i am such a disgrace to a royal naval family!!!!! (better late than never i guess)

terrie
Old 29-09-2010, 14:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
With that boat you'll be looking for a couple of ice cream flat days to even attempt it. Florida city forums has a full discussion thread on this topic.

Have had a hunt on the web for this forum. can you post link for this thread please

Terrie
Old 30-09-2010, 09:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriegym View Post
Thanks so much guys, your comments are great.

I was just looking into booking a skipper training course. the boat they use is a 40' fairline phantom,
As we could only afford a smaller boat to start with, would it be better to learn in a smaller boat, i guess the smaller boats are harder to handle in rougher seas.

Oh i am such a disgrace to a royal naval family!!!!! (better late than never i guess)

terrie
Certainly, learning on a smaller boat would translate better when moving up. Small boats are harder to handle in larger seas, but it is all relative. There's not much difference between a 20 ft. boat in 3 ft. seas and a 40ft. boat in 6 ft. seas (Relatively, all other things being equal). Sure different boats handle differntly and what not, but the point is, running a dinghy in 2 fters in a head sea, following and a beam sea, still gives you feel for what to expect and how to react. It will translate to a larger boat.
Old 01-10-2010, 14:14   #14

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"
If you establish residency in the Bahamas you will not have to pay the fee, which is $150 for boats under 35' and $300 for 35' and up (you can make multiple trips but only within 90 days on one permit). If you do not establish residency, you can still arrange a long term cruising permit through Bahamas Customs and Immigration and the fee will vary depending on your shoreside arrangements. there are weekly trips run by locals Stateside for supplies and such and fees are resonable, contact Marcel Albury for details. Most Abaconians that have small boats prefer a 17' to 24' center console for local use as they are shallow draft and good for fishing, diving, visiting and shopping, and outboard repairs are easily obtained, but most don't run their boats over to the US much. You can fly over to the States pretty much for the same cost as a larger boat if you consider round trip fuel. clearance and dockage fees, and you may always get weather bound at either side increasing the costs. Orlando is a pretty popular destination which the boat won't reach anyway. Take a short holiday and make some aquaintenances in MH or the hub area and get some first hand experience; it will fall into place. It is no longer very cheap to live in the Abacos onshore, like it once was, fuel and electric are very high and grocery prices will make you wince, unless you have a good income or plan a short stay. I am not discouraging you, just recommending you get the 'lay of the land'. We have been going to the Abacos for 40 years now and love the area over all others in the Bahamas.
Old 01-10-2010, 15:02   #15

many thanks for the Advice.

oh how i would love to have a quick holiday, but would cost $3,500. for the flights alone from london at the moment. never mind accomodation!!

we did visit nassau in 2005, even after exploring every inch of the island i found it too developed. however we absolutely fell in love with the people and the attitudes. (i visited jamaica in 1992) which started the love affair i think.

we were supposed to go to staniel cay in 2007 but as i was 29 weeks pregnant we didnt take the risk of having no doctor and stayed in the florida keys instead, just as well ended up in hospital in deerfield beach. was gutted. (Zak was nearly an american!!!)

I have been looking into living mostly on self sufficiency as far as food is concurned as we did notice how expensive the food is. but i think we have figured utility expenses are still less than the uk. fuel here is $7.20 a gallon at the moment.

I have been researching quite a bit, and the more i read through this forum the more i am drawn to cruising