Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2017, 10:19   #1

Advise on new Power Boat

I lost the 50’ sailboat we brought up from the Caribbean in Hurricane Irma and am planning, because the aquatic environment here in Miami is so different, to replace it with a power boat . Though we have put thousands of sailing miles under our keel, this would be our first Power Boat so I am hoping to receive some sage advice from this forum.

I think that a Downeast style 33-38ft express cruiser would be appropriate for these waters (Bahamas to Key West) and our lifestyle. With a budget that limits us to $150K it seems that we will have to choose our boat from those offered by Legacy, Sabreline or Mainship.

While I’d appreciate receiving any suggestions from readers my specific question is:

The Mainship Pilot 34 seems to provide a lot of boat for the money but would I be buying a boat that will needs continuous attention & repair?

Thanks,

Glenn
GPatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 10:57   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Advise on new Power Boat

All boats need continuous attention and repair. Your budget will buy a smaller boat in better shape, or a larger boat which has been neglected. If money is a concern, stay away from pod drives.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:12   #3

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

If you buy a boat that is 15 to 20 years old like I did (1998 Sealine 420 Statesman) you will likely get a boat that was neglected. Older will have probably been refurbished. Newer should be OK.
Be sure to make the owner run the engines to spec at wide open throttle (usually for 1 hour). Get the manufacturer's spec sheet for the engine. If they refuse, assume the engines are bad. Get a good engine survey too.
However, a neglected boat has a low price if you enjoy doing repairs.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 12:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
All boats need continuous attention and repair. Your budget will buy a smaller boat in better shape, or a larger boat which has been neglected. If money is a concern, stay away from pod drives.

nothing but trouble
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 12:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneM View Post
If you buy a boat that is 15 to 20 years old like I did (1998 Sealine 420 Statesman) you will likely get a boat that was neglected. Older will have probably been refurbished. Newer should be OK.
Be sure to make the owner run the engines to spec at wide open throttle (usually for 1 hour). Get the manufacturer's spec sheet for the engine. If they refuse, assume the engines are bad. Get a good engine survey too.
However, a neglected boat has a low price if you enjoy doing repairs.
I can't see anyone running the engines at WOT for an hour; if you are getting an engine survey that should tell you what you need to know.

A good surveyor will be able to determine if the boat has been neglected or not.

If the boat is clean and well maintained it will show.

Good Luck, I bought a 20 year old Carver and couldn't be happier.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 12:29   #6

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

Thousands Islands is pretty right on . . . . plus - NEVER run any motor at WOT for one hour, they're not meant to do that. . . and that is anybody's motor!! We purchased an older Avanti 3685 (Bayliner) Express cruiser style and love it. Yes, definitely get an engine and oil sample survey (get the oil sample after the sea trial) from a reputable surveyor. The boat should be able to run at the cruising speed for over an hour too without showing any issues . . . if it doesn't/can't/won't, walk away.
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 15:42   #7

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

If you are planning on running a power boat in the Bahamas, your best boat is a sportfish. Flybridge is essential for getting in shallow waters. You dont need to run fast, just have good visibility. Buy a new boat with diesels, or older boat with gas engines that can be bought or rebuilt anywhere in Florida for a few thousand bucks . Repowering or remanufacturing diesels can break the bank.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 16:40   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Advise on new Power Boat

However the gas bill on gas motors if you use the boat can break the bank.
Gas boats are the best liveaboards though, cause your not wasting money on motors that aren’t used.

If memory serves when up on plane and running pretty hard our 36’ Sportfisherman with twin Merc 454’s burned about 20 gl an hour, each side. Come off plane and it burned only a couple gls of fuel an hour each side, but of course was at trawler speeds and was a poor trawler at best.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 05:37   #9

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

I assume you are buying one that is 4-7 years old.

There will probably be a fair stream of maintenance for that boat, maybe budget $3500 per year. Working on Mainships is a pain in the ass because they tend to sacrifice system accessibility for living space and creature comforts, however for this model the single engine does have good accessibility.

The Mainships are "average" quality boats.

The interiors of this particular model tend to have above average quality appointments for cost of the boat. So, if you are entertaining or trying to impress, it is a good value for the money.

Since you are looking at a picnic style boat, I assume you are doing short outings in fair weather and calm waters. In that role, I think the Mainship is a reasonable choice.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, power boat