Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2023, 17:48   #46

Boat: S&S 40
Re: Am I ready to live on a 55ft yacht yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualife View Post
Im looking at buying a 55ft flybridge with diesels and living on it in south Florida, at least part time if not full time.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet since im not sure if im ready or not.

THE PROS:

I would be paying cash, no loan to worry about.

I have 10k/m extra income after my living expenses to put into it if needed.

I would be keeping it anchored in a safe area and living on it (almost always attended, not neglected).

I have spent the last 4 years looking at lots of boats and doing a lot of reading and research on the forums.

I have a coast guard captains license and other boat safety courses

I am a very experienced mechanic, but mostly with gas engines. I have worked on diesels doing minor maintenance.

I can do electrical, plumbing, and other misc work myself.

I have tons of tools, i pretty much own 1 of everything at least.

My house is 30min to the anchorage area. So its fast to get back and forth as needed.

A few things im worried about...

THE CONS:

I have 20yrs experience with boating, but all in the smaller boat size, jetskis and 20 to 23ft range boats - nothing anywhere near this large as a 55ft

I have limited experience with diesels

The hurricanes we get in south Florida area concern. I understand from the locals that being in a cove on multiple anchors can work out ok. Lots of boats in the cove survive like this, where they might get beat up in a marina. lots of people also just leave the area, but not sure where the best places are to go. a flybridge would be more effected by the wind than a smaller boat however. We dont get strong hurricanes very often, but its something to think about.

Im also concerned about leaving the boat alone at anchor for any extended period of time. Lots of owners do this with smaller cheaper vessels. but maybe not a great idea with a larger more expensive boat.

Finally, i would be running the generator for Ac when onboard/night. im not sure what the cost is of that. or maybe i can get an additional smaller system to air condition the bedroom only and use less power?

thoughts?

thanks

-Phil
If you have to ask if you are ready, you are not.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 00:25   #47

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

We were in La Rochelle because my wife and I are full time cruisers. Yes, we live on a 40’ sailboat. We just sailed up to England and are headed towards Scotland. So I know a bit about boat living. Enough to know it’s complicated, expensive, and frequently uncomfortable. One thing I believe in is choosing the right boat for the job. If I just want to live on a boat (in bloody Florida, which is barely inhabitable in summer!) I’d choose a houseboat, probably with a flat roof with lots of solar panels. Maybe enough to run an efficient and quiet 12v AC. Burning diesel to keep Yourself cool is just stupid.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:32   #48

My first boat was a 33’ sailboat. Insurance company never even asked if I had been on a boat before. Boat US
mikk60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:45   #49

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
We were in La Rochelle because my wife and I are full time cruisers. Yes, we live on a 40’ sailboat. We just sailed up to England and are headed towards Scotland. So I know a bit about boat living.
We are off Fraser Island at the moment because my wife and I are full time cruisers.
Yes we live on a 60ft powered cruiser. We just spent the last seven years cruising out amongst the islands - zero marinas - so I know a bit about boat living

Quote:
Enough to know it’s complicated, expensive, and frequently uncomfortable. One thing I believe in is choosing the right boat for the job.
I'd suggest you chose the wrong boat for the job
Our experience has been the opposite of yours

Quote:
If I just want to live on a boat (in bloody Florida, which is barely inhabitable in summer!) I’d choose a houseboat, probably with a flat roof with lots of solar panels. Maybe enough to run an efficient and quiet 12v AC. Burning diesel to keep Yourself cool is just stupid.
Big solar is good
As is shading and ventilation
Not convinced on the A/C
It's only the days that have zero wind and 38c/97f that have us considering it but sit in front of a 240v floor fan with a cold beverage and it's fine (for us)
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 01:35   #50

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We are off Fraser Island at the moment because my wife and I are full time cruisers.
Yes we live on a 60ft powered cruiser. We just spent the last seven years cruising out amongst the islands - zero marinas - so I know a bit about boat living

I'd suggest you chose the wrong boat for the job
Our experience has been the opposite of yours

Big solar is good
As is shading and ventilation
Not convinced on the A/C
It's only the days that have zero wind and 38c/97f that have us considering it but sit in front of a 240v floor fan with a cold beverage and it's fine (for us)
Huh? You don’t know me, my boat, or the job we want it to do.

You also don’t know Florida, which is horrific in the summer, between heat, bugs and hurricanes.

Anyway, I wasn’t talking to you but the OP, and the people recommending the burning of massive amounts of diesel to cool an oversized boat.

Whatever.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:50   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Huh? You don’t know me, my boat, or the job we want it to do.
I know you seem unhappy with your choice.
You did say
Quote:
An apartment is much cheaper, vastly less work, and infinitely more comfortable
and that being on a boat is
Quote:
complicated, expensive, and frequently uncomfortable
As that has not been our experience what other conclusion can one make?

Quote:
You also don’t know Florida, which is horrific in the summer, between heat, bugs and hurricanes
I have not been to Florida per se, but do you really think Florida is the only place on the planet to experience high temps, humidity, bugs and cyclones/hurricanes?
Australia has all that
Florida also has alligators whereas Australia has Salt water crocodiles.
Salties would eat alligators for breakfast ,........ when they are not eating sharks.
Quote:
Anyway, I wasn’t talking to you but the OP, and the people recommending the burning of massive amounts of diesel to cool an oversized boat
And I was just pointing out the flaws in your argument.
Whilst also offering some alternatives to simply burning diesel while running a comfortable or as you choose to label it "oversized" boat
Old 02-07-2023, 06:31   #52

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I have not been to Florida per se, but do you really think Florida is the only place on the planet to experience high temps, humidity, bugs and cyclones/hurricanes?
Australia has all that
Florida also has alligators whereas Australia has Salt water crocodiles.
Salties would eat alligators for breakfast ,........ when they are not eating sharks.

What people are trying to tell you is that you suffer from the arrogance of the uninformed.

Cruising in a barely populated area with no marinas does not give you insights into the difficulties of living on the hook in a densely populated, highly urbanized area that is regularly slammed by hurricanes and has virtually no hurricane holes.

In other words, solutions, suggestions and criticisms come easy when you don't know what you're talking about.

Psychologists even have a term for it: the Dunning-Krueger effect. Look it up.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 13:15   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
What people are trying to tell you is that you suffer from the arrogance of the uninformed.

You need to go back and read the post I replied to

Vaste population or supposed lack of shelter was never mentioned
What there was mentioned was
Quote:
You also don’t know Florida, which is horrific in the summer, between heat, bugs and hurricanes
Old 02-07-2023, 14:06   #54

Boat: Hunter 38

1) Leaving your boat unattended for a long time in an anchorage = basically using the anchorage as free wet storage. Will po a lot of cruisers, will be a target for theft

2) Running your generator all the time will po a lot of cruisers

3) You can't make water in many of the places in S FL you might anchor. e.g. in the sounds back side of Largo, ICW, and so on. I'd only do it in Lake Worth near the inlet on an incoming tide

4) Look at On The Hook pump out service, you can get a free pump out service in certain designated places in Monroe County
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht