Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2021, 09:40   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Anchor rode, attached or not

Yes, attach the rode to the boat so you don't take the chance of losing it.

Many boats already have something in the anchor locker designed for this purpose. If yours doesn't install an eyebolt that's fastened to something substantial.

And as others have posted, have a way to cut the rode loose in an emergency.
Old 13-04-2021, 19:45   #17

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

I have talked to other sailors that had runaway chain at sea, scary stuff. It is worthy thinking about the shock load of in my case 55# anchor and 250' of chain.Ocean is pretty deep so no help with rope to slow the drop. On long passages we tie off the anchor but not for short hops which is most of the time.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 08:10   #18

This is the first time I have ever heard of this "runaway chain" thing, but it seems to me that securing the anchor to the bow (a cleat or something similar) would eliminate the threat of this happening.

The instructions for my windlass are pretty clear on this; secure the anchor when underway and secure the rode when anchored. Never depend on the windlass for this.
Old 15-04-2021, 09:13   #19

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
This is the first time I have ever heard of this "runaway chain" thing, but it seems to me that securing the anchor to the bow (a cleat or something similar) would eliminate the threat of this happening.

The instructions for my windlass are pretty clear on this; secure the anchor when underway and secure the rode when anchored. Never depend on the windlass for this.
On a charter we had a runaway chain issue.
First night while anchoring, the chain jumped off the gypsy are rapidly pulled out of the locker(20-30 feet deep anchorage)
I managed to slow it down enough by stepping on the chain to provide resistance.
We had 30 or so feet of chain left and it was not secured on the end!
So it doesnt just happen underway.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 11:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
First night while anchoring, the chain jumped off the gypsy are rapidly pulled out of the locker(20-30 feet deep anchorage)
I managed to slow it down enough by stepping on the chain to provide resistance.
Understood. It has never happened to me though. Perhaps because my gypsy is vertical and the anchor keeps a load on the chain which holds it tight to the gypsy.
Old 15-04-2021, 11:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
my question would be 1) were you using a snubbers? if not, why not?

don
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:57   #22

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
my question would be 1) were you using a snubbers? if not, why not?

don
Once the anchor was down and scope was established, yes we used a bridle. This chain runaway happened as we were paying out chain.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 17:00   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yet another who has a line attached inside the chain locker that reaches up enough to be easily cut, while the rode is chain.

Incidentally, if you have never cut a line when it is under a lot of load, it practically explodes when the knife blade touches it. Something to try and keep your face well away from, for sure!

Ann
Old 15-04-2021, 18:58   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've had a runaway due to my own ineptitude .

Scenario: High winds in the anchorage (30+ knots). Go in to anchor. Release clutch and freewheel the rode. Me (the idiot) thinks he can manage the pay-out with foot and hand. Me (the double idiot) puts myself into a position where I can't reach the clutch on my windlass. And I quickly find I can't hold the chain any longer. Chain is racing out fast and will come to a hard stop once it reaches the full length.

Luckily my Ann came to my rescue and threw the boat into hard forward to save us from coming to a hard end of the anchor. It was after that experience that I learned never to do such a thing again. But I also changed the attachment at the end of the rode a simple nylon line that could be easily cut, or more likely would just snap given the forces involved.
Old 15-04-2021, 19:32   #25

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

As far as a snubber goes it is more likely to have a problem when deploying the anchor before attaching a snubber. But even in that case it would be in anchorage depths mostly under 50 feet. Not nearly the same thing as runaway gear in a thousand foot depth. Next time you walk the docks check out the number of anchors that are tied off or secured in addition to the windlass. Not many I bet. 25 years ago I was setting up for a bow and stern anchor at Hot springs cove Vancouver Island. It was brand new chain and rope and I can still smile when I watched the bitter end go over since I forgot to tie it after marking the lengths. Put the dink in the water and snagged the chain with grapnel anchor first try.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode