Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 07:01   #1

Boat: Sea Ray, 56 Sedan Bridge, 56ft
Any safety issues with this dingy?

Hope this is the correct forum for this. I looked at all the topics and this one seemed like the best. If not, let me know and I will move it.

I will be cruising the Bahamas next year (mostly from marinas). I want to bring by 16' flats boat as my dingy. It meats the weight requirements of my transom lift easily so no issues there. It is a bit wider than the transom but only by about 3' overall. I have included a pic and have more if you would like to see other angles. Here are my questions:

1. This is a flat bottom dingy, so chalks are probably not going to be helpful. Because of that I am thinking of putting it directly on the lift (as pictured) and maybe put a thick rubber mat down between the boat and lift so no scratching occurs. It would have to be situated so that the mat did not impede the water flow for the holes on the lift.

2. I could use chalks, but they would be flat and provide less surface area for the boat to rest on (con). They would however raise the boat up 6" or so off of the platform (pro?). Would that be better? Is there a potential problem with water hitting the bottom of the platform and then the bottom of the boat with no gap (i.e. the boat up in the air)?

3. The bow sticks out a couple feet or so beyond the boat, but I don't think this will be a problem since when running the waves do not hit in that area at all. Thoughts?

Am I over thinking this? I don't plan to keep the boat on the transom when docked. Only crossing over and when moving from marina to marina. I don't plan on trying to dock the boat with the dingy on the transom either (I will have the wife take the dingy while I dock the boat. Any thoughts on this might be helpful as well).

Thanks. Your help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7526.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	223873  
UFGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 07:08   #2

Re: Any safety issues with this dingy?

Do you plan to tie this up to a dinghy dock? Very long for a dinghy. In my area many dinghy docks have limits of 12 or 13 feet.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 07:17   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

it's going to cause you issues with marinas sticking out. Will have to negotiate with them as occurs.

The flat bottom will pound unmercifully in any significant waves.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 07:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Do you plan to tie this up to a dinghy dock? Very long for a dinghy. In my area many dinghy docks have limits of 12 or 13 feet.
I'll tie it up next to the boat or anywhere I can. I'm sure I'll be able to figure something out.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
it's going to cause you issues with marinas sticking out. Will have to negotiate with them as occurs.

The flat bottom will pound unmercifully in any significant waves.
It won't cause any issues with marinas sticking out. As I stated in my post I will not leave the dingy on the transom when docked. I appreciate the input, but the use of the dingy is not the question here. The question is about the safety, stability and any other concern of transiting with the dingy on the platform. Should I use chalks? Is it OK for the dingy to sit directly on the platform as in the picture (assuming I put a large rubber pad down), etc?
Old 21-09-2020, 07:23   #6

Tying it up next to the boat will work in the anchorage and most mooring fields. It will be very tricky in a marina. Tying it to a dinghy dock will be obnoxious. Mot marinas will end you charging you for both boats. There is no "just tie it over there" at marinas where they make money tying boats to their docks.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:26   #7

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I stumbled upon this adrift, 40 horsepower dinghy.

Dinghy had been stowed on the swimstep lift of a 60+ foot power yacht. The ends of the dinghy did not extend beyond the mothership.

Waves had broken the dinghy free while the mothership was underway in sheltered water (see picture).

I was able to contact owner and return his dinghy.

I question the suitability of carrying a dinghy on a swimstep on an offshore passage.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 07:28   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I sure wouldn't go to sea with a dink wider them my transom, especially that low to the water. It sure looks to me like a wave rolling down the side of the boat could catch the bow and tear it right off, or at least damage your davits and bang things up.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 07:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

I question the suitability of carrying a dinghy on a swimstep on an offshore passage.

Steve

Hi Steve. Thanks for the update, but the transom platform is designed to carry dinks. Most everyone I know with a transom lift carries their dingy on it (even when they are in open water). I'm open to other options of course.
Old 21-09-2020, 07:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
I sure wouldn't go to sea with a dink wider them my transom, especially that low to the water. It sure looks to me like a wave rolling down the side of the boat could catch the bow and tear it right off, or at least damage your davits and bang things up.
Thanks. Would it be better if it wasn't so low to the water (i.e. using chalks)? This would raise it up, but it would give it less surface area to sit on as the chalks are just narrow 4" wide strips. Seems like a trade-off. Also, I watched as I run the boat, and the waves don't seem to come anywhere close the side of the boat when running. I think it is because the beam is wider than the transom. Of course I have not check this in 6' swells...
Old 21-09-2020, 07:59   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGator View Post
I'll tie it up next to the boat or anywhere I can. I'm sure I'll be able to figure something out.
Shrew's point was that when you try to go ashore when the motherboat is anchored out, you will have problems at the dinghy dock. Some places you can beach the boat, a lot you can't. That means tying up at the dinghy dock if you want to get ashore. A lot of dinghy docks have allowable length limits.

Having any significant portion of the boat hang out while underway has the potential to have the dinghy ripped off if there is significant waves. I would put it in chocks as tall as possible and strap it down. Keep in mind that if the boat is tied down well enough the waves may rip the step off the mothership rather than ripping the dinghy off the step.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 08:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Shrew's point was that when you try to go ashore when the motherboat is anchored out, you will have problems at the dinghy dock. Some places you can beach the boat, a lot you can't. That means tying up at the dinghy dock if you want to get ashore. A lot of dinghy docks have allowable length limits.

Having any significant portion of the boat hang out while underway has the potential to have the dinghy ripped off if there is significant waves. I would put it in chocks as tall as possible and strap it down. Keep in mind that if the boat is tied down well enough the waves may rip the step off the mothership rather than ripping the dinghy off the step.
Well for the first point, as I said in my original post, I will be in marinas, not anchoring out. Good point to remember for the rare times that I will be going ashore to a dingy dock.

On your second point. OK. You are suggesting I use the chalks. I can do that. I'm assuming you are OK with the trade-off of height to surface area for securing the dingy (i.e. the dingy would ride on 2 4" strips [chalks] instead of the platform). I get your point about the boat sticking out. I also get your point about it's better to have the dingy broken off than the entire transom lift. I'll have to give that more thought. Or maybe someone else has had experience in this area.
Old 21-09-2020, 08:13   #13

I would be concerned that the overhanging bow or stern could catch a wave in a beam sea . All it would take is is a steep face and the boat to roll at the right time.

I get the feeling that the boat is purchased, your mind is made up and what you're looking for is a supporting opinion to justify your decision. I think you know in your heart this is probably a bad idea.
Old 21-09-2020, 08:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I would be concerned that the overhanging bow or stern could catch a wave in a beam sea . All it would take is is a steep face and the boat to roll at the right time.

I get the feeling that the boat is purchased, your mind is made up and what you're looking for is a supporting opinion to justify your decision. I think you know in your heart this is probably a bad idea.
Hi Shrew. I've had the dingy for a while now. It's a great fishing boat. If it doesn't work, then I'll sell it and get something smaller (13 to 14'). No problem there. Even if I have a smaller boat I will still have the question of putting it directly on the platform or up on chalks. If having the boat stick out is a really stupid idea, I'm not going to do it. If it is a "borderline" idea, then I have a decision to make.
Old 21-09-2020, 09:43   #15

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I am not Captain Seafaring with 50 years at sea, But I do have some life experience with wave action, water and physics.

I have bells going off when I see the overhangs and imagine moving through the water at more than 2 knots. I see a really nice fishing flatty getting ripped off the stern of a nice sugar scoop. I see gel coat damage. I see maybe loss of the engine. I see myself doing this and banging my head on the deck of the boat and saying: "I asked the question because I knew the answer."

I think "davit"....picture the disproportionate...lets not call it a dinghybut what it is, fishing boat getting caught by wind or wave action, and hear those same Little Voices saying: "Don't do it Johnny".

This is all just Gut feeling. If you fish keep both and get a nice proportionate RIB.
(Or if you must, sell the really nice fishing boat and get the RIB).
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety