Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 10:00   #61

Boat: Catalac 12 Meter (41') Angel Louise
Send a message via Skype™ to Angel Louise
Wink Re: Anyone switched from Sailboat to Powerboat?

I spent all my life before the last 13 on monohull sailboats With Aux engines. 13 yrs ago decided to retire at 61, sell everything and explore oceans. My wife & I bought a Catalac Catamaran that has ability to be used as a Powercat (2 yanmar 3 cylinder engines). Actually have a complete 2nd mast system with short mast and we used this “Squashed Trawler” to become first boat & couple in World History to do BOTH Great Loops - Europe & America! We find it more stable & faster with short mast, with a 198 inch air draft. We cross oceans & spend most time in Caribbean and other spots with tall 48 ft mast up using all furling sails from cockpit. We both love her luxury with inside & outside helms. Finally have Angel Louise up for sale (she’ll fetch about $98 K ) due to my PMR (severe arthritic condition). All vessels are compromises. Ours took us to 49 countries on shores of 5 continents and we cruised from Southern FL to North Carolina a month ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CE53BDB5-D16F-49A3-8BB6-EAD264DD5E86.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	214155   Click image for larger version

Name:	C44D563A-75A5-4CFB-9238-08A132396BD1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	214156  

Old 01-05-2020, 10:16   #62

Boat: CLC Skerry
Re: Anyone switched from Sailboat to Powerboat?

Plenty of sailors move to trawlers as they get older. A few years ago, after a lifetime of sailing, I switched to a Grand Banks 36. As I was passing close aboard a nice Bermuda 40 yawl, I waved to the skipper at the helm. He waved back and said "Some day I'm going to have one of those." Is this your day?
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 13:22   #63

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We went from a Tayana 37 to a 48' trawler and never looked back.
Old 01-05-2020, 13:23   #64

I have switched to a trawler, lived aboard and cruised For almost 4 yrs.
going up and down the int. Costal, messing around the keys, Bahamas,Carolina, Chesapeake, great. The problem that I had was A. It was not much faster than sail under power. ( no faster than my Cal 2-46 and no where near as capable)
B. No where near as capable as my sailboats in both seaworthiness and range.

The trawler that I wanted, I couldn’t afford, a PDQ 34 power cat. If 2-300K dollars is in your price range for a well used vessel this was the the vessel that was the best compromise to me. A nice and innovative layout with both inside and outside piloting. A great very economical “displacement trawler speed” even with twin Yanmars. And if you wanted, you could pick up cruising speed to 10-15kts and not suck fuel. 16kts and 4 gph sounds sweet to me! Top speed in an emergency twentyish. And no sail drives to maintain, with protected direct drive props.
What’s not to like! For me, just too much money. Fine for a couple with room for guests. People have made reasonably decent offshore passages with them. Certainly the Caribbean is not a problem. And long costal passages say PNW to Sea of Cortez or on to Panama, Nothing else out there fills this bill, so I went back to Sail. Sigh!
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 22:09   #65

DASHEW
simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:55   #66

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhantler View Post
DASHEW
$4,000,000

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:59   #67

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Doesn't mean we can't borrow some ideas from Steve Dashew though...
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:00   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
$4,000,000
Similar price point to their Sundeer line of sailboat.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 16:34   #69

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

I have done I say go for it. Just look for an efficient hull shape, is she ploughs a big furrow in the water forget it. My ship leaves almost zero wake.
Don’t get hung up on fuel use as over a year you use very little fuel. We are cruising not steaming all day every day.
Keep it simple some trawlers are way to complicated. I have one engine 7 litres an hour at 7 knots 1500w solar power 2.4 Kia generator which I rarely use.
Very high on comfort factor simple level living area from helm to aft deck. I can cook on the move and still see forward. I move around upright not ducking and weaving around rig and companion ways.
A big change is how you look at the weather now I look for wind free days.
Yes all a progression I went from mono to cat to power car to mono trawler. For me maintenance is lower.
Enjoy the ride it is far more enjoyable than land living. I can change my out look regularly.
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 16:32   #70

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Louise View Post
I spent all my life before the last 13 on monohull sailboats With Aux engines. 13 yrs ago decided to retire at 61, sell everything and explore oceans. My wife & I bought a Catalac Catamaran that has ability to be used as a Powercat (2 yanmar 3 cylinder engines). Actually have a complete 2nd mast system with short mast and we used this “Squashed Trawler” to become first boat & couple in World History to do BOTH Great Loops - Europe & America! We find it more stable & faster with short mast, with a 198 inch air draft. We cross oceans & spend most time in Caribbean and other spots with tall 48 ft mast up using all furling sails from cockpit. We both love her luxury with inside & outside helms. Finally have Angel Louise up for sale (she’ll fetch about $98 K ) due to my PMR (severe arthritic condition). All vessels are compromises. Ours took us to 49 countries on shores of 5 continents and we cruised from Southern FL to North Carolina a month ago.
What a grand adventure! Congratulations!
~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 17:20   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Ed, sorry to hear of your health problemas.
Seen you many place last several years. Mostly Atlantic City!
Would love to know how the Cadillac did offshore? Would seem like it would be constant slamming on the undersing. Guess it made it!
Old 04-05-2020, 20:02   #72

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Louise View Post
Just *wow*!
Fantastic to read of your accomplishments.

We intend to follow in your footsteps to a large some extent, planning a hybrid-electric (money permitting!) powercat adventure round the two loops. Apart from a few interviews I found online, is there a blog or ebook of your story we can learn from (hint hint)?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat