Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2023, 12:20   #1

Arkansas River Mile 0 to Little Rock

I'm planning to leave Memphis TN and re position my 51' Bluewater Coastal Cruiser (2.5' draft) to the Arkansas river permanently. I'm very familiar with the lower MS having made several trips to the gulf and beyond. I've no experience with the Arkansas river.

My destination is the Little Rock Yacht Club Marina at mile 132 (just past lock #7). I'm specifically interested in possible overnight anchorage (at lock 0 entering the AR from the MS) other anchorages, lock wait times, lift bridges and other issues etc. There is apparently no current cruising guide for the AR River. I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who has semi current experience on the Arkansas river.

Thanks in advance for any notes or stories
Tcheairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 06:25   #2

Boat: Cargile Cutter
Re: Arkansas River Mile 0 to Little Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheairs View Post
I'm planning to leave Memphis TN and re position my 51' Bluewater Coastal Cruiser (2.5' draft) to the Arkansas river permanently. I'm very familiar with the lower MS having made several trips to the gulf and beyond. I've no experience with the Arkansas river.
My destination is the Little Rock Yacht Club Marina at mile 132 (just past lock #7). I'm specifically interested in possible overnight anchorage (at lock 0 entering the AR from the MS) other anchorages, lock wait times, lift bridges and other issues etc. There is apparently no current cruising guide for the AR River. I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who has semi current experience on the Arkansas river.Thanks in advance for any notes or stories

A shame you got no responses. This sight does not have the breadth/depth knowledge that the Trawler Forum does. I suggest you try there. I am assuming you have a trawler and not a blo boat?
Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 07:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

I think I'd reconsider this plan or at least have a chat with the USCG in Little Rock and even drive to Little Rock to visit with owners of boats berthed at the LR Yacht Club marina before attempting it. There are no cruising guides because there are no cruising destinations.....99% of the traffic is commercial barges. You'd be "swimming upstream" for a 132 miles. There is a dredged channel...it's "owned" by the barges. Water level can vary quite a bit with the amount of rainfall...summers are often extended periods of droughts resulting in very low water....heavy rainfalls can result in dangerous currents. I know of few if any drawbridges.

I investigated all this before relocating to Little Rock from Atlanta 22 years ago and opted to sell my boat instead of moving it here.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 11:11   #4

Thanks Peggie, I made a trip to Little Rock and I have reconsidered my plan to move the boat there. You are correct..very industrial, at least in Little Rock. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and take the boat down to the gulf and back up the Tenn Tom to the TN river. Done that before..long tough (expensive) trip.

Tcheairs
Tcheairs is offline   Reply With Quote