Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2019, 04:57   #1

Boat: Aspen c90 LOA 30.5'
Aspen Power Catamaran

Aspen is a proa type (outrigger style, one hull is 35% smaller than the other) single engine power catamaran made in Burlington WA. This design provides propulsion efficiency over the range of speed.

Starting this thread for Aspen power catamaran owners with a self interest to make available questions, lessons learned or good stories.

I am a prospective owner with hull#180 to be launched in spring of 2020. The 31 foot LOA and 10 foot beam yacht (model c90) will be used in the Great Lakes, Canadian waterways, and possibly the Great Loop.

Hope to connect with Aspen owners.
want2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 21:31   #2

Re: Aspen Power Catamaran

Have a small 23 powercat. Currently looking at the Aspen C107 because I want an outboard for power. Have looked at Arrowcat and Aquila so far. I am concerned that there is no good storage for a kayak or dingy on the C107.
hagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 01:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Want2, and hagrid.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27   #4

Thinking about taking a trip up to Washington to look at the C107. Anyone know anything about Aspen boats?
hagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 17:42   #5

Boat: Aspen C120, 42 LOA

following
Lingberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 19:23   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagrid View Post
Thinking about taking a trip up to Washington to look at the C107. Anyone know anything about Aspen boats?
On their website you can schedule a factory tour and a test sail. I have t had a chance to do either— closest I’ve gotten to an Aspen is seeing a commercial one off in a marina.

I’m keen to see what the 150 looks like. Hope they finish the first one this year.
thirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:44   #7

Boat: WorldCat 230 DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagrid View Post
Have a small 23 powercat. Currently looking at the Aspen C107 because I want an outboard for power. Have looked at Arrowcat and Aquila so far. I am concerned that there is no good storage for a kayak or dingy on the C107.
Hadrid, Did you get the C107? I am looking at that or the ArrowCat 320. I like the outboards on the C107 more than the diesel (Less draft and not in the hull).

I have owned a cat since 1998. Started with the SeaCat and now the WorldCat. Looking at something that would allow me to cruise the east coast. Will likely keep my WorldCat for it is an amazing runabout.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
Vizsla_Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2boat View Post
Aspen is a proa type (outrigger style, one hull is 35% smaller than the other) single engine power catamaran made in Burlington WA. This design provides propulsion efficiency over the range of speed.

Starting this thread for Aspen power catamaran owners with a self interest to make available questions, lessons learned or good stories.

I am a prospective owner with hull#180 to be launched in spring of 2020. The 31 foot LOA and 10 foot beam yacht (model c90) will be used in the Great Lakes, Canadian waterways, and possibly the Great Loop.

Hope to connect with Aspen owners.
Want2Boat, how are you liking your C90? Looking for some owner thoughts. In this class of boats, it doesn't appear that the owners are online posting much.
Old 19-06-2020, 14:42   #9

Vizsla Buddy, recently I have conducted two days of training at the factory. Based on this experience I am very pleased with the systems, integration and workmanship. The boat handles, for me, more intuitively than the Nordic Tug 32 which I used at "Trawler School". The ability to back down the fairway with minimal to no back and fill maneuvers is amazing. Soon I will receive the boat for summer fun, delayed by COVID issues. I did my demo ride, last year, on a 107 which was likewise impressive. The feel of both boats seem very similar to me and I do like the additional cockpit of the 107 for storage and lounging. It can have a dinghy carried in a cradle on the stern and the kayak is placed on the rails above the salon top. As for my c90 I will have more experience after a shake down cruise this July.
Old 22-06-2020, 06:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2boat View Post
Vizsla Buddy, recently I have conducted two days of training at the factory. Based on this experience I am very pleased with the systems, integration and workmanship. The boat handles, for me, more intuitively than the Nordic Tug 32 which I used at "Trawler School". The ability to back down the fairway with minimal to no back and fill maneuvers is amazing. Soon I will receive the boat for summer fun, delayed by COVID issues. I did my demo ride, last year, on a 107 which was likewise impressive. The feel of both boats seem very similar to me and I do like the additional cockpit of the 107 for storage and lounging. It can have a dinghy carried in a cradle on the stern and the kayak is placed on the rails above the salon top. As for my c90 I will have more experience after a shake down cruise this July.
Outstanding. Thank you for the reply. Good luck with the new boat and keep me informed.

It sounds like this is your first cat boat. I have been in a cat since 1998. I will ONLY own a cat. Right now I am on a WorldCat 23 DC. I have had at least 10 people say "if you ever sell, call me first.". This weekend I will be making a 65 mile run across and up the Chesapeake to a party. People can't believe I do it in a 23 foot boat (The bay can get real ugly), but I do it all the time. The difference is the twin hulls.

Enjoy.
Old 27-06-2020, 11:46   #11

Boat: Leopard 40

Look at the Leopard 43 power catamaran.

Fantastic value and economical.

Will also work for the Loop.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:47   #12

This July, I conducted performance testing on Lake Saint Clair with winds less than 10 mph and waves less than 0.5 feet. Engine runtime about 12 hours, fuel tanks and water tanks at half. Two occupants and essential load out only, so weight about 8500 pounds. On all runs the tabs were set to position 5 (recommended by Aspen). Engine RPM areas of interest, 1) turbo activates 1500 to 1700, 2) wake from both hulls create drag 2400 to 2800. Subsequent boating under less than ideal conditions similar with this performance.

At the Volvo engine commissioning, the Volvo tech was very impressed with performance, fuel economy and sound levels. During the performance testing sound level at the helm measured between 55 db @ idle and 70 db @ 3200 rpm then plateaued to WOT, 4000 rpm. In choppy conditions 1 foot with period less than 1 sec speed above 3200 rpm comfortable; in swell or crossing wakes speed balanced with angle off bow and use of tabs achieves best comfort.

Ran the boat on Lake Erie with 2.5 foot significant height waves and period of 2 seconds with some discomfort but acceptable with short duration.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aspenC90performanceJuly2020.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	222549  
Old 03-09-2020, 21:22   #13

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Great data! I'm adding it to my powercat database .

One thing - does your "MPH" mean nautical miles or statute miles?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:25   #14

MPH means statute miles per hour. Happy this information is useful. Good Luck.
Old 14-09-2020, 10:26   #15

Want2Boat. Thanks. Couple of more questions for you. I want to do some extended time on the boat (Think Great Loop). How is it sleeping on the boat? Is there enough storage for clothing and such? How is it cooking etc on board?

Thanks in advance.

Tags
catamaran