Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 22:12   #1

Boat: Careel 22
Banca/Pumpboats

Ex-Calif, I've toyed with the idea of buying one of those local Philippine built vessel as in your gallery, a Banca/Pumpboat. Something like this one...Or this larger Banca. I'm no expert on these boats but I reckon the larger Banca at 21 Metres, around 69 feet, would make a beaut live aboard boat.
You seem to know a bit about these boats so I'll ask you...What are they like for getting around S.E. Asia waters?
If any of you other members know anything about these Philippine built vessels, I would like your views on them as a live aboard vessel, strictly for S.E. Asia waters.

Bill
Australia
Old 12-12-2012, 22:53   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Banca/Pumpboats

Bill, if you notice how much the aft section of those outriggers drag thru the water underway, you will realize how much improvement can be made on the locally built ones. They are very inefficient as a power boat!

The bamboo outriggers become heavy and waterlogged after a year of use and need replacement.
They are generally built very cheaply, have powder post beetle problems (buk-buk) and after 3 years, the locals are rebuilding them in stages.

Design wise, great for surf landings, but maneuver like barges and the side stresses on outriggers in sharp/short seas ….(wind against current) have caused many a failure and tourist deaths between Batangas and Puerto Galera. Many of the 100’s of missing fishermen after the last typhoon were using them.

Generally considered as cheap disposable boats, like their homes and not a seaworthy design.
A few expats have built modern versions for specific use, so maybe you can find one that is better made than lashed with fishing line and painted over to look secure
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 14:57   #3

Boat: Careel 22
Re: Banca/Pumpboats

Thanks for the heads-up Pelagic, being forewarned is forearmed.

Bill
Australia