Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2012, 21:13   #1

Boat: Stephens 32 cabin cruiser
Beginner looking for first boat advice.

Hello, I am new to boat ownership. I have been around boats and boat owners long enough to hear their likes and dislikes regarding their boats. I am going to buy a used power boat within the next year. I am stuck and need help with my decision. I love the idea of a blue water trawler, a diesel duck capable of ocean crossings. My wife however is very clear that that it isn't her dream, I have tested the water several times and it isn't going to happen, at least with the next boat.
For those of you who own single engine trawlers do you find them too slow for say a day on the bay type of outing? I realize this is a world cruiser forum, I wanna be one of you but I also love my wife. Given my situation would you suggest a faster sedan cruiser say a semi planing hull or even an old Sea Ray or would you stick to the slower steadier trawler. I know they are very different concepts. I don't really care that much about going real fast, it is not a big factor in my decision making however there is a big difference between 30 knots and 7 knots. I guess my question is are single engine trawlers fast enough for enjoyable day on the bay type boating or are they just to slow. Thanks for the help
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 21:17   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Beginner looking for first boat advice.

I think maybe instead of jumping into owning a boat, that maybe you should charter some similar boats. It may convince your wife to like it and if that happens, it would help the both of you to learn you likes and dislikes of different types of power boats, such as what you consider to be too slow.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote