Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 09:13   #16

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: Boat for canals & coastal cruising - possible?

We've been cruising the past 4 months in a Contessa 28 that we bought without seeing and no survey in the Netherlands. The Dutch tend to look after their boats and this one had a long term owner with many upgrades.
Turned out to be fine. We can raise and lower the mast easily and I'm 71 and wife is 60. The advantage of this boat is that it motors at 5.7 kts and uses 1.1 litres of fuel per hr.Also sails well and is offshore capable which we've now done with her. Also the draft is only 4ft 10 so is fine in the canals. Is big enough to live on if you are good friends !!
I really like this boat, can you tell?
We are thinking about selling as my wife wants to cruise the US east coast next year in a similar boat.
Anyone interested can msg me and I'll give you all the details. Asking 17k euros. John
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:24   #17

Boat: Santana 37

My girlfriend and I are thinking of doing the same thing. Since we are on a limited budget, we have found the Colvic Traveller 28 (aft cabin) to be a good choice.
sailscubasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:59   #18

I have pondered this, thinking much the same but perhaps going a little further than coastal. The conclusion I came to, was a motor sailer of about 30ft. Again I had budget concerns too so looked at boats around £15000, of course you can go cheaper or more expensive. I chose 30' mainly because the mast would be easier to drop when needed. Also the width would mean the restricted canals in the south could be used. Plenty of that criteria available. Tight space wise so maybe if you dont have a width issue or mast etc then I would be looking at bigger and broader, from a living space point of view. My intention is to travel so living space is not an issue as much. The reason I chose a motorsailer against a yacht was shelter, space, for canals. but sail for offshore. a compromise granted but unless your a speed freak then it works.
Mickyzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:25   #19

Interesting thread. Although I've never been on one, I fell in love with the narrow boats many years ago. I like the 6' narrow boats for the fact that they can access the inland canals. It look's as if one could spend a life time or two just exploring the canals, and such a cool boat community. Oh by the by, Scottish American here, Clan Ervin of Drum.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:45   #20

I have been on Narrowboats and been close to canals/rivers, and sea for most of my life. Narrowboats are great but like horses for courses fit in a canal environment. Although I have known Narrowboats that have crossed the channel and done the French canal system. But thats a careful adventure
Your right though you could spend years going around the system. Nice
Old 04-09-2016, 11:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyzip View Post
I have been on Narrowboats and been close to canals/rivers, and sea for most of my life. Narrowboats are great but like horses for courses fit in a canal environment. Although I have known Narrowboats that have crossed the channel and done the French canal system. But thats a careful adventure
Your right though you could spend years going around the system. Nice
Yes I bet that would be careful passage, aren't they very shallow flat bottom boats? And welcome to C.F.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:37   #22

Thanks ... Yes they are very, I have heard of rafting up, but either way a good day needed. Crossing the separation lanes is an adventure in itself!
Old 04-09-2016, 12:16   #23

Encouraging that a few people are suggesting dutch boats of various sorts as we've been interested in some of those already, glad we're not barking up totally the wrong tree.

We're likely to spend the first year or so getting used to living aboard in the canal and then start venturing out to explore the west coast when we're a bit braver. There'll be enough faff associated with getting to the sea anyway that a bit more raising a mast wouldn't be a deal breaker, I think we're still erring towards a motor cruiser though.

Edinburgh isn't connected to the English canal network, the canal only goes as far as Glasgow (less than 100 miles), after which you have to go out into the sea and north into the Crinan or Caledonian canals. This does mean we're not tied to the more restrictive width of the narrowest canals but also that we're limited in our inland waterway exploration.

Is there anything we should look out for that means a boat is not intended for taking on the sea? I know well decks are a bad idea, as I assume are sliding roofs (like on a broads cruiser), is an engine of under a certain size a warning sign? Anything else that we should be watching for? I know some boat manufacturers have good information on their websites but there's a lot of boats I can't find much info about. Thanks : )
DaisyMcDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:52   #24

Dutch barge could be ideal, Fuel cost may be limiting a little at sea. but if thats not an issue then it would be good for short trips in good weather. Otherwise you may need something with a hull to take a sea.Not that Dutch barges cant, but I have seen some get into trouble. If its power then yes engine size is important too but usually that type of boat like a cruiser would be fitted with the right engine. I dont know canal depths up there but you will need to consider draught if its an issue. I mean that the hull depth wont matter if the water is deep enough. should be info like that on the web. But the depth of the boat will be the issue, Plan for the minimum in your area. Nothing worse than wanting to go somewhere and you cant because the water in the canal is not deep enough.
Look on Apollo, good site and you can pick type etc from the menu. looking where its moored is a good indication, like pictures of river, sea etc. if its in a harbour then there's good chance its a sea boat etc. As you look you learn and change your mind a lot lol but thats not a bad thing, You could try charter in your area too.
Old 04-09-2016, 14:17   #25

Boat: 1975 30 ft dutch steel cruiser

Hi Daisy,

I cruise the canals and rivers of sw france, mostly along the canal du midi
which is the route that hundreds of sailboats use to travel from the atlantic
at bordeaux to the med at a few points on the east of frances med coastline.
The canals are approx 1.5 metres (5ft) in the centre rising to about a metre
3ft 3ins at the banks. Some of these sailboats are quite big, 30/40 footers &
when I see them coming against me I generally move as close as possible to
the bank as I only draw 3ft/90 cm & I assume these craft have keels that might run to 5ft...when they tie up for the night they pull as close as their keel will allow & use a plank to disembark.. The yachts that appear to have the least
trouble using the canals always appear to have twin keels..which of course
would be ideal for your plan involving popping in and out of rivermouths.
My 30ft dutch steel cruiser would be f all use on all but the calmest of
coastal waters...twin keels...
NV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 14:41   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV US View Post
Hi Daisy,

I cruise the canals and rivers of sw france, mostly along the canal du midi
which is the route that hundreds of sailboats use to travel from the atlantic
at bordeaux to the med at a few points on the east of frances med coastline.
The canals are approx 1.5 metres (5ft) in the centre rising to about a metre
3ft 3ins at the banks. Some of these sailboats are quite big, 30/40 footers &
when I see them coming against me I generally move as close as possible to
the bank as I only draw 3ft/90 cm & I assume these craft have keels that might run to 5ft...when they tie up for the night they pull as close as their keel will allow & use a plank to disembark.. The yachts that appear to have the least
trouble using the canals always appear to have twin keels..which of course
would be ideal for your plan involving popping in and out of rivermouths.
My 30ft dutch steel cruiser would be f all use on all but the calmest of
coastal waters...twin keels...
Thanks for adding that post with all the good info above. I found it very helpful.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 16:10   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

...and there is always this option!
CANAL AND RIVER BOAT TRANSPORT PHOTOS

these are kind of fun too:

Those barges are pretty fast!
Did you see that guy sounding with a stick as they are sailing? Pretty amazing stuff.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 16:11   #28

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Daisy,

When I look at boats for sale, there are many in the Netherlands that appeal to me.

Here is one that is going to be auctioned. I find it very appealing, and would love to have this as a liveaboard cruiser for canals and river and bay power cruising. The mast will be on a tabernacle base to make it easy to lower when going under bridges.

You should check the specs carefully to see if it would work in your location. But, this is a TYPE of boat designed for the purpose you have in mind.

That said, it is a steel boat. You may want to limit your maintenance to GRP or Fiberglass hulls only. I happen to like steel boats and the Dutch generally make good ones.

1978 KEMPALA KOTTER Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
What a coincidence we are toying with the idea of the canals in about a year or so and have been considering that exact boat but on a different web site!
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 16:49   #29

Boat: 1975 30 ft dutch steel cruiser

no sweat steady eddy,
just don't go enginey on me... if you or any of the guys need help on stuff in my neck of the woods just ask..I live here all year round and as long as there is no coin involved I more than happy to advise... a late friend of mine called france "a little piece of heaven that fell to earth" ...he was'nt wrong..and the french are'nt bad either... Norman
NV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 17:30   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
What a coincidence we are toying with the idea of the canals in about a year or so and have been considering that exact boat but on a different web site!
You have good taste!

I would enjoy doing the same, and would be very happy to do so in that Kotter. It looks superb.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising