Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2021, 10:05   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Boat prices

Well, everyone has their own spin on things, that is for sure.

I built my first boat, so there was no hunting around for that.

My next two boats had been on my radar screen for some time, but the prices were a tad high.Though I had gone to see the boats, I did not put any offers out. Out of the blue, the first one was offered to me at a substantial discount due to the owners failing health, I'm talkin' a 50% discount...what was I to do....I bought it.

The next one also had a price that was a tad on the high side. Unexpected divorce proceedings from the owner also dropped it into my lap at a substantial discount. I could not refuse the opportunity, so bought it.

My opinion is that if you "put it out there", the right boat will come at the right time at the right price.

Almost universally, the "asking" price will not be what the boat sells at. A boat seller that hasn't sold his boat in over a year, but has to continue making slip and insurance payments becomes a motivated seller. Slip and insurance can amount to $10-12K a year for your basic 40' boat....if the owner is not using the boat, the boat becomes a financial liability.

" listed" boat prices are most often not very realistic. Almost any broker is able to tell you what your boat is likely to sell for, as they have access to Sold" boat prices, but owners invariably " try" for a higher asking price, with the result the boat will just sit on the market.

You can ask whatever you want for your boat and list it like that, but your odds of selling it will be marginal at best, and the longer your boat is on the market, other issues will crop up. Engine and boat maintenance suffer, so this affects price, etc.

Straight from the Yachtworld website:

With over 110,000 boat listings, YachtWorld has the largest database of brokerage boats for sale offered by more than 2,900 yacht brokers and 70 manufacturers worldwide.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 10:36   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Boat prices

I bought my latest boat here in Greece last October largely while there was reasonable supplies . I sold my previous boat in Ireland 4 weeks prior , I had two competing bidders whereas the year before I had no takers at the offer price !!

One broker commented “ I’ve done more business in the last 4 months then in the last 4 years “ another broker I had a pint with in Lefkada said “ it’s manic “

Boats are being bulk shipped to Holland because so few boats are available for sake there brokers have run out of suitable stock

This year I notice similar boats up about 10% in asking and anecdotal feedback is that asking prices are firmer

I have friends in the RV sales business “ everything that rolls is gone “

I live in a holiday home area near a beach , my neighbours house ( identical to mine ) sold in 4 weeks for 3x what he paid 5 years ago and he achieved 15% over asking

There are now extremely few houses around me left for sale

I can only comment on what I see

This is not a good time to get deals. In a few years yes indeed a lot of this stuff will be back on the market.

The sailing season is in full swing here
Old 22-07-2021, 12:50   #18

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Sailboat sales were already on the rise with aging boomers getting out and selling the boats they’ve had since 1980s.

The new glut of buyers has a high proportion of first timers or those moving up from daysailers. Some will stick with it.

Yeah 2-5 year horizon.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 14:28   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

As I've mentioned previously, I am in the market for a new boat. To this end, I peruse several of the brokerage lists of area Yacht Brokers, but I see the same boats listed, month after month.
I've also heard that insurance companies are reluctant to write policies for boats beyond a certain age, which may add to the problem.
Another complaint I've heard, is that older boats are also equipped with dated electronics, sails and other equipment, which is a turn off to many prospective buyers as this means added $$ to upgrade the equipment.
Add in jacked up marina fees, insurance, etc, it becomes a bit of a morass for a prospective boat buyer.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, price