Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2019, 04:25   #1

Boat Shopping

I am considering buying a Gulfstar 49 Motor Yacht. She is located near NY City and I am in northern Minnesota, so I would have to cruise her to Duluth (I think she is too big to be trucked). I am a lifelong sailor (up to 42') but have no experience piloting a motor yacht. Any suggestions on how to economically move her to Minnesota? Thanks in advance for your help.

Austin
ausmoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 05:15   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Boat Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmoran View Post
. Any suggestions on how to economically move her to Minnesota? Thanks in advance for your help.

Austin

Slowly. The faster you push the hull the more fuel it consumes.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 05:24   #3

The obvious answer would be through the Great Lakes, but there are some limitations that you would have to be certain the boat can meet. Check here for your best information:
https://www.greatloop.org/

Of course, another answer would be to find a boat that is already within the Great Lakes.

Good luck.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 05:35   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmoran View Post
I am considering buying a Gulfstar 49 Motor Yacht. She is located near NY City and I am in northern Minnesota, so I would have to cruise her to Duluth (I think she is too big to be trucked). I am a lifelong sailor (up to 42') but have no experience piloting a motor yacht. Any suggestions on how to economically move her to Minnesota? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sounds like a pleasant trip. If the waterline link is approx 47' (just a guess), best cruise fuel economy will be in the neighborhood of 7 kts (maybe approaching 2 NMPG depending on engines?), at least not exceeding 9 kts (somewhere between 1-1.5 NMPG?)

Lots more "slow boat" folks on trawlerforum.com (sister site) if you'd like to ask similar questions there. Might be someone who knows the route, etc.

The American Great Loop Cruising Association (AGLCA, something like that) would likely have info since some of your route will be part of the Great Loop. Might be some air draft issues depending on exact route (Erie Canal?) and they'd likely highlight that.

-Chris
Old 13-06-2019, 06:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Picking up on Sail Monkey's and Ranger's posts, your hull speed, the fastest you can go (in knots) without the first bow wave not supporting the transom, ergo you start plowing and blow out your bank account, is 1.34 times the square root of your waterline length in feet. If that's 47 feet, 6.86 X 1.34 = 9.2 knots. If she's diesel, you ought to be able to keep her above 2 nautical miles per gallon. Slow down and enjoy the Fall colors.

Tags
boat, shopping