Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 13:40   #1

Boat: Viking 44
Boats in Florida

I am going to leave my boat for 6 months in Florida April-October while I go back up north. I have a free dock available to me at a private home off of the intercostal in the Lauderdale area with electrical. Would it be better to leave it there in the water or take it out and store it on land? If I store it at the private slip I could leave fans on and/or an air unit, or is there a better way?
And if I should store it on land how do you keep it from getting moldy inside. Sorry to have so many questions.
edbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 13:43   #2

Boat: Looking...
Re: Boats in Florida

You also need to be sure you understand the tax implications if your boat is not registered in Florida.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 14:04   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Leaving a boat in the water unattended in Florida is a risk I would not take. Especially if it is plugged into shorepower. Also you would need a diver every couple of months. I store my boat in FL on the hard and have never had a mold problem. Formaldehyde is the answer.
Old 16-01-2013, 14:14   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Someone needs to check in on it once in a while, you can run a demystified to keep the mold out- things can happen if you leave the boat in the water unwatched
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 14:37   #5

Left mine in Fl in the water for 1.5 years with only two visits. However my broker showed the boat occassionally. (not as much as I would have liked!) I had more issues with the boat I stored on the hard, but nothing big really. On the hard, with little breeze, things get very hot inside. Doors swell and wont close etc. If you can somehow leave a few ports open with screens, but protect from hard rain the ventilation is good.
Advantage to storing on the hard is the taxman doesnt go after you. (at least last I heard) Although they didnt on the above boat (in a backwater home dock) either.
Plug every hole in the boat if storing on the hard. (tank vents, thru hulls etc) Things like to establish residence in those places! There's a very pourous type of foam product (like Rain Gard for gutters) you can stuff in the thru hulls.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 14:49   #6

Boat: Viking 44

I can have someone check the boat or open it all the time if that is an issue. And what is a "demystifed". Do you mean dehumidifier?
edbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida