Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 07:09   #16

Re: Boston Boat Owners!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
All the commerical cruise boats out of Boston come up to Rose Marine in Gloucester for haul out and maintenance. It's the go-to place around here for heavy work like that.
Thanks! I was waiting for a good Gloucester referral figuring Gloucester would be the place to go, with all the commercial boats up there and all. But, I wasn't sure who.
Old 27-02-2014, 07:10   #17

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. These threads are a great resource for me!!!
Old 27-02-2014, 08:57   #18

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I'm just exploring worst case scenarios. I'm not a fan of costly surprises, so I try to figure on the worst in most cases then hope for the best. The boat has a generator problem. Maybe it can be repaired, but I want to keep in mind the possibility that I could have to replace, hence I like to have an idea of the cost. The reason that I said 20kw is because that is what it has now, so I was figuring I would have to replace with the same. I am going to double check that I wasn't mistaken with the 20kw.
Before you make an offer on the boat you should know if the gen set can be fixed or if it has to be replaced. Gen set are more fickitey than most females! They have some many alarms and shut downs. The Eagle gen set had and still has a problem that I wired around so it does not shut down until I want to shut it down, the same with the 671. If the engine runs the generator part can probable be fix. If the engine might be able to rebiuld in fame/place.

Even if the boat has a 20 KW that is a huge gen set for a 60 ft boat especially if you plan on installing a diesel boiler heating system that also heat the hot water, and convert the stove/oven to propane. The way the Eagle is set up a 5KW, 40 amps, is the right size.

No matter the reputation of the yard, I would never ever pull at a yard that does not allow others and you to work on your boat. That way they can ot hold the boat hass hostage and/or not slash the boat until you pay their price. I have kick sever all my boat, and/or had my attorney call them.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 10:02   #19

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post
No sales tax on boats in RI! No property tax on boats in RI!
Says who, John Kerry!
Old 27-02-2014, 11:18   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

20kW actually sounds close for a 60 foot with air conditioning, fridge, freezer, electric range, etc., allowing for starting inrush currents. Though I might look at an inverter generator. Fisher panda has a nice one.

World Debut of Smallest Sound-Insulated 20 kW Generator

Two at 10kw might be good too, depending on if you have a central chiller or not.

Throw a soft start/VFD on the larger compressor motors and you could probably cut 5KW off that size.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 12:52   #21

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
Says who, John Kerry!
Yes! Kerry didn't get in trouble for not paying taxes on the boat in RI where he purchased and docked it.

He got in trouble because if you bring your boat into Massachusetts for longer than 1 week, IIRC, then you are supposed to pay a user fee equal to 6.25% of the value of the boat.

Gotta love Taxachusetts! Can't wait until I cut the lines and never come back. 19 months to go!
Old 27-02-2014, 15:01   #22

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
Yes! Kerry didn't get in trouble for not paying taxes on the boat in RI where he purchased and docked it.

He got in trouble because if you bring your boat into Massachusetts for longer than 1 week, IIRC, then you are supposed to pay a user fee equal to 6.25% of the value of the boat.

Gotta love Taxachusetts! Can't wait until I cut the lines and never come back. 19 months to go!

Actually, he got into trouble because he was planning to keep the boat in RI for a year and then bring it to Mass. If you do it that way, no sales tax. Folks suggested that, as a sitting Senator from Mass., he really shouldn't do that to avoid the sales tax. He was basically shamed into paying the sales tax.

I am a genuine home owning RI resident, and I have been very careful to stay out of Mass. with my boats until the year after purchase, as I may live there in a few years and will bring the boats there at that point.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 18:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Thanks! I was waiting for a good Gloucester referral figuring Gloucester would be the place to go, with all the commercial boats up there and all. But, I wasn't sure who.
Rose's is a great place. Good honest people, and a first rate marine supply store, fabrication shop, and hydraulic shop. It's not a 'yachtie" place by any means, but many times that's a good thing.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 19:11   #24

+1 on Roses. It's always best to get mechanical systems fixed at places that do commercial work - like Roses. And I'll be really surprised if they can't fix your genset for a whole lot less than a new one.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 19:16   #25

What really annoyed me about Kerry's boat is he had it built in New Zealand. He could have gotten a better built boat in New England for no more money - and kept seven million dollars in the local economy.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 07:48   #26

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
20kW actually sounds close for a 60 foot with air conditioning, fridge, freezer, electric range, etc., allowing for starting inrush currents. Though I might look at an inverter generator. Fisher panda has a nice one.

World Debut of Smallest Sound-Insulated 20 kW Generator

Two at 10kw might be good too, depending on if you have a central chiller or not.

Throw a soft start/VFD on the larger compressor motors and you could probably cut 5KW off that size.
Let me try again!

20kw is 160 amps 120 volts or 80 amps 240 volts. IF the dock power is either 50 amps 120 volts = 6kw, OR 50 amps 240 =12kw. The boats amp demand should be reduce down to the dock shore power available. Remember 240 volts is really two legs/wires of 120 volts.

If the boat is a power hog it would be better to reduce the amp demand converting heat and hot water to diesel and stove/oven to propane/diesel. When we bought the Eagle it was a power hog so we kept tripping the dock breaker. That got old in a hurry, especially when my wife refused to do out in the cold/rain/snow and flip the breaker. So we decided to reduce the amp requirements by installing as diesel heating system and convert the stove to propane. Drop from 50+ amps to 20 amps in the dead of winter. The last I heard GG was going to install a diesel boiler to heat the boat so the amp demand would be less?

I would pull at a commercial yard before pulling at a pleasure yard. Also at a yard that allows you and other to work on your boat. I got so pissed at a pleasure yard, I brought my own plant guys in to finish/do the botched job a yard did, then they would not splash the boat unless I paid them for the botched job. I had my attorney call and I was going to suit for triple their cost just for fun.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 08:11   #27

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post
Actually, he got into trouble because he was planning to keep the boat in RI for a year and then bring it to Mass. If you do it that way, no sales tax. Folks suggested that, as a sitting Senator from Mass., he really shouldn't do that to avoid the sales tax. He was basically shamed into paying the sales tax.
You mention keeping the boat in RI for a year but I believe that the actual amount of time you must own a boat before bringing it into Taxachussetts without being obligated to pay the use tax is 6 months. Does anyone know for sure if that's correct?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 08:29   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Let me try again!

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=4]20kw is 160 amps 120 volts or 80 amps 240 volts. IF the dock power is either 50 amps 120 volts = 6kw, OR 50 amps 240 =12kw. The boats amp demand should be reduce down to the dock shore power available. Remember 240 volts is really two legs/wires of 120 volts.
Oh dear, I must not know anything at all.

Honey The difference between shore power and generator sizing is inrush current. Any EE will tell you you don't size the generator for the connected load, You size it for the starting inrush of the connect load.

Motors when started need 150% or more of rated amps to start the motor, depending on motor windings, etc.

On land the power plants deliver that inrush, no problem. It only happens for a second or so, and all breakers will handle the momentary surge. For emergency power and shipboard power, you must factor in the starting inrush when sizing the generator.

That is why I said it sounded about right. 12kw with inrush is 18kw or perhaps a bit more. To reduce the starting inrush, one can use a soft start VFD that limits inrush current on inductive loads. EE's love VFD's on large electrical loadsand even require them in many cases where standby generators are installed.

Don't factor inrush into the generator sizing and you will burn out the generator somewhat quickly.
Heathing is not the issue, its the air conditioning compressors and other electric motors that are the problem.

BTW, 120V is taken from a 240V leg to center tap neutral point (zero crossing). You get two 120V legs at 180 degrees out of phase from each other. Also called split phase. Add two 120V legs from the same half phase and you get 120V. You actually don't make 240V from 120V. Its the other way around.

Sort of like thermodynamics, energy flows from a higher state to a lower energy state and never the other way.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 09:02   #29

My understanding is that is 6 mos. Also the issue was after spending $7mil on it to be built in New Zealand ('cause there aren't any boat builders in his Senate area or home country who could build a boat good enough for him i suppose.) he wanted to show it off on the island for 4th of July, and caught on film doing so, which was just a little bit shy of the magic 6 mos, so if the registered owner was a MA resident/corp/entity it would owe MA Sales and then Property taxes on it going forward. At least that is what I remember. The (legal) tax dodge was pre-planned, it was the new toy syndrome that caused the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
You mention keeping the boat in RI for a year but I believe that the actual amount of time you must own a boat before bringing it into Taxachussetts without being obligated to pay the use tax is 6 months. Does anyone know for sure if that's correct?
jahillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 10:17   #30

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahillsr View Post
My understanding is that is 6 mos. Also the issue was after spending $7mil on it to be built in New Zealand ('cause there aren't any boat builders in his Senate area or home country who could build a boat good enough for him i suppose.) he wanted to show it off on the island for 4th of July, and caught on film doing so, which was just a little bit shy of the magic 6 mos, so if the registered owner was a MA resident/corp/entity it would owe MA Sales and then Property taxes on it going forward. At least that is what I remember. The (legal) tax dodge was pre-planned, it was the new toy syndrome that caused the problem.
Couldn't have happened to a nicer aging gigolo!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote