Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 01:36   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
Boston Whaler Conquest 315 as a starter boat

I am wondering if there is anything better than a Boston Whaler Conquest 315 as a starter boat.

Eventually I would like to get a somewhat larger, more open water boat, but the one I have in mind will have to be built so it will take a year or two to get it. In the meantime, I am looking at getting a Conquest 315 as a starter boat. I would only be using it in Boston Harbor for all day cruises and some light fishing. I might be using it on rainy or days so I need some foul weather ruggedness. I also need a boat I can easily handle by myself.

Since I am planning to sell it in a year or two to get my more permanent boat, I want something with good resale value. In Boston, the whalers have a good reputation, so they sell strongly.

One disadvantage is that a 315 is too big to trailer easily and will require permits to move on a road.

Is my plan for the 315 a good one, or is there a better option that I should consider?
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 03:47   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Boston Whaler Conquest 315 as a starter boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
I am wondering if there is anything better than a Boston Whaler Conquest 315 as a starter boat.

Eventually I would like to get a somewhat larger, more open water boat, but the one I have in mind will have to be built so it will take a year or two to get it. In the meantime, I am looking at getting a Conquest 315 as a starter boat.

Both new builds? Might be serious depreciation issues... especially if you buy the BW fully intending to sell in a couple years.

Are there no existing (and for sale) instances of your eventual target?

Can't speak to other factors, but economically it often makes sense to buy your second (or third, or whatever) boat first.

BW has a mostly good rep, so if the 315 style/design and features suits you, could be a likely choice. I expect there are other makers who offer similar models... so some comparison shopping might help you decide.

-Chris
Old 26-11-2017, 05:28   #3

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Both new builds? Might be serious depreciation issues... especially if you buy the BW fully intending to sell in a couple years.
No, the whaler would be used. I was thinking maybe a 2013 or 2014.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 18:55   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

A used 28 Whaler Outrage Cuddy model would be a better boat for rainy Boston weather and you can put it on trailer in winter
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 04:20   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Whalers do have a good reputation and good resale value because of it. And they're good boats.

That said, I personally don't think you get the value for the extra $$. And on the flip side of that equation, as a buyer you're paying that premium. Maybe you'll get more when you sell, but I'm not sure it's always worth paying more up front.

Grady-White is also a good build, and there are a bunch of lesser known brands in that category, also well made.

If you'll be trailering, there are a lot of options that'll get you into a "pocket cruiser."

I'd just warn that for extended cruising as a couple, you probably want a proper head, not just a porta-potty under the v-berth. It's a whole different world than day fishing with the guys! Likewise, that great open cockpit and walk-around that are perfect for fishing, suck when you're sitting out three days of cold rain. Make sure you have some "living" space.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat