Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 15:36   #1

bow plate anchor protector

We bought a Cruiser Yachts 405 last year and the people before us put a lot of small nicks in the bow with the anchor. They are small but right on the top of the bow. A bow plate would cover this very easily, but not sure where to get one that we know will fit our bow? Any ideas, would like stainless steel.
Buster405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 17:08   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: bow plate anchor protector

We had the same problem when we bought this boat... our first with a nearly plumb bow. Our first response was to have a stainless shield made that was a close fit to the bow profile. Cost a bunch but looked quite smart... until the dents started appearing. Seems that the edges of the anchor (Manson Supreme) were small enough to put pretty big spot loads on t he s/s, and dents kept proliferating, and it looked pretty daggy.

Replaced it with a PVC matting material, about 6 mm thick, similar in colour to the hull. Stuff was allegedly fairly UV resistant, soft enough to absorb the blows without marking, fairly inexpensive and easy to install. Quite unobtrusive, too! This is now around 10 years old. It has some minor staining and the surface is getting a few small cracks, likely UV damage, but it is still completely functional. I'm quite happy with this solution.

Jim
Old 02-03-2019, 04:45   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Call Cruisers?

And there's a Cruisers owners group on line somewhere...

-Chris
Old 09-07-2023, 09:43   #4

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter

That sounds like a great solution! I don’t know exactly that is and I am trying to find some. Can you desribe it’s purpose and where you got it did you got it?
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 14:05   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreproject View Post
That sounds like a great solution! I don’t know exactly that is and I am trying to find some. Can you desribe it’s purpose and where you got it did you got it?
If this was directed at me, sorry, can't really help you with specifics. I got it from the shipwright who built our boat and he got it somewhere in Australia, over twenty years ago.

However, I would look at Grainger or such a supplier in the States.

As I recall, after making a cardboard pattern and fitting it to the bow, I cut out the shape and used a heat gun to warm the center line (where it wrapped around the stem) to soften it and bent it to shape. Used some small self-tapping screws along the edges to hold it in place and some sort of Sikaflex to seal the edges to the hull. The exact means of attaching are not important for there is little force trying to separate the guard from the hull.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 09-07-2023, 15:37   #6

I wonder if the same lexan used for hatches (scratch and UV resistant) would be a good material for the same thing described above. I have bent it using a heat gun (or very carefully with a blow torch). The transparency would make it extra un-obtrusive, and obviously it's very tough stuff.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 07:49   #7

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If this was directed at me, sorry, can't really help you with specifics. I got it from the shipwright who built our boat and he got it somewhere in Australia, over twenty years ago.

However, I would look at Grainger or such a supplier in the States.

As I recall, after making a cardboard pattern and fitting it to the bow, I cut out the shape and used a heat gun to warm the center line (where it wrapped around the stem) to soften it and bent it to shape. Used some small self-tapping screws along the edges to hold it in place and some sort of Sikaflex to seal the edges to the hull. The exact means of attaching are not important for there is little force trying to separate the guard from the hull.

Good luck!

Jim
When I googled PVC MATTING, floor mats came. Is that the same thing as what you used?
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rot