Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 11:15   #1

Boat: working on it
Camargue 48 CPMY

Greetings all! Newbie here and already looking to pick some brains. I'm a Texas resident but my heart is in the PNW. While looking for a place to buy as a weekend/vacation destination, I visited some friends who live aboad a Tollycraft 48 in Shilshole Bay Marina in Seattle. After two days I was sold. So I've found a boat that rings all my bells but I'm completely unfamiliar with the brand. Hoping some folks here might be familiar with it, because I'm in talks with the broker and am about to pull the trigger. It's a 1989 Camargue 48 CPMY, claimed to be Bristol condition. Pics indicate that might not be that far off the mark

As an absentee owner, it was suggested that if I buy it I should put it out to charter during the summer to help defray expenses, because 8 weeks charter during the summer drastically reduces my cost of ownership. I've got a charter outfit lined up and they're ready to add it to their fleet. I welcome comments from anyone who is at all familiar with the brand and whether it's a good charter candidate. I'm not looking to make a killing, just subsidize it and share it with others who'll be vetted and will prevent it from just being laid up in a slip, unused during our absence.

If this is in the wrong forum, please advise me and I'll redirect it.

Thanks in advance

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../#.W3cOGy3My1s
salishpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 22:44   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Camargue 48 CPMY

IMO, for that age of a boat and the amount they are asking, your choices could be better. It looks a lot like a Carver. Also, I'm sure someone is willing to list your boat for charter, but don't expect a lot of action. And if so, the cost to charter will probably equal the $ brough in.

A 40 year old salt water boat - again, I'd be cautious.
Old 20-08-2018, 15:58   #3

Boat: working on it
Re: Camargue 48 CPMY

Palarran, thanks for the reply! I attempted to submit this reply on Saturday but for some unexplained reason it was rejected as suspicious. I complained to admin but nothing was done. I don't know if this post will even publish, but if it doesn't, I'm done here and will just be a lurker. Hooray, it published!

The boat is 29 years old, not 40.

The Pacific Northwest is some of the most majestic protected cruising waters in the world and a prime market for charters.

Financial forecast projects San Juan Islands bare boat charter revenues of $4750/week for 6 weeks and $4500/week for 2 weeks during high season, or $37,500 per season, less loan payments at 4.75%,maintenance, moorage, insurance etc, leaving me with net annual expenses of appx $4000. The vessel has a bow thruster, full beam galley with dish washer and trash compactor, reverse cycle Cruisair HVAC, room for stacked clothes washer and dryer, clean haul out and mechanical survey and oil analysis.

The hull design is identical to the Uniflite 48 Yachtfisher, but shares none of the Uniflite blister problems, since the hull treatment used was unique to Uniflite. The hulls are also virtually identical to Offshore yachts of that era.
salishpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote