Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2017, 11:02   #1

Boat: Chung Hwa, Ponderosa Europa, 42, & 45' Jefferson
Cape Coral to Stuart Fl

I understand that with the current drought in Central Florida, the rim canal from Moore Haven to Clewiston is pretty iffy draft wise.
Per "Captain" Sam at Roland and Martin Marina in Clewiston, there's only 3 1/2' in that ditch now.
I'm planning my trip at the end of May, What are the chances that that area will get enough rain by then to be reasonably navigable?
I draw 3'.
Thanks
Teri
Terixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 05:58   #2

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: Cape Coral to Stuart Fl

If that's the true depth... and you might want to check with the Army Corp of Engineers, who maintain the waterway... I wouldn't go through there right now with that draft. In Florida, there will be pretty much zero significant rainfall between now and about late June or early July when the summer rains hit. Typically, the Corp of Engineers decides to open some locks and bring in some water when the depth gets too low so it's a good idea to confirm with them. We went through in early August last year and saw a consistent 14 to 18 foot depth.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 06:37   #3

Boat: Caliber 40

The local Ft Myers TV station just reported that the level in Lake Okeechobee has dropped to 12' so the Corps of Engineers will stop releasing water from the lake. I am new to the area and may have misunderstood - but it seemed like the TV reporter was saying the Chattahoochee River level would continue to drop until water is again released from the lake into the River.

My family has lived and boated in SW Florida for over 35-years and they tell me the canals and lakes are at the lowest level they have ever seen.

Average May rainfall in SW Florida is less than 3" and the outlook for the next 10-days is dry.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 20:02   #4

The rim, route 2, is about 1.5 feet shallower than route 1 through the middle. At 12ft of water as listed by the Corp, there is 5.5 feet across the middle. It's about 11.7 ft reported by the corp now. Cross if it is not too windy as a 2 ft chop will drop you to 4.5 ft in the troughs. The locks are working. Praying for rain works this time of year.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape coral, coral