Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Cata-lytic Heater

So I purchased a 28 foot boat advertised as being built in 1969. Upon much investigation on the net, at the "Classic Boat Show" in Victoria, just a week ago, and conversations with long time repair guys in the boating industry here, the boat appears to be a "Grenfell" boat, designed and built by Thornton Grenfell, apparently a grouchy fellow who was well known for over building boats.

His boats are known for blue hulls and lapstrake construction, but upon further research he was an early in with fiberglass hulls - which my boat has - and white hulls. There was an article about Thornton in the Jan - Feb 1961 Boating magazine about him (if you have a copy, would love a scan of that article). The title of the article is "Canada's Thornton" by Don Tyrell.

After even more research, Thornton only built one 28 footer (all his boats were custom builds) and it appears I now own it.

Now for my question. The boat has a small mahogany panel in the galley with a builders plate stating - "Cata-lytic heater Electric Preheat." "To operate 1. Turn gas valve to high. 2. Turn timer full clockwise - use with normal ventilation - Manufactured by Cata-lytic Company 5320 28th N.W. Seattle, Washington."

So what is this and what do I use if for, Cabin heat, used to heat engine - what? I'm guessing this bit of kit is also of 1963 origins. The engine is the Chevy 350 V8 270 HP with Merc stern drive.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Cata-lytic Heater

Trace the wires and see where they go, cause I think it likely they don’t go anywhere now.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:25   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Cata-lytic Heater

Sounds like a plan. She goes up on the hard for a refit. My experience with other older boats is that the exteriors were done well but the interiors were often marginal at best in terms of storage. So more storage will be added, the galley torn out and redone (fortunately a small job on a boat this size), new cushions, new electronics.. blah, blah...
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote