Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 18:14   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Center Console vs Dual Console 22' - 27' boats

I am wondering the advatage of center console boats vs dual console boats and visa versa.

Is a center console more sea worthy than a dual console boat?

The reason I ask is I am seeing dual console boats with, what looks like the same hull shape as the CC boats.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 18:35   #2

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28
Re: Center Console vs Dual Console 22' - 27' boats

The difference is use oriented. If you are using the boat for fishing you want a CC so you can move freely and completely around the boat. This is important when you have a good sized fish on the line who wants to swim around the boat. You can't move around like that in a dual console, which is more for pleasure use, not fishing.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 18:42   #3

I do see bait wells and fish boxes on the dual console boats. I agree, they are not perfect for fishing but they are probably close. A CC boat you can walk around sure, a DC boat you would need to move thru the middle.

Is the DC boat any less sea worthy? Note: I would use a bow cover of caught in rough water. That would help keep water out of the boat.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:51   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

As silver said, usually it's about the different ways to use these boats.

And usually makers build both models (plus cuddy cabins) on the same hulls. They're all generally (as far as I know) designed with decent scuppers to flush any water that comes over the sides. Should be no difference in seaworthiness when comparing models within one maker's set.

-Chris
Old 05-06-2017, 04:18   #5

This is an age old question, which boat type to buy....I will want to fish sometimes and other times I will want to take my grand daughters or friends, brothers out for a boat ride, tubing, swimming. There may be times I will actually want to sleep on the boat. Not many, but once in awhile for sure.

I am leaning toward a deep hull dual console. They are filled with foam, same as the CC boats. I can have a bow cover and aft curtain made for the dual console boat and make an ok place to spend the night. I doubt I will have side curtains made since in my other fresh water runabout type boats I very seldom used side curtains.

I can see one huge advantage to a CC boat and that is standing at the helm while under way seems a more natural position. A DC boat standing will be much more akward.

It seems that CC boats are now trying to be more comfortable for families and DC boats are trying to allow fishing activities.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:17   #6

I have spent quite a bit of time in both types fishing, diving, and just cruising around family picnicking, etc. And I am not a fan of the CC. In fact, I find them just about useless. Despite that they are probably the most common and best selling boats around.
I live in Florida. Lots of sun here. Put a bimini top on your CC boat and there goes your walk around fishing capability.
Put a T top on it and you can only shade your head. Plus you lose space to work your rod. Not to mention raising the center of gravity and adding substantial weight. Seating is usually limited and not very comfy, and most operators will be standing most of the time.
Admittedly, I am not a hard core fisherman. When I was, I had a cuddy cabin hardtop with a fly bridge.
I like the twin console layout and have one now. Very comfortable seating and very adaptable with the bow rider layout. Comfortable underway or at anchor for 6 people. And yes you can fish out of it. With a removable pedestal seat forward and a trolling motor, it makes a great back country boat.
The best over all option, in my opinion is the walk around cuddy layout. No, you won't want to be going forward while maneuvering a 50 lb amberjack on your 80 lb boat rod. But you can get there if you have to. And you have a place to get out of the weather. Take a nap, or camp out for a weekend. A useful galley and a head or portable toilet. Good space to lock your gear up out of sight too.
They are all a compromise in one way or another. If ALL you do is fish and dive, and you rarely have more than one other person aboard, and you like standing most of the time; then a CC boat is just the ticket.
Also best for running big seas and rough water at speed, as you are standing in the center of the boat, can absorb impact with your legs and have good vision forward.
But for more diverse and family oriented use in calmer water I like the bow rider twin console.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:05   #7

Boat: Pearson 31-2

I agree with most of the above. If you're all about fishing CC is preferred hands down. If you're looking for a family boat or wake board boat DC is preferred. I also think the SeaHunt Edge 24 is a cool style that is kinda a hybrid.. appears to give you more 'cover' from a larger T-top than the standard CC, but has the top framing that looks like it would be good to attache wake board holders, but then again get in the way if you're trying to navigate a larger fish to the boat. But if you're not going for larger fish, then shouldn't much matter.
crabbydollfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:54   #8

Adding the cuddy walk around to the mix...humm, I had that style of boat off my list. Heard the boat with no generator thus no A/C makes the cabin too hot and stuffy. Most people say it is a place to keep stuff and that is it.

Fyi - they make a dual console boat with a hard top option. This boat is now at the top of my list. The hard top would make it easy to add a camper style canvas package.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:59   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Adding the cuddy walk around to the mix...humm, I had that style of boat off my list. Heard the boat with no generator thus no A/C makes the cabin too hot and stuffy. Most people say it is a place to keep stuff and that is it.

Fyi - they make a dual console boat with a hard top option. This boat is now at the top of my list. The hard top would make it easy to add a camper style canvas package.

Shouldn't be any hotter inside the cabin of a walk-around than it would in the "cabin" of a CC or dual-console.

I like hardtops; on a previous boat, we carried our dinghy up there, and it did indeed contribute to the decent enclosure. Have to pay attention to weight up high, though (not necessarily a huge deal).

You can add a hardtop to almost any boat, so if you find something almost perfect but with no hardtop... you can likely fix that yourself.

And you can add AC and sometimes a genset to boats, too. Or run an AC at anchor from a portable genset, to at least cool down the cabin before shutting the genset down for the night (to avoid CO issues with gas boats).

-Chris

Tags
boat