Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2017, 17:02   #1

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime
CHB 1981 2 - Ford Lehman 120

I can't start the port engine now. I was starting to have a problem and it involved where I had the port trans shiftier. Now I can't start it at all?
I took the two wires on the trans off and tied them together but no luck. I cleaned the screws etc, put the wires back no start. I also checked the upper deck to make sure that the trans shifter was in the right place. No luck??? Any suggestions. I wanted to leave here today in WA state and head to San Diego but I need to have both engines at least to start. Any ideas? I need help. I it is Sat and no mechanics around, I would like to leave tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for any ideas.
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 17:18   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: CHB 1981 2 - Ford Lehman 120

When you say you took the 2 wires off the trans and tied them together you connected them together electrically right? If the neutral start switch is the problem you just jump across the 2 leads making sure the shifter is in neutral.
If that doesn't work you can try to jump the start solenoid at the starter motor and see if that's the problem. Sometimes giving the starter motor and solenoid a not to hard rap with a 10 inch crescent wrench will jiggle the innards to free them enough to operate. Best to solve the problem before heading out on a voyage.
Don't try to keep on a schedule if there's mechanical problems.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 17:33   #3

Well thanks I will try that and I appreciate the help. I'll let you let you know, thanks.
Old 06-05-2017, 19:28   #4

The problem is, the port engine almost impossible to get to the starter? did not use anything electrical on the two wires I had taken off. I just tied them together but it dd not work?
Old 06-05-2017, 19:39   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash of Lime View Post
The problem is, the port engine almost impossible to get to the starter?
If you can see the starter have someone hold the start button or if key start then hold the key in the start position while you reach down and around like a snake and tap on the solenoid and starter to see if it will engage. If it does start then that's where the problem lies. If it just clicks then it could be (most likely) but not always the solenoid. Might also check the cable connections from batteries to the starter and small wires from start button to solenoid.
Good luck.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 19:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Where are you at im in tacoma and have to much experience with those engines in another boat. If you are close I may be.able.to stop by and take a look sunday.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:05   #7

How extremely nice of you to offer. Unfortunately I am in Poulsbo at the Liberty Bay Marina. I am alone and have been getting ready to take the vessel to San Diego, but i need to have both engines running. The motors run great , just have to get the port engine started. I have tried all I can alone. But thanks for you very generous offer. If any with advice, I appreciate that. Thanks again.
Captain Chuck
Old 07-05-2017, 09:27   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Dang wish I had known about your problem a few days ago I was there doing a water pump">raw water pump on an endurance wednesday
Old 07-05-2017, 09:36   #9

Ha ha, yep i wish also. I just drove over 1200 miles by car almost non-stop except for gas and 2.5 hr sleep. (rancho mirage, ca) to get here and got here on Wed. But thanks. I really want to get going, but I think I need both engines running. I have a long trip ahead alone so want to have everything ship shape, but thanks. I really appreciate it.

CaptChuck
Old 07-05-2017, 10:13   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I can't start the port engine now. I was starting to have a problem and it involved where I had the port trans shiftier. Now I can't start it at all?
I took the two wires on the trans off and tied them together but no luck. I cleaned the screws etc, put the wires back no start. I also checked the upper deck to make sure that the trans shifter was in the right place. No luck??? Any suggestions. I wanted to leave here today in WA state and head to San Diego but I need to have both engines at least to start. Any ideas? I need help. I it is Sat and no mechanics around, I would like to leave tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for any ideas.
The wires you twisted together eliminated the interlock that makes sure your in neutral. whether that's before the ignition switch between it ant the starter button or after the button ? Chase down the voltage with a $5.00 VOM. Ignition switch, starter button, interlock and solenoid. If you have at the solenoid then try the wrench to whack the solenoid and starter. Don't be afraid to whack them pretty good. A stuck solenoid, bad contacts or the starter brushes found a dead spot.

Good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:30   #11

Boat: Fraser 42 ft Center cockpit sloop

Don't leave unless everything is working the way it should. Enough things can and sometimes will go wrong on what can be a nasty stretch of coast. Leaving with known problems and hoping for the best is just plain stupid. Don't want to read about you in a Coast Guard report.

Hope is not a realistic plan for boating, flying, love, business or investing.
Hyrdflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:27   #12

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Does the engine turn over and not start or do you just hear clicking. Are the batteries charged and in good order. If so, a trick I have used in the past is use an insulated screw driver to make the connect on the selonoid posts to bypass the selonoid. Key needs to be in the on position.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:38   #13

Absolutely nothing. No click no noise, nothing. I had the problem when last time I went to the San Juan Islands last summer. But when the shifter was in the perfect position then I could start it? So that happeneds. But when i got back I had to leave and rive back to Calif. This is the first time back and thought it would be ok, until I got the vessel down to San Diego. But that sucks, can't get anything. I have tried everything suggested, except I can do both at the time same time like someone try to start I and hit the solenoid. I can even see the solenoid. I can't imagine how they cannot build these engine so there is a port & starboard engines so you could get to things?
I am 77 and not easy to get into place I used to. Not over weight just bones don't move the way they used to? haha.
But i have tons of experience, just about as much as anyone along the CA coast to WA. I used to commercial fish in both Ore & WA when younger and smaller vessel. I used to drift at night way offshore and wake up every hour and look around. Anyway I just nee to get it running. Ok, back to Nascar on TV. Thanks
Old 07-05-2017, 12:11   #14

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

It has to be the shifter position then. It thinks it is in gear somehow when the shifter is not in gear. That would explain hearing nothing. I am sure you giggled, wiggled and moved the shifter around trying to get a connection to the starter.

My only advice it to check everything again. Both shifters, try the same magic that you used before.

If there is any good news, this sounds like a simple fix once you figure out where.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:23   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Absolutely nothing. No click no noise, nothing. I had the problem when last time I went to the San Juan Islands last summer. But when the shifter was in the perfect position then I could start it? So that happeneds. But when i got back I had to leave and rive back to Calif. This is the first time back and thought it would be ok, until I got the vessel down to San Diego. But that sucks, can't get anything. I have tried everything suggested, except I can do both at the time same time like someone try to start I and hit the solenoid. I can even see the solenoid. I can't imagine how they cannot build these engine so there is a port & starboard engines so you could get to things?
I am 77 and not easy to get into place I used to. Not over weight just bones don't move the way they used to? haha.
But i have tons of experience, just about as much as anyone along the CA coast to WA. I used to commercial fish in both Ore & WA when younger and smaller vessel. I used to drift at night way offshore and wake up every hour and look around. Anyway I just nee to get it running. Ok, back to Nascar on TV. Thanks
GM made 671s as mirror twins. I feel sure using the gear box for counter rotation is cheaper to manufacture.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lehman