Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2007, 21:01   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Powerboats have more efficient use of space...they are more shaped like shoeboxes essentially. If you dont plan on going vast distances then they make perfect sense.

That's a nice looking rig you got.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 05:10   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Truth is, as a retiring trucker, I will probably keep it mostly as a "marina condo" more than go world traveling...
Seems easy to me. It's like buying a truck. Think about it that way. It works better than you think. You already know trucks.

1. No truck driver wants to drive the ugliest truck on the road.

2. It has to be large enough to carry the full load without spilling anything.

3. There are no load restriction other than gravity (not like trucks).

4. They all have an engine. Diesel is better (see how easy it's getting).

5. Being paid for matters.

6. If you don't know where you are going then pull over.

You need to jump on board a few and perhaps try a few out. I think it's fair to say you should like it and it should be fun. You may not cruise the world but you can cruise any place you want. If you think you want to sail take an ASA or US Sail course some place nice. Being on the water is something you need to do now. Make it part of a vacation. You can ease into this and be able to make decisions as you go along. Look at boats, go to boat shows (Miami in Feb 08), talk to boat owners. Take up fishing.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 07:00   #18

Boat: Endeavour E40
Paul is absolutely correct, go to the MIAMI INTERNATIONAL BOAT SHOW in February.......... you'll REALLY be hooked!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 09:42   #19

Boat: Nordic Tug - Tuffy
Hi All, great site! Great sites come from great moderators. I appreciate your efforts.
I like my powerboat because it’s easy to take out and put away. I like slow trawlers over fast boats because the ride is more comfortable and I am not too concerned about being caught in heavy seas. The thing I don’t like about power boats is you always feel like you have to be going somewhere where as sailing, you can just go sailing.
For extended cruising I can’t see wasting the fuel when there is so much free wind. I also have found many sailboats perform more efficiently under power then a lot of powerboats. I like catamarans for their all-around usefulness under power or sail but in a marina it means an end-tie that can be hard to find.
Thanks for the site, I hope to get to know you all better.
80% of what you will know about boating you will learn after you buy a boat.
mdfixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 11:23   #20

Boat: B24
Paul’s advice is right on… I’ve lived aboard both power and sail… The 48’ (or so) powerboat I lived aboard had probably twice the interior room as the 42’ sailboat (which was pretty beamy and heavy for its length). However, if you can find one that fits the bill/budget, I also agree with those who recommend a diesel trawler (probably twin diesel, if you’re new to boat handling… often easier for many to learn to dock than single screw). But the "most space for the buck" category usually goes to the houseboat, some of which can be pretty substantial a plush for relatively nominal outlay (as far as boats go…). To actually go anywhere I much prefer sail, but you’ll find all types out on the water so none of `em actually “must” stay tied to the dock – floating condo or not…

Take in a boat show or two – kick a few tires and see what flips yer switch… good luck…
Old 03-01-2008, 14:28   #21

surprisingly good advice all around without malice....

this site IS getting better....
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 15:01   #22

Boat: Endeavour E40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capct View Post
surprisingly good advice all around without malice....

this site IS getting better....

You are absolutely correct about this site.......
I started recently scanning a couple of the other sites that I just found out about and they definitely have some "crudeness" to them......
appears that some of the posters on the other cruisers sites are NOT gentlemen......... if I wanted to hear foul language I'd just go to the "movies".......
not that I'm a "tea-toteler" by any stretch, but "can't we just get-a-long!?" (that's for the "other" sites!)
Having said that, I'm totally amazed at the info and intelligence some of you guys have given us on this site........ I, for one, appreciate that!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 15:17   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
I started recently scanning a couple of the other sites

, I'm totally amazed at the info and intelligence
Yep.
I found that to be true also.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:44   #24

power v sail

we have had several sailboats and powerboats and my preference would be to have a full displacement trawler. costs less in the long run...the long range cruisers have more range with better comfort than sail
myjeepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 15:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
I have just read dangerous books like "Voyaging on a small income","The cruising life" and "Gently with the tides".

Now I have an irresistible urge to get a boat.
I am pretty sure I want a sailboat.

Truth is, as a retiring trucker, I will probably keep it mostly as a "marina condo" more than go world traveling...

Any advice on brands or types of motor boats as good live-aboards?

As an un-initiated shore dweller I see Sea Rays and old Chris Crafts that look pretty cool...but I need your experienced opinions.

Any advice welcomed, Thanks
Check out the Silverton (use or new)
LADYLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 16:57   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Tiawan trawlers! Two neighbors and they love them. They don't go fast so there is less problems. "Senators" or "Presidents" both in say a 37 ft. Sedan or Sportfish as your pleasure! Exactly what you want and not a lot of money!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 18:07   #27

My suggestion is to stick with a trawler or motor yacht. The purchase of a sailboat might be less expensive initially, however most surveyors will admit that a used sailboat has probably not been maintained very well, and the cost of operation over the years will actually be less with a trawler than with a sailboat of equal size. Besides, the powerboat of equal size to the sailboat will have quite a bit more room, and be more comfortable unless you want to live a 'backpackers' lifestyle. We own a 1979 48' Hatteras LRC which is a long range cruiser. She has a full displacement hull, like a sailboat, with stabilizers so she has a better ride than a sailboat. Although this yacht is older, it is much better constructed than most of the newer boats on the market today. Before 1986, manufacturers built the boat then determined the cost. Now, the cost is determined first and the boat is built to fit into the price range. This leads to cost cutting in hull construction, electrical wiring and materials in many cases.
Cost of fuel with the powerboat is negligible over the period of a year, however you need to remember that with a sailboat you not only have to maintain the powerboat aspect, but also the standing and running rigging. People say you can only get about 4,000 hours out of a diesel engine, but the same hours hold true with the rigging. I would suggest that you avoid the Silvertons, Searays, Carvers, Vikings and look for something older, and better built, like a Bertram, Hatteras, President, DeFever, Alden, or Mainship before 1985, just to name a few. Go to some boating forums on the internet and check them out. To find almost all available boats for sale on the market go to New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com and go to the advanced settings. Plug in Trawlers (or pilothouse motoryachts), diesel, fiberglass, the size vessel you are looking for and the price range you have determined. A good size boat for live aboard would be in the 35 to 52 foot size range depending on the boat. I wish you luck with your search and please feel free to contact me if you would like more information.
myjeepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 19:33   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Good advice all around but I think you need to search your soul and ask the basic question…. What is it that draws me towards living on the water?

If the word “Freedom” comes quickly to mind then don’t limit yourself to only a marina condo. Find a boat that can allow you to live off the grid (sail/power or even motor-sail) and tie it in with an achievable goal…(like spending the summer fishing and crabbing along your waterways) .

Useable Space is meaningless if it is empty of purpose. Find that inner purpose first then the answers will make perfect sense (to you!)

p.s. Also make time to learn how to sail… it will make you a much better power boater
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote