Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 19:18   #556

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Sorry guys,
Not very interested in a cat, if you want to dig for a good deal on a raised pilothouse trawler you might get my attention
89' Blount Marine, Year: 1966, Price: US$ 599,000, Located In Seattle,Hull Material: Steel,Twin diesel Detroit 6-71, YW# 964-2275993
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ing_id=964&url=

65' AMT Custom 65 Trawler,Year: 1998, Price: US$ 549,900, Fiberglass, Single diesel Cummins Engine Model: WH6-M, Hours: 215 Drive Type: Direct Drive Engine, Total Power: 220 HP
Denison Yacht Sales - Yacht Brokers in Florida and California | Denison Yacht Sales=
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:23   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
GREAT... I am looking forward to the next chapter of this adventure... I hope you keep us posted here or on the blog. I'm looking forward to seeing how the children's experience is... as well as mom's. The salty kids I know are incredible! I think this is a wonderful thing for them and I wish it was part of my youth. I think they should learn sailing however.. it's something they can do on there own and grow into the full on experience. I love to see the fleets of youngsters on the water from yacht clubs. YIKES... summer's half gone
Jef, I can't wait for the next chapter either!!! The boat purchase. I have told my kids that this will be the greatest thing that has ever happened to them, and I mean it. My kids LOVE adventure.

It will be interesting! I know that much. I intend to keep the blog updated with the good, bad and the ugly every step of the way I'm also hoping to get more kid perspective blog posts out of them once things get rolling.

But...promise not to laugh when I make dumb mistakes
Old 11-08-2013, 07:32   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
89' Blount Marine, Year: 1966, Price: US$ 599,000, Located In Seattle,Hull Material: Steel,Twin diesel Detroit 6-71, YW# 964-2275993
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ing_id=964&url=

65' AMT Custom 65 Trawler,Year: 1998, Price: US$ 549,900, Fiberglass, Single diesel Cummins Engine Model: WH6-M, Hours: 215 Drive Type: Direct Drive Engine, Total Power: 220 HP
Denison Yacht Sales - Yacht Brokers in Florida and California | Denison Yacht Sales=
WESTWINDS!!! Your back. Yaaayyy!!! Missed you buddy.
I thought that you had abandoned me

The first boat is fantastic, just what I'm looking for, only problem, not sure if ultimately it will be too long for me to handle with out lots of crew? (I don't know how I missed this one, I thought that I had seen everything)

The second one I've seen. It's a good size, but I have to see it in person. Not sure if it's very tired or just bad photos.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:42   #559

Westwinds, maybe you shouldn't have shown me that Seattle boat. Wow, that's a nice one!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:11   #560

Quote:

The first boat is fantastic, just what I'm looking for, only problem, not sure if ultimately it will be too long for me to handle with out lots of crew? (I don't know how I missed this one, I thought that I had seen everything)

The second one I've seen. It's a good size, but I have to see it in person. Not sure if it's very tired or just bad photos.
My mistake, I confused the 2nd one with something else. The second one I have seen, is nice also, I have that on my "to view in person list". If only it had a raised pilothouse...
Old 11-08-2013, 08:44   #561

Boat: too many

Quote:
Sorry guys,
Not very interested in a cat, if you want to dig for a good deal on a raised pilothouse trawler you might get my attention
You don't like the looks of a cat? That 52' has all the space you desire. It can be captained by you, but more important during line handling by your kids, there would be a different outcome if there was mis-communication between you and them for a vessel displacing 20,000 lbs vs. 150,000 lbs. Ayla and her mom line handle on a 50,000 lb trawler and there have been some scary moments.

Modern fuel efficient 4 stroke diesels combined with the efficient hull equates to twice the cruise speed with 1/2 the fuel burn.

At the very least, you need to experience close quarters maneuvering with a single screw mono vs a twin screw (with a 15' and greater prop separation) first hand then decide. There is a reason the countries that are known for off shore cruising like Australia, NZ, SA, and France (also UK) have embraced the catamarans like they have.

Don't let your perceived aesthetics rule over function. Of all the family cruising blogs you have read, the common denominator for the kid's discomfort is seasickness. Wouldn't you prefer a boat that minimizes that both underway and in a rolling anchorage?

The price alone should be worth a phone call, don't you think? At a 65% counter offer you could be cruising while your RE agent sells the house instead of waiting for it to sale.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18   #562

Quote:

Could you have missed the first one due to a 7' draft (there goes 75% of Caribbean anchorages you could use), or its 186,000 lb displacement and 350 lb anchor?

The 2nd one not for sale to US residents.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
You don't like the looks of a cat?
It's not that I don't like the "looks" of it. I actually think cats have a very aesthetically pleasing design.

I don't think that I care for the layout or the lack of exterior space. That being said, I plan to look at just one in person, just to be sure.

I'm also somewhat concerned that those beams could be a problem getting into slips. I also don't think that it could be shrink wrapped.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:51   #564

The beam of the Blount Marine is 19' vs 17' of the Wright cat, not to mention weighing 168,000 lbs more than the cat. Look again at the deck space of the cat. Something we haven't mentioned is windage. The boats you tend to lean towards have massive windage. It is restrictive enough with a large displacement single screw to time marina arrivals during slack water, add to the mix of needing the winds to be close to calm and there will be a lot of waiting to time a safe entrance. The cat with its low windage and widely spaced twin screws means you can come and go with a lot less restrictions. You don't want a 12 year old needing to learn and preform using a spring line to get you docked, and you sure don't want him doing that job on a 185,000 lb boat.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:05   #565

Quote:
The beam of the Blount Marine is 19' vs 17' of the Wright cat, not to mention weighing 168,000 lbs more than the cat. Look again at the deck space of the cat. Something we haven't mentioned is windage. The boats you tend to lean towards have massive windage. It is restrictive enough with a large displacement single screw to time marina arrivals during slack water, add to the mix of needing the winds to be close to calm and there will be a lot of waiting to time a safe entrance. The cat with its low windage and widely spaced twin screws means you can come and go with a lot less restrictions. You don't want a 12 year old needing to learn and preform using a spring line to get you docked, and you sure don't want him doing that job on a 185,000 lb boat.
I'll give you a +1 for the beam, but I still hate the salon, or lack of...

That Blount salon sure does look comfy
Old 11-08-2013, 11:34   #566

Quote:
I'll give you a +1 for the beam, but I still hate the salon, or lack of...

That Blount salon sure does look comfy
No argument there, the Blount oozes charm and massive build. If you were to never venture out without a captain AND crew, the Blount gives a palatial living standard and a lot of boat (at least displacement) for the money. At the beginning of this thread I was under the impression that you wanted to cruise with your kids and mom and you didn't have deep pockets. Everything about the boats that you like require deep pockets, captain and crew. If you just want to live on the water at a marina, there are much cheaper ways to do that and you have even more room for much less coin, and that is on a houseboat. There are many lakes that have full blown houseboat communities, your kids would have more space, could still go to land based schools. As an owner of a houseboat you would understand windage very well and would never set out to explore the lake during times of wind.

I understand you don't have the experience of operating vessels of widely different displacements as me, but please trust me when I recommend a much lighter displacement than the vessels you have been currently looking at. Your needs for room for the large family is understandable, and the only way this space can be had with the least amount of displacement is on a cat.

The pros of a cat trawler (displacement hull)

Much lower operating costs (fuel, upkeep, parts)

Better resale

Kinder motion at sea and anchorage

Much wider range of anchorages due to less draft

Anchor and ground tackle is a managable size and weight

You can captain

Much lower liability insurance costs.

Easy haul outs in most all yards. When your at 185,000 lbs, there are only a few yards that can handle you.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:04   #567

Quote:
It's not that I don't like the "looks" of it. I actually think cats have a very aesthetically pleasing design.

I don't think that I care for the layout or the lack of exterior space. That being said, I plan to look at just one in person, just to be sure.

I'm also somewhat concerned that those beams could be a problem getting into slips. I also don't think that it could be shrink wrapped.
One thing I liked about my 42 cat (like shown in the pic I linked) is the huge exterior cockpit space. The whole cockpit is a circular seating and the optional double table folds together to full width. We had thanksgiving aboard in Georgetown once.... 13 people!
Other advantages are the dual "walk down" swim steps, and engine hatches that open up to allow standing head room and daylight vision. But, you get lots of space in a big trawler too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:23   #568

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Wasting time and bandwidth, DeckOfficer---IMHO
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
Wasting time and bandwidth, DeckOfficer---IMHO
Why do you feel that way?
Old 11-08-2013, 19:40   #570

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
...The 2nd one not for sale to US residents.
The not for sale to US residents just precludes purchase of the boat in the United States, or else taxes become due. The sale is finalized off shore and can be to a US resident:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-us-36157.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-33364.html
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle