Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2013, 17:53   #766

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GG,

Here is a new forum for you to try. A small yacht by their standards is 65', appears most members are at least 7 figure income earners. The thread that I'm posting the link to is an exception to their 65' minimum standard of what constitutes a yacht. I'm a member but haven't posted much. You will get a kick out of this group.
Review: AfriCat 420' Catamaran - YachtForums.Com
Was that a trick to get me to look at a cat?
Old 19-08-2013, 18:09   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
My sense is that by the time they family's ready to move aboard seriously it will be Spring and that would give them the time to close, get the boat up to Boston, learn systems and do some upgrades and modification and moving in, decorating, etc... and of course getting the feel for the boat... and maybe some sleep overs with the family. it might even need a bottom job after sitting in water all winter.

Boston is a great jumping off location for Maine, the Islands of MA, Newport, RI and LIS. Great cruising grounds for yr 1.
The timing is kind of ugly. Maybe I should have the bottom paint done before I leave Florida? Wonder how long that will take them, a week maybe?

I am actually planning on moving right in as soon as I get it up here. If I can get the heat installed and a few changes completed fairly quickly, then I'll be all set.

I'm glad that you made that point about modifications Jef, because you sparked an idea for me, I should probably figure out now were I am going to have the work done and how long it will take. I'm going to start that research tomorrow Maybe I will have to visit a couple of boatyards and talk to them about what I need done.

Your right about Boston
Old 19-08-2013, 18:39   #768

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Was that a trick to get me to look at a cat?
No, because the hyperlink clearly said what it was. I was doing some research on diesel/electric propulsion and a few search results was a thread on that forum. I read the entire thread (17 pages) and was impressed with the knowledge of these well healed forum members. If you want detailed input on a large yacht's systems, these folks are well versed and have a good understanding of marine engineering.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 18:49   #769

GG,
My hunch is it's best to have the work done in Boston so you are more actively involved in it... even routine maintenance.. like the bottom. You DO want to see your bottom your prop and so forth and take very extensive photos before and after of everything and anything is worked on. With the digital cameras and smart phones this is so easy.
Once you're living aboard the photos are not as important because you are there. But they are useful when communicating with vendors, mechanics and so forth... You can send a pic of a part or show a mechanic where some issue is that needs attention. And these become a visual maintenance log.

If you are planning to move the family aboard as soon as she is docked in Boston I'd not do the bottom work until the Spring. When the boat's surveyed prior to sale... it may be hauled and can be power washed and likely not need painting... Plus a fastling passage it won't be fouled or slowed much as a sailboat might. Why sit in over the winter and let a new bottom get fouled? Advice... paint if you have to, in the Spring.

The survey should give you a good idea of the condition of the boat's systems and might have recommendations for repairs etc. Surveys often pay for themselves and get the asking price knocked down or the seller does the repairs. You'd be amazed at what surveyors find. Survey a must. Look around for surveyors who have a good reputation with the type of boat you are buying. Due diligence is required.

If you come through LIS give me a shout if you are stopping there on the way north.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 18:59   #770

Boat: too many

Quote:
GG,
My hunch is it's best to have the work done in Boston so you are more actively involved in it... even routine maintenance.. like the bottom. You DO want to see your bottom your prop and so forth and take very extensive photos before and after of everything and anything is worked on. With the digital cameras and smart phones this is so easy.
Once you're living aboard the photos are not as important because you are there. But they are useful when communicating with vendors, mechanics and so forth... You can send a pic of a part or show a mechanic where some issue is that needs attention. And these become a visual maintenance log.

If you are planning to move the family aboard as soon as she is docked in Boston I'd not do the bottom work until the Spring. When the boat's surveyed prior to sale... it may be hauled and can be power washed and likely not need painting... Plus a fastling passage it won't be fouled or slowed much as a sailboat might. Why sit in over the winter and let a new bottom get fouled? Advice... paint if you have to, in the Spring.

The survey should give you a good idea of the condition of the boat's systems and might have recommendations for repairs etc. Surveys often pay for themselves and get the asking price knocked down or the seller does the repairs. You'd be amazed at what surveyors find. Survey a must. Look around for surveyors who have a good reputation with the type of boat you are buying. Due diligence is required.

If you come through LIS give me a shout if you are stopping there on the way north.
Great advise. What do you think of Infrared Thermography? More surveyors have this technology than in the past.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 19:07   #771

Quote:
Great advise. What do you think of Infrared Thermography? More surveyors have this technology than in the past.
I think that all the high tech imaging and analytic tools should be used if possible. Why not?
Old 20-08-2013, 07:00   #772

Quote:
GG,

Jef, the broker has already told me that the bottom needs paint. Will I be able to take it to Boston if it needs it?
Old 20-08-2013, 07:02   #773

Quote:
No, because the hyperlink clearly said what it was. I was doing some research on diesel/electric propulsion and a few search results was a thread on that forum. I read the entire thread (17 pages) and was impressed with the knowledge of these well healed forum members. If you want detailed input on a large yacht's systems, these folks are well versed and have a good understanding of marine engineering.
Ok, my mistake. I was thrown off by all the cat pics. I'll check it out. Thnx.
Old 20-08-2013, 07:06   #774

Quote:
GG,
Jef, where are you? Long Island?
Old 20-08-2013, 07:08   #775

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

GG -- Disclaimer: Our boat is much smaller than yours and its systems are simpler.

We kept our previous boat in Hull, MA, and the current one in Bristol, RI. We found the marine trades along the south coast as good or better than Boston and less expensive. If you're going to have significant work done before moving aboard, you may want to consider other options to Boston itself.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 07:15   #776
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

used boats are very similar to used homes IMHO. people slap a few cosmetic repairs on it and jack up the price by 50% or more. the difference is that you will always lose money on a boat .. sometimes a lot. if it looks and smells rotten then walk or run away. sometimes walking away is tough. there are a lot of desperate and unscrupulous deals out there. make sure you have a buyer's broker and good surveyor on your side.
Old 20-08-2013, 07:20   #777

Quote:
Jef, where are you? Long Island?
I live is southern Westchester but Shiva is moored in Northport... about halfway down the sound. If you do come through the sound... which I know very well... I can give you some local knowledge and even take pics...perhaps of your vessel underway! If you want.

You can PM me and I can give you contact coordinates.
Old 20-08-2013, 07:22   #778

Quote:
Jef, the broker has already told me that the bottom needs paint. Will I be able to take it to Boston if it needs it?
Of course you can. It may be fouled a bit and slow you down... You might want the props cleaned at the very least... if there is a lot of marine growth.

A newly done bottom is very slippery!
Old 20-08-2013, 07:30   #779

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Take a look at this thread. You could just have the bottom scrubbed just before you leave for Boston and have the bottom paint done later. Are you going to have the boat on the hard so a surveyor can get a good look at the hull? In that case you may want to paint in Florida or do a really good job of cleaning. You are going to use 20% to 30% more fuel with a dirty boat bottom and new paint or at least cleaning the hull will be money ahead.

By the way, maybe someone here knows of a good surveyor in Florida? Generally it is not advisable to use a surveyor suggested by the broker because of conflict of interest.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 11:35   #780

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Take a look at this thread. You could just have the bottom scrubbed just before you leave for Boston and have the bottom paint done later. Are you going to have the boat on the hard so a surveyor can get a good look at the hull? In that case you may want to paint in Florida or do a really good job of cleaning. You are going to use 20% to 30% more fuel with a dirty boat bottom and new paint or at least cleaning the hull will be money ahead.

By the way, maybe someone here knows of a good surveyor in Florida? Generally it is not advisable to use a surveyor suggested by the broker because of conflict of interest.
Oops: Bottom growth and its effects on speed - SailNet Community
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle