Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 20:01   #796

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
For heating you can search by company and request a dealer. such as Webasto or Espar. The latter has dealer in I think MD, MA. The dealers are installers as well. They should be able to design a system and give you a proposal. Get at least a second or third bid. I purchased through Ocean Options and did the install myself but their after market service leaves a lot to be desired (my experience).

The Newport In Water boat show is coming up soon and it would something you would want to attend and you'll find heating dealer/installer exhibiting I would think.
Gotcha Jef, thanks. Didn't realize that dealers were installers. That makes good sense, so they can stand behind the product and install.

I was wondering about that Newport show. The boat show in Boston was garbage and I wouldn't do another like that. But if the Newport show is a good one, I'm going for sure. I was actually just reading an add in yachting magazine a few minutes ago. It's in September and I love Newport anyhow
Old 21-08-2013, 20:36   #797

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I was actually just reading an add in yachting magazine a few minutes ago. It's in September and I love Newport anyhow
Wait what's that a little outside research? !
Some people on here seem to think you don't do any of that...
Old 21-08-2013, 21:36   #798

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee Wizz, with all the fine advice she has recieved on this site, who could think she has not done her homework LOL She finaly convinced me she wasn't a troll! and she has sure learned what a sea boat is !! I have no Idea what she is about to make an offer on, but Im almost sure it will at least be able to go offshore ! Whice is a big improvement over what she started looking for !! Just my 2 cents
Old 21-08-2013, 21:36   #799

Boat: Owens
For those of you advocating GG getting the bottom painted while the boat is hauled for survey or performing any other manner of work for that matter:

You are aware she will not yet own the subject boat at that time? Minor detail I know but an important one.

So, do you now suggest she request the seller to pay for all this work himself in anticipation/blind faith that the escrow will close? Or perhaps she could ask him to pay the yard storage fee to keep it on the hard till such time as ownership transfers so she can then contract the work done herself? Kinda reminds me of a story regarding a horse and a cart.

For GG: Besides Phil(rw58ph), how many of your advisors on this thread currently own and live on a boat in this size class? I mean you no offense in that question either as I honestly do wish you nothing but the absolute best of luck with your forthcoming purchase. I have no doubt in your sincerity but keep in mind there is no back charge for free advice.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 06:03   #800

Hmmm.... That was exactly my thought.

[QUOTE=CPseudonym;1319203]For those of you advocating GG getting the bottom painted while the boat is hauled for survey or performing any other manner of work for that matter:

You are aware she will not yet own the subject boat at that time? Minor detail I know but an important one.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 07:31   #801

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Its a real issue. When we did the survey on Gray Hawk she needed a bow thruster zinc. The broker asked me "should we change it?" My response "its not my boat" The bow thruster zinc is pretty insignificant c/w a bottom paint job but its the same principle - at that moment its not your boat & you're still in the price negotiation phase of the purchase.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 07:34   #802

Chances are if the bottom need paint, just as above, you'll likely need zincs and perhaps other underwater jobs. Figure on re-hauling after the deal is completed and paying your own yard costs.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 08:15   #803

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the well wishes and support. I will probably head to Florida either next week or the week after. I'm thinking that I should look at a few boats while I'm there, besides the one that I want to make the offer on.

I'm now working on a final list of boats to view in Florida. I don't want to waste my time or a brokers time looking at anything that I wouldn't possibly buy, so I'm trying to be careful about what to choose.

Bob, I will look at 1 powercat, just to be sure that I don't like them

Anyone here know how to research marine heat installers? I'm unsure as to whether a boatyard would do this kind of installation or a marine heat company, or private tech? I can't get much from google, maybe I'm searching incorrectly. Phil, maybe you know?
Not sure which Phil you were asking about Heater installations but I'll chime in anyway. I had an Espar diesel heater with a great forced air distribution system throughout my 54 foot DeFever. Rather than go with a marine installation, I went with a good HVAC installer who did systems in new houses. He was about 1/3 the cost of a marine installer and having been in the real estate business, I bet you know some good ones. It isn't rocket science and any yard will have folks that can put one in. I went with Espar because what I read told me that its reliability and easy maintenance rated high compared with other systems. Definitely saved me a bundle using a regular HVAC guy to do the job. I spent about 6 months in the PNW in October, November so it ran a fair bit. I had a passive diesel heater in the salon which was fine for the salon, galley and wheelhouse but the heads and staterooms really benefited from the Espar system, particularly in colder climes... PM me if you have further questions... cheers and good luck with your search. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 10:57   #804

Boat: too many

One more little nudge towards a powercat. On Hummingbyrd, that 14 year old Malcolm Tennant design...

Your choice of a 68' mono vs the above 62' powercat.

You want space?
Your choice based on one level deck and cabin space 1156 sq ft
Hummingbyrd 1674 sq ft.

You want range? (based on 1600 gallon tankage and 9 kt cruise)
Mono 2000 nm
Hummingbyrd 4000 nm

Speed range (based on < 450 hp)

Mono 12 kt
Hummingbyrd 23 kt

How does Hummingbyrd do this? Besides the genius of a Malcolm Tennant design, a displacement hull exceeding a 10 to 1 length/beam ratio and just a 38,000 lb displacement.

When you have time to check this link out Powercat Trawlers - Trawler Forum be sure to click on the 2002 write up on her, post #2 "...PDF magazine article on her".

I keep pushing the idea of a cat cruiser because I think you want to captain your boat as soon as possible and I also believe you want to cruise some serious miles, and fuel burn is a big issue. Plus your insurance premiums will be lower for a boat that displaces < 40,000 vs the 185,000 lb boats your looking at.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 11:53   #805

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
One more little nudge towards a powercat. On Hummingbyrd, that 14 year old Malcolm Tennant design...

Your choice of a 68' mono vs the above 62' powercat.

You want space?
Your choice based on one level deck and cabin space 1156 sq ft
Hummingbyrd 1674 sq ft.

You want range? (based on 1600 gallon tankage and 9 kt cruise)
Mono 2000 nm
Hummingbyrd 4000 nm

Speed range (based on < 450 hp)

Mono 12 kt
Hummingbyrd 23 kt

How does Hummingbyrd do this? Besides the genius of a Malcolm Tennant design, a displacement hull exceeding a 10 to 1 length/beam ratio and just a 38,000 lb displacement.

When you have time to check this link out Powercat Trawlers - Trawler Forum be sure to click on the 2002 write up on her, post #2 "...PDF magazine article on her".

I keep pushing the idea of a cat cruiser because I think you want to captain your boat as soon as possible and I also believe you want to cruise some serious miles, and fuel burn is a big issue. Plus your insurance premiums will be lower for a boat that displaces < 40,000 vs the 185,000 lb boats your looking at.
Bob,
Can you suggest a powercat for me to look at while I'm in Florida next week? Anywhere near Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale would be great.
Old 22-08-2013, 12:01   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
For those of you advocating GG getting the bottom painted while the boat is hauled for survey or performing any other manner of work for that matter:

So, do you now suggest she request the seller to pay for all this work himself in anticipation/blind faith that the escrow will close? Or perhaps she could ask him to pay the yard storage fee to keep it on the hard till such time as ownership transfers so she can then contract the work done herself? Kinda reminds me of a story regarding a horse and a cart.

For GG: Besides Phil(rw58ph), how many of your advisors on this thread currently own and live on a boat in this size class? I mean you no offense in that question either as I honestly do wish you nothing but the absolute best of luck with your forthcoming purchase. I have no doubt in your sincerity but keep in mind there is no back charge for free advice.
It's ok Craig, I knew that I shouldn't do anything while the boat is hauled

You make a great point about who I get advice from, but I think that I have actually learned who's advice I should pay attention to and who's to disregard. Just as an example, I pay attention to Capt Phil. There are others... but I obviously don't want to start listing.
Old 22-08-2013, 12:06   #807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Not sure which Phil you were asking about Heater installations but I'll chime in anyway. I had an Espar diesel heater with a great forced air distribution system throughout my 54 foot DeFever. Rather than go with a marine installation, I went with a good HVAC installer who did systems in new houses. He was about 1/3 the cost of a marine installer and having been in the real estate business, I bet you know some good ones. It isn't rocket science and any yard will have folks that can put one in. I went with Espar because what I read told me that its reliability and easy maintenance rated high compared with other systems. Definitely saved me a bundle using a regular HVAC guy to do the job. I spent about 6 months in the PNW in October, November so it ran a fair bit. I had a passive diesel heater in the salon which was fine for the salon, galley and wheelhouse but the heads and staterooms really benefited from the Espar system, particularly in colder climes... PM me if you have further questions... cheers and good luck with your search. Phil
Oh wow, I didn't think that using an HVAC guy for the boat heat was possible, makes sense, but I have heard so many say not to use house guys on boats. Thanks for suggesting that. I have a call in to my HVAC guy right now to ask him about it You're right, that would definitely save a bundle.

What do you think about using a house carpenter to make minor adjustments?
Old 22-08-2013, 13:02   #808

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
A craftsman is a craftsman. A butcher is a butcher, ashore or afloat. If you know a craftsman the only change he'll need to make is to leave his level ashore.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 13:03   #809

Quote:
Bob,
Can you suggest a powercat for me to look at while I'm in Florida next week? Anywhere near Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale would be great.
Couldn't find any that would suit you and in that area. Below are 2 in the area, I'll keep looking.

1994 Carri-Craft Catamaran SRS 603 - Boats.com
1994 Carri-Craft 60' Power Cat - Boats.com

2008 Africat Afri-Cat Power Cat 420 - Boats.com
This one might be too small, but only 400 hours and 4 years old. Joystick control (doesn't get easier than that) @ 8.3 kt gets 5.9 mpg with 2800+ nm range. Other than the amount of room, it does it all. You would love joystick control.
Old 22-08-2013, 15:13   #810

One more in Florida.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=77647&url=

Tags
paracelle