Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2013, 05:04   #856
Marine Service Provider

So it's Saturday and nothing?
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:40   #857

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
So it's Saturday and nothing?
Yeah, how are you guys going to break 1,000 (...or maybe 10,000) posts on this thread if you goof of on Saturday?!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:54   #858

Bad News

Sorrry guys, I was so dissapointed yesterday I couldn't even post an update. This will be quick as I am heading to the airport. In a nutshell, I saw the boat and loved it. There was another offer on the table. I didn't know this when I arrived in Florida. The other guy viewed the boat yesterday. He was an offshore fisherman and owned a boatyard and several vessels, I was told by the broker. He made his offer as is were is with no survey contingency. I tried to top is offer by coming in over his by 25k with a survey contingency, but the seller went with his. There was no way I could beat that. I can't compromiise on survey. So, that's it. I lost the boat. I am very dissapointed.

Off to my flight. I can tell more later back in Boston.
Old 31-08-2013, 08:09   #859

Boat: too many
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Did you look at some other boats while down there?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 08:23   #860

Boat: Columbia 24

Part of the learning curve. Boats are about as similar to real estate as seamanship is to lawn care.
Eumelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 08:34   #861

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Re: Bad News

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Sorrry guys, I was so dissapointed yesterday I couldn't even post an update. This will be quick as I am heading to the airport. In a nutshell, I saw the boat and loved it. There was another offer on the table. I didn't know this when I arrived in Florida. The other guy viewed the boat yesterday. He was an offshore fisherman and owned a boatyard and several vessels, I was told by the broker. He made his offer as is were is with no survey contingency. I tried to top is offer by coming in over his by 25k with a survey contingency, but the seller went with his. There was no way I could beat that. I can't compromiise on survey. So, that's it. I lost the boat. I am very dissapointed.

Off to my flight. I can tell more later back in Boston.
So contact the buyer and make him an offer as he is a busness person so the boat to him is just a boat. Plus he has a yard to maybe do some work. He might have bought it to window dress and flip it. I know that was plan B if things didi not work out. Dont give up yet. Its not over yet.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 11:24   #862

Bummer. Contact the buyer and offer HIM the higher offer subject to survey. But keep looking... you never know. I am sure this was very disappointing... but hitting the jackpot on first try is like winning the lotto. You'll find a better boat now. Redouble your effort.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 11:27   #863
Marine Service Provider

Move on a better boat is waiting for you. Never overpay or take unnecessary chances.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 17:07   #864

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Bummer. Contact the buyer and offer HIM the higher offer subject to survey. But keep looking... you never know. I am sure this was very disappointing... but hitting the jackpot on first try is like winning the lotto. You'll find a better boat now. Redouble your effort.
I actually thought about doing just that, but somehow I highly doubt he will budge. This is a great boat and clearly he knows it.

I'm going to wait for another and hopefully it won't take to long. Hoping that this was a rare situation.

One thing I now know for sure is that the kind of boats that interest me are high demand boats, because every single one of them has sold within 2-3 months. I am going to have to be ready and aggressive on the next.
Old 31-08-2013, 17:15   #865

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Did you look at some other boats while down there?
The cat was too far from where we were and there was a Hat in Lauderdale that I would have viewed but it was also too far.

We drove 5 hours to view a garbage Cheoy Lee.

We also viewed a gorgeous and absolutely pristine boat, that I can't remember the manufacturer. It was a pocket listing and underpriced in my newbee opinion, but it only had 3 states and wasn't spacious enough for us.
Old 31-08-2013, 17:25   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Never overpay or take unnecessary chances.
I think your right. That was what did me in, the removal of the survey contingency. He had the advantage as he obviously knows boats. I never have home inspections on property, there is no need because I know houses. But I also know what I don't know and can't make stupid moves just because I want something bad. It would have been way too risky for me to remove my contingency. I'm a big risk taker, but that was way too much risk even for me.
Old 31-08-2013, 17:50   #867

You did the right thing. You know what you want and are now a more savy buyer. If this is the boat you want, you've made your search much narrower. It was a great learning experience. I feel that your are closing in on this dream and never buy a boat without a survey.... but you know that by now. Even smart boat people have a boat they are interested in surveyed... and the survey will almost always pay for itself... they always find things to knock the price down a bit.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 20:18   #868

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Just caught up with your reply to defjef... if it wasn't meant to be, put it behind you and keep looking... good luck, cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:25   #869

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I think your right. That was what did me in, the removal of the survey contingency. He had the advantage as he obviously knows boats. I never have home inspections on property, there is no need because I know houses. But I also know what I don't know and can't make stupid moves just because I want something bad. It would have been way too risky for me to remove my contingency. I'm a big risk taker, but that was way too much risk even for me.

Unless the broker got that other offer while you were in transit... would have been nice if he'd had the courtesy to let you know in advance...

Still, good you got a chance to actually view it, at least. And it would have worked for you and the family?

-Chris
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52   #870

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Make sure you call and follow as many boat deals fall thru and I would still talk to the buyer. There were several offers on the Eagle that fell thru before we made an offer.

Since he has a yard he might have bought it to keep his yard busy. We take jobs at break even loss just to keep the plant busy since we have the plant overhead. He probable bought it for a business reason. Might be a win win for both of you. He keeps his yard busy and you get the boat. Dont give up yet.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle