Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 07:59   #1006

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Geez....just let it die.....
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:02   #1007

Boat: Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
The above quote if from Post 1000. I think that's a good number to start over from. Also, GG was Completely Overwhelmed starting out; however, she is now on a different task of learning how to fix a boat to her requirements that is quite large compared to the average pleasure boat. Consider that if you double the dimensions of a boat, you have one that is 8 times larger. That's how the laws of relativity and similitude work when doubling the dimensions of a boat. See the Nature of Boats by Dave Gerr, Chapter 13.

If a guy's ego is related to the size of the boat, then a new thread could be as contentious as this one. Oh wait, that's what will happen when she starts to captain her boat. That should be lots of fun to watch.

Anyway, I suggest GG start a new thread about fixing up the boat she is getting.
Agreed. As the OP, GG should make a last post with a link to the new thread that will be focused less on deciding about a boat, and more on the "joys" of owning a boat.
Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 12:24   #1008

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
GG

That said I must now question why it has been over 17 months from the time you started this thread and have still not "pulled the trigger" and purchased a boat?
My house just closed 2 weeks ago. I have been waiting for the sale to make an offer
Old 25-02-2014, 14:27   #1009

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
GG

If everything you have told us about yourself is true (and Im sure it probably is) than my hats off to you for following your heart and adventurous spirit. That is inspiring indeed. You sound like a hard driven person who seeks out and gets what they want. Kudos to you! That said I must now question why it has been over 17 months from the time you started this thread and have still not "pulled the trigger" and purchased a boat? I understand completely due diligence and careful planning but I also understand the pitfalls of not being able to make a decision (right or wrong). Success in business is driven by the ability to make timely decisions after careful analysis the variables of the decision. So whats the deal?

BTW I'm not sure you qualify as a newbie anymore as you probably have more "book smarts" on this subject than just about anyone. Now its time to earn your stripes by actually "doing". Go get your boat girl!!

My thoughts only.
Cheers
Simple. GG is working to her time schedule not yours.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:48   #1010

I support GG despite the challenges she faces. She smart, and a caring mother and will not do anything to harm her children. She wants to skip the smaller to bigger boar paradigm that most feel comfortable with. And she seems to be leap frogging to quite a big vessel. But she'll do it because she careful and not going to rush into anything.

My own story is not similar in most details. But at 38 after a few sails and a 3 day course I decided to buy the boat and learn once I had it. I bought a brand new 36' boat 28 yrs ago and I still have her today and have sailed thousands of miles offshore including RT to the Caribbean to NY single handed. If someone had told me that this would be part of my future I would have laughed so hard as to fall over.
I was prudent and never had an accident and only a few non serious brief groundings in sand. I've sailed through every weather condition including a snow storm and full gale in the Gulf stream.

Where there's a will, there's a way. GG will be fine and she'll get the help she needs. And she'll get it from people such as those on this forum.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 17:21   #1011

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

This forum is to provide advice and counsel to those who have questions, not to bash those who are trying to gather info which bear on their decision making. Not our place to replace the process GG has chosen with ours.
Sandero's observations are sound and I agree with them. None of us has all the answers and I still am amazed at what I learn from reading many of your posts. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 15:20   #1012

Offer Accepted!!!

I am posting here not to dredge this thread back up, but because this post will go to all of my friends here who have been helping me for the past year.

I FINALLY have an accepted offer and I really need a great Hatteras surveyor and mechanical inspector in the Florida area.

Can anyone recommend someone? I don't want to choose someone random and I don't want to choose from the listing brokers suggestions.

You guys have stuck with me through this journey thus far and now I really need your help more than ever!
Old 14-04-2014, 16:15   #1013

GG
No definitive recommendations but suggestions for contacts regarding Surveyor recommendations:

Hatteras dealer(s)
Professional Marine Surveyor organizations
Insurance brokers familiar with brand
Local U.S. Power Squadron officers
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary officers

Mechanical:
Diesel engine distributors

Good luck ......... One more step in your journey!
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 16:49   #1014

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

Go on to the Hatteras owners forum. Also had a is still supports owners of their boats no matter how old they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 16:51   #1015

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

I was trying to write that Hatteras still supports owners of their boats I believe crazy speech to text sometimes it's difficult. Good luck

spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 18:30   #1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
GG
No definitive recommendations but suggestions for contacts regarding Surveyor recommendations:

Hatteras dealer(s)
Professional Marine Surveyor organizations
Insurance brokers familiar with brand
Local U.S. Power Squadron officers
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary officers

Mechanical:
Diesel engine distributors

Good luck ......... One more step in your journey!
Great suggestions, I'll try some tomorrow. Thank you!
Old 14-04-2014, 18:33   #1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
Go on to the Hatteras owners forum. Also had a is still supports owners of their boats no matter how old they are.

I had actually asked this same question on Hatteras forum about a month ago, got some good suggestions, but they are very far, like one is in California. Maybe I will go back and ask again about Florida. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2014, 22:24   #1018

Boat: Pending

#1017 was the last post? What is going on? I've been reading this thread about few hours and just ended!? This can not happen guys, gals! I loved reading every post, you can't stop now!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nicomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 22:26   #1019

Psst... Nicomine, check her signature for a link to her blog "5 Kids and a Boat"
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 22:27   #1020

Boat: Pending

Cool thanks a lot
nicomine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle