Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 16:43   #31

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Considering an inside passage trip

The San Juans are easy-peasy in the summer for the most part so no need for a guide. Put in at Anacortes and you are there.
Old 30-05-2020, 16:47   #32

Boat: Cutwater 28

A great app has been developed to identify birds along the way: Bird Net. You record the bird call, press analyse, and the app is right 90% of the time. Then check its answer on iBird Pro, which also has the birds calls. Play the call, if the bird reacts, that's it.
kelpline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 07:27   #33

There are plenty of boats in that 25-26 ft range without spending a lot.
In my opinion, with eventually wanting to do the inside passage or round Vancouver Island, you want an inboard engine. That complicates things a bit in that size boat. Not to mention at that size you get into a big tow vehicle also.
Choices, choices...
But you can surely get an outboard motor boat 23-26 ft and just start there and cruise for a while. You will develop confidence and be able to decide if taking it out further.
Do not hesitate to spend more for a boat that is better condition. Boat projects have a life of their own I can tell you from experience. Every bargain boat I have bought ended up costing me more than had I bought what I really wanted in the first place... and resulted in loss of sailing time.

An in law of mine had a Chrysler 26 with swing keel many years ago. Although we rarely hear of that boat, it seemed to be a very good boat for a trailer sailor.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 07:47   #34

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acertainman View Post

Our lifestyle puts us in a sub-$15,000 23-30' weekender/cruiser/cuddy. I'm 50, not close to retirement, and not wealthy, so the Ranger Tug will have to wait.
For 15k in the US you can get yourself a fix-a-upper of at least 30'. If you don't mind a little DIY, go for one with a shoddy interior that is otherwise seaworthy. Quite a few like that exists the in my experience as people who want a weekend cruiser usually seem to value the interior quality over seaworthiness - which probably costs them more in the long run.
Old 31-05-2020, 07:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
For 15k in the US you can get yourself a fix-a-upper of at least 30'. If you don't mind a little DIY, go for one with a shoddy interior that is otherwise seaworthy. Quite a few like that exists the in my experience as people who want a weekend cruiser usually seem to value the interior quality over seaworthiness - which probably costs them more in the long run.
Yeah, but he said he's in Oregon, so he'll have to decide whether to tow a boat or store it in Washington I guess.

Old 31-05-2020, 08:37   #36

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, but he said he's in Oregon, so he'll have to decide whether to tow a boat or store it in Washington I guess.
Is the ice so bad that he can't stay on a mooring or such? No experience there myself.
Old 31-05-2020, 08:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Is the ice so bad that he can't stay on a mooring or such? No experience there myself.
Nah, no ice up here in the salt water. Not many moorings either, mostly marinas. You can haul out for the winter though. We do get wind to +/- 70 mph every winter during storms though.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:04   #38

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie- View Post
For the last year or so I've been thinking a little about making a trip North via the Inside Passage from Seattle to... somewhere. Not exactly sure if, when, or how I'd be doing it but toying with the idea.

Has anyone here made this trip? Any key factors to consider?

My trip would probably be in a twin diesel 46' Express/Sunbridge aft cabin with a full canvas enclosure, 400 gallons of fuel capacity, and a onan generator. The trip would probably be more pleasant in a sedan cruiser like a Bayliner 4588 or a Nordhaven 43... if I had one

First question is... Is this worth doing in an express?
Yes it is worth doing, but remember, you are not allowed into Canada at this point and many of our First Nations are chasing folks away from their remote communities.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:59   #39

Boat: Catalina 30 / 46' Bayliner Avanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
Yes it is worth doing, but remember, you are not allowed into Canada at this point and many of our First Nations are chasing folks away from their remote communities.
This was originally posted in January

Everything cancelled this year... Maybe even next year too. I'm not expecting things to be back to normal for a long time.
newbie- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage