Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 21:17   #31

Re: crowd sourced Boat build

I found a hell of a nice Trolling motor for the kids boat on Craigslist for 65$ maybe two in parallel like cat would work... Whatever I get I could put in friends fishing quarry and figure out best power options... On a river a gas or diesel . I just hate to flop to wasting gas right away that could pay for nice electric set up in just a couple years .
ilikeboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 21:21   #32

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
Attachment 146574

Attachment 146575

Attachment 146576

I've built several boats from scratch, so I certainly understand why you'd want to do a project like this.......But, it's quite a bit cheaper to buy one. Maybe not exactly what you'll be after, but I picked up this older aluminum cabin cruiser, sans motor, last fall for not many pesos. I had purchased a boat/motor/trailer a few years ago because I needed a trailer for one of the afore mentioned boat builds. The boat was a fiberglass number that had been abused, but the motor had good compression, so I stuck it in the corner of the shop and waited for the right deal to come along. The old cabin cruiser had been totally refurbished inside, and even has a pretty sweet camo paint job. It's a 3 degree modified V, so it'll handle a little chop, but hold it's own in shallow water, as well. I'm in for less than what the bottom sheet of aluminum would cost to start this kind of project from scratch.
If you do decide to go on with your build, I've found that a "donor boat" is the cheapest way to get a trailer, outboard, controls, and all the little things like bow eyes and cleats that will eat your budget. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Fence Man has the right idea, buy a boat. I bought a 21ft. Boston Whaler with cuddy cabin and 160 hp Evinrude engine at an auction for $1500 including a tandem trailor. Pretty much ready to go. These deals are out there.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:14   #33

How about a demountable catamaran:

Store it on a flatbed trailer:
- Main house is 8' wide by 6.5' tall and sits on the trailer.
- A rack on top holds cross beams and hulls.
- The beams are say 14' and weight maybe 50lbs each. They slide into slots on the bottom of the house and pin into place.
- The hulls are maybe 2'x3' and slot and pin onto the ends of the beams. Assuming hollow, they shouldn't weight more than 100-200lbs each, so a couple guys could pull them down and mount them.
- A few floor panels with quick release make for 3' wide walkable side decks.
- Assuming a 1' draft (need to run the weight calculations), that would give you 2' bridge deck clearance, so modest waves and an occasional wake shouldn't be a problem.
- A pair of small outboards, should get you up to 6-8kts. Just need a quick disconnect for the throttle cables, so you can remove the motors when not in use. (you could always convert the power head to electric in the future if that is a desire)
- No need for steering as you can drive it like a tank with twin motors 14' apart by working the throttles.

Nothing to complex and assuming you have the connections set up to be simple, shouldn't take but 0.5-1.0 hours to set up.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:35   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 20:57   #35

Valhalla 360, love detachable cat idea, weight of build 1750# is what stich and glue says but would need supports build into to become detachable cat. Thanks everyone for input. I am considering all ways to simplify it and also make it better looking/more modern considering building in exterior and using alkaloid enamel for a prebuild build. A few hundred in material and paint before real build might solve a lot of problems... Another consideration Does anyone on here build with foam???? How hard would it be to build with foam maybe make it a lot lighter and get a beautiful modern shape on the hull and cabin. ????? What does everyone think?
Old 03-05-2017, 21:03   #36

Weavis, love the Schooner catamaran. Wonder about cabin height but nice drop in and set up... That is part of the appeal of a pocket trailer able catamaran or flat bottom boat.. It is a hotel on water and on the road, light enough to haul, easy on the pocket book, can be used in small areas , hoping to build with pocket money if something came be picked up on the used market.
Old 03-05-2017, 21:15   #37

If your on the east coast, easy, if not get your fat wallet out and say goodbye to money shipping is expensive... Thanks though have to admit it was my first choice... I am in Iowa
Old 04-05-2017, 15:24   #38

Boat: Pearson 33-2

SeaArk Voyager and Nomad Houseboats

I finally found the elusive SeaArk houseboat!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:30   #39

I like the boat you just suggested, this really is a trade off between what qualities you are looking for and it being practical to use or you have to throw the idea out... detachable cat is interesting idea but the problem i see with both is the hauling aspect. and size to haul down the road..i keep looking at some of the house boat designs and think it is like driving down the road with a billboard sideways mounted in the back of a truck .. down sizing get 6'2' headroom and keeping core amenities such as a place we can sleep next to each other, a inside shower area even if just using a solar shower, a table to sit inside and visit, a place to poop and pee inside if need be otherwise use places we stop, a way to cook and keep food cold maybe cooler with ice, a top deck strong enuff to hang out on. drop down ladder. seems like everyone is trading up to economy like they did with a mcgregor something caused them to reconsider hailing it around i bet it was dollars 80k and hgas milage. love the nomad having a roof that lowers it is a good concept too bad no none could afford to buy the idea. doesn't mean can't build one similar... it would also reduce gas milage hauling and if relocating by putting it down...... Great suggestion
Old 10-05-2017, 09:13   #40

Camper amenities and usage in a boat but a pop top i am sure it has major benefits for my usage. so how to keep it looking like a sporty boat and use the amenities of a camper. I think i am going to have to build based on all the crazy price tags and lack of boats available... but maybe find hull/ trailer to build on top of might be a cheap route and faster . I like catamarans and flat bottom boats
Old 10-05-2017, 09:23   #41

the Schooner cat is a beautiful size and easy to launch... very nice wish i had that hull and Trailer cheap to build on top of !!!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42   #42

This is something that might be able to find??? Chris Craft Catalina 25 Express cruiser. ??
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55   #43

Older one with blown motor on trailer in florida someone gave away for $100 do you think the hull shape is closest length ,width that could be redone to be a weekend road warrior vacation apartment gunk holler... Lol how do you think it would be in the water?? Still hunting specs.. this might be it guys... Maybe change interior to make like Dana 24. Guess I am having a hard time getting a feel for this boats dimensions...to know if it could work.. anyone here ever own one? Just found another $2500 w trailer runs... Does this seem like modern version of the original boat building idea??
Old 12-05-2017, 18:23   #44

Chris Craft Express 25 is too wide too heavy maybe... It seems tall. ... I don't know. I agree with you guys. Find something close and affordable that I can do mods on interior.. I was thinking gut a project c 25 might work if I could make it a lot lighter. Otherwise I love the demountable catamaran idea if I build... Seems like a V bottom is not the original boat idea at all but like what was said trying to be flexible... Love the idea of 24' cat the has 6'2' hd room in back smaller deck queen sm shower/pissed combo very small kitchen and u shaped or small booth. Swim Deck.. electric propulsion and small generator to charge w solar Bimini could be a cool idea it isn't about go fast
Old 13-05-2017, 09:58   #45

Building a Micro Houseboat - Home. Here's more reading https://books.google.com/books?id=Gj...seboat&f=false

Tags
boat