Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 11:38   #61

Re: Crowd sourced Boat build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeboats View Post
i have costed it out 2k to build isn't so bad. it also isn't about not buying plans just not the wrong ones / its about getting what you want instead of what someone wants to sell you.
Have you already settled on plans? If not, how can you cost out the build? The way to buy plans is to first determine what you need and then find plans that are suitable for that purpose. That's how to get what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeboats View Post
yeah, thanks for your admin response i am just trying to make a inland and costal cruiser. lakes would be it favorite travel destinations.. not all of are so lucky to call home next to the ocean but we still have a love for the water and boating...
If this was in reference to me, I am not an admin. I also think you're focusing on the wrong part of my post. From reading your posts, it seems to me that you aren't really reading or understanding the posts from others.

If you want boat design advice, go find boat designers and ask them.
Rudderless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 11:55   #62

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Go to catamaran plan web-sites and you will get all of the ideas you need to build and design what you are talking about. However your idea of spending $2000 is a bit low. You would spend over that in plywood and epoxy-cloth.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:38   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Build a scow. For what you want a cat. hull is ridiculous. The framing needed is more than you wish to do and isn't practical. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 16:01   #64

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Build a scow. For what you want a cat. hull is ridiculous. The framing needed is more than you wish to do and isn't practical. JMHO
I agree. I am thinking the OP is thinking a cat would be easier and cheaper to build. It will not.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 15:14   #65

Thinking of designing something like the dory tomcat and building it primarily foam for hulls with plywood/plywood/foam basalt fiberglass epoxy composite for frame, top, stringers, sole, bulkheads and change it so it isn't so ugly, everything is a evolution but a mountain of free pink or blur structural foam and wire cut it then finish the do a one piece construction and cut out the holes after for doors windows ect. wrapped with biaxial basalt then fiberglass epoxy would be pretty strong... maybe 1/2 plywood for framing or a solid lightweight natural wood from a lumber mill glued together for the stringers and make one piece that goes goes through both hulls and deck exterior foam everything else... might be strong light tomcats at 60k are not a good price option but a lot of design ideas... like placement and hulls... could the hulls be wider like 2'6" wide hulls with 8'6" beam?? 3'6" isn't much of a tunnel would that work well???
and how high from the water? 1'8" or is that too low for a costal cruiser?
ilikeboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 15:28   #66

i don't mind building something small.. anything under 25' doesn't seem impossible to me long as it fits in a single stall of my garage i think i will enjoy building it almost as much as sailing /enjoying it as a power boat. I think design has a lot of advantages in cost and final product.
I think the biggest challenge most replies on this forum i have gotten do not realize is that some people would rather have a small tame boat with amenities over a little faster on the water... i would rather be able to get there fast trailering and go slow once i get where i want to go
ilikeboats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat