Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 23:08   #1

Cruise-a-home 40

So, I'm a boat mechanic for a living, and I was working in a boatyard across town, and way back in a far corner is a pair of cruiseahomes, both in fair shape for the age, all things considered. They both are marina repos but there is one in particular I like, however, it has it's issues because the marina didn't block it right, and it blew over in a windstorm and crunched the starboard running gear, however, given that there is an identical boat next to it, I'm gonna see if I can snag a prop and shaft, strut, and rudder from the other boat, as, chances are both these are gonna get crushed come spring time when they clean out the boatyard. The work isn't the issue for me, as it's what I do for a living... Both sets of engines seem to be in fair shape, the boat with the crunched running gear was a runner when it got hauled out, although its been 6 or 7 years since it ran last, but theoretically shouldnt be too hard to revive...

I have an opertunity to get a decent sized liveaboard for cheap, and thinking about looking further into it, however beyond knowing a little about the hull design, I don't really know too much about this boat design, and information is spotty on the design. Wondering if anybody here knew anything
Chinook92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cruise-a-home 40

Cruise·A·Home Owners Page

Cruise-A-Home 40 Description

Cruise-A-Home Specifications

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 18:23   #3

Yeah well i can read the specs on the internet.........

Asking a question and getting a list of specs is like going to home depot and asking a question and having the kid read the back of the box to you in response to your technical questions....

Any real-life experiance????
Chinook92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 19:27   #4

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook92 View Post
Yeah well i can read the specs on the internet.........

Asking a question and getting a list of specs is like going to home depot and asking a question and having the kid read the back of the box to you in response to your technical questions....

Any real-life experiance????
Sorry no first hand experience, but having seen many examples of these over the years, I think as long as you only went away from the dock on reasonably decent days they have a lot of interior volume for the length. They certainly aren't designed to be a cruising boat in all conditions, but it doesn't sound like that is necessarily what you are looking for. If it is, perhaps consider other options.
Old 11-10-2018, 19:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

There is a cruise-a-home 40 down the dock from me.

These are actually very nice offshore boats in regards to their hulls. The coach has a lot of windage as you can see but that gives you their livable volume.

But back to the hull. As I recall the hull is based on an offshore fishing boat hull. They are seaworthy boats when in good running condition.

The boat down on the dock from me has been up and down the coast from Portland to Alaska. The owner has full confidence in its capabilities.

When I'm done with sailboats I would not mind having one.

Regards!
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 21:08   #6

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
There is a cruise-a-home 40 down the dock from me.

These are actually very nice offshore boats in regards to their hulls. The coach has a lot of windage as you can see but that gives you their livable volume.

But back to the hull. As I recall the hull is based on an offshore fishing boat hull. They are seaworthy boats when in good running condition.

The boat down on the dock from me has been up and down the coast from Portland to Alaska. The owner has full confidence in its capabilities.

When I'm done with sailboats I would not mind having one.

Regards!
34" seems like a pretty shallow draft for an offshore boat 40' in length, but it is good to hear they are more sea worthy than they appear. We used to see quite a few of them in the PNW, but not much anymore.
Old 26-10-2018, 15:26   #7

what shape is the other one in and where is it?
I am curious.
JayErabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 11:10   #8

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Gas engines tend to bond the rings to the cylinders with rust if they sit too long. I'd start there. Also if you have storage, you might save spares from the other boat.
A friend of mine lives on one and it should be fairly comfortable if you don't fill it up with junk. Don't make it top heavy.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 13:49   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook92 View Post
So, I'm a boat mechanic for a living, and I was working in a boatyard across town, and way back in a far corner is a pair of cruiseahomes, both in fair shape for the age, all things considered. They both are marina repos but there is one in particular I like, however, it has it's issues because the marina didn't block it right, and it blew over in a windstorm and crunched the starboard running gear, however, given that there is an identical boat next to it, I'm gonna see if I can snag a prop and shaft, strut, and rudder from the other boat, as, chances are both these are gonna get crushed come spring time when they clean out the boatyard. The work isn't the issue for me, as it's what I do for a living... Both sets of engines seem to be in fair shape, the boat with the crunched running gear was a runner when it got hauled out, although its been 6 or 7 years since it ran last, but theoretically shouldnt be too hard to revive...

I have an opertunity to get a decent sized liveaboard for cheap, and thinking about looking further into it, however beyond knowing a little about the hull design, I don't really know too much about this boat design, and information is spotty on the design. Wondering if anybody here knew anything
the biggest single issue I know of is the screws that hold the bottom of the swim platform brackets tend to allow water ingress rotting the lower half of the transom plywood. Not to difficult to replace but something to consider. usually gets into the stringers to.
another biggie is the fact that the top trim leaks badly on the starboard corner causing rot in the cabin in that corner and that tends to go all the way into the front bulkhead of the engine room .
i just spent 3 months fixing a customers cruise a home
on the good the hull is the same as used for the westport charter boats.
pm me for more specifics.

Tags
cruise