Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 10:09   #1

Cruise To Hornby Island

Hello Power Boaters!

New to the forum and happy to join the community! I am an intermediate boater, with a few thousand hours under my belt, and memebr of the the Canadian Power Squadron (CPS).

I live in Vancouver, BC, and am planning a trip to cross the Straight of georgia this Easter Long Weekend (April 18-21) with my 25ft. Bertram. I have never made this trip before and am wondering if there are any fellow boaters out there with some experience that would like to accompany me alongside in their own vessel for a nature filled trip (route is plotted to hit Howe Sound, followed by cruise to Hornby Island. If there is any interest in this, post to this thread or PM me. This will be a great journey for anyone involved!

Matthias
mkempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 18:05   #2

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Re: Cruise To Hornby Island

The big bay is open to the south. So it will not be a happy overnight if any wind from the south.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 18:08   #3

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

be very diligent in your weather forecasts, big tribune bay while a wonderful place to anchor in the summer when the winds typically come from the north can be extremely hazardous if it comes in from the south. i was anchored out there last summer when a southerly came in very large uncomfortable swell and wind causing 1 boat to lose its anchor and end up on the beach. he was lucky no damage and was able to have it pulled off the next day. looking at forecasts for this weekend the winds do look like they will be coming from the north all weekend so you may be in luck. Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo - Georgia Basin - Forecast - Environment Canada
Old 11-04-2014, 15:16   #4

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check the forecast to see if there is a southerly wind. @michaelmrc do you have any other tips/suggesstions or things to see for someone that hasn't travelled there before? Any specific hazards??

Thanks so much!
Old 11-04-2014, 15:39   #5

Coming from your direction no real hazards Wi d's still look like they will be 15-25 from the north so food for Tribune bay. Things to see. Tons I recommend hiking up to help well park gorgeous walk overlooking the bluffs of Tribune bay. The thatch pub has great burgers and beer but you would need to sail around for that as its by fords Cove. Check your depths coming in to Tribune you can anchor quite close to shore but be sure to check your tide tables. Other than that it's a beautiful spot and I'm more than a little jealous. Enjoy
Old 11-04-2014, 15:54   #6

Sounds amazing! I'll be sure to take some pictures and share them with you! Even better you should come along! Of course, it's weather dependant and if winds are above 15-20 knots when I get to Howe Sound I may have to reconsider. But I'm very much excited for the trip! I'm assuming there is a fuel dock at Fords Cove correct?
Old 11-04-2014, 16:06   #7

You would be wrong no fuel dock on Hornby bring extra fuel or refuel in nanaimo you can cruise the strait in 15-20 know in you boat no worries. Weather is supposed to be stellar. My daughter and I are hanging around during Newcastle island nanaimo this weekend
Old 11-04-2014, 21:01   #8

Looks like I will have to cross the Straight a little further South than planned! I think French creek will be an appropriate fuel dock! Have fun at Newcastle Island! I am actually going the following weekend (easter weekend) so you still have a chance to tag along
Old 15-04-2014, 15:24   #9

so did you make it to hornby this weekend? weather was fantastic tribune bay would have been perfect with the northerly winds we got.

Tags
cruise