Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 18:39   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Cruising Hawaiian Islands for a year or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-d View Post
In addition to Mahaffey, I got a copy of Noodles. It seems from both of these books, that there are sufficient anchorages for what I plan. Perhaps not perfect, and with conditions and exposure (seasonal) to wind and swell, but still workable.

I will, however, look into Tahiti. I've been following Adventures of an Old Seadog, and wasn't particularly impressed with Tahiti, but maybe I'll reconsider. One thing I need is a viable market for a suitable vessel, both to buy and sell at the beginning and end of the adventure.
Actually, Tahiti has a thriving boat market and the boats there are relatively cheap (sailboats - I do not know anything about trawlers or SF boats). Between the Society islands and the Tuamotus you will find unlimited diving and fishing, friendly people and friendly government. Only issue for you will be that your are american and will need to get a long stay visa (must be gotten in the US).

Have no idea of your budget - but here is an Ocean Trawler for $330k It is big enough that you could sail it to Aus or NZ and sell it there

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/20...r-e45-7338812/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 18:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Actually, Tahiti has a thriving boat market and the boats there are relatively cheap (sailboats - I do not know anything about trawlers or SF boats). Between the Society islands and the Tuamotus you will find unlimited diving and fishing, friendly people and friendly government. Only issue for you will be that your are american and will need to get a long stay visa (must be gotten in the US).

Have no idea of your budget - but here is an Ocean Trawler for $330k It is big enough that you could sail it to Aus or NZ and sell it there

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/20...r-e45-7338812/
Thanks. I have considered trawlers. This one is very nice, especially with JD engines and plenty of tankage.
Open-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 20:08   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
I called the Harbor Master at Honokohau and they confirmed the insurance thing. She said that its just like your car, you have to have insurance, I replied "Yes, but my policy doesn't have to mention the name and address of every Motel, Restaurant and Truck Stop I want to stop at". She didn't even seem to comprehend the difference. I asked if this was necessary just get fuel and water, and she said it wasn't, but didn't seemed to say it with much conviction.

As far as a sea anchor is concerned, and forgive me if I didn't make this clear, it would only be overnight, and only occasionally, Not for weeks or even days.
All you have to do is call your insurer and tell them what you want and they'll get you an addendum to your insurance policy. Have had to do it a couple of times for Honokohau and places on the mainland. No big deal at least with my Markel Policy from American Marine Insurance. You only need it if you are in a slip and don't know if it's required for a temporary but no big deal if it is.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 20:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
All you have to do is call your insurer and tell them what you want and they'll get you an addendum to your insurance policy. Have had to do it a couple of times for Honokohau and places on the mainland. No big deal at least with my Markel Policy from American Marine Insurance. You need it if you are in a slip and don't know if it's required for a temporary but no big deal if it is.
They said they would accept email copies.
Old 15-05-2020, 19:19   #20

Boat: Tartan T4400

Most if not all of the Yacht clubs will accept and email copy of the insurance and I believe that state harbors will too.
Old 16-05-2020, 00:43   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Open-d...

My oh my. Have fun, friend. Right now, going to Tahiti, and with your plan. Mmmmmmm!

I'm fairly sure this isn't a serious suggestion, but in the case that it might be, send a PM to chouli and find out about how French Polynesia is currently viewing cruisers, and the requirements and restraints.

Nobody wants you to come and steal their fish. Sorry, that's how it is viewed.
Old 16-05-2020, 01:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Open-d...

My oh my. Have fun, friend. Right now, going to Tahiti, and with your plan. Mmmmmmm!

I'm fairly sure this isn't a serious suggestion, but in the case that it might be, send a PM to chouli and find out about how French Polynesia is currently viewing cruisers, and the requirements and restraints.

Nobody wants you to come and steal their fish. Sorry, that's how it is viewed.
I always practice Gaff & Release!!
Old 23-05-2020, 15:33   #23

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

here's a suggestion. I seem to read between the lines that you would prefer to cruise in US territory.

Go to Florida - the number of trawlers/SF boats for sale is enormous - something for every taste/budget/wallet.

Then cruise Puerto Rico and the USVI - you'll find tons of wonderful anchorages both places and Marinas that will both have space and take you in without all the bureaucratic nonsense you find in Hawaii. When the hurricane season shows up - simply go back up tot he US and ride the ICW up to say the Cheseapeake and spend the summer cruising there.

Back down again in the fall. As you gain more experience you'll want to explore the BVI and other islands.

Believe me - you'll not run out of nice places ot be and visit for the rest of you life

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 27-05-2020, 13:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
here's a suggestion. I seem to read between the lines that you would prefer to cruise in US territory.

Go to Florida - the number of trawlers/SF boats for sale is enormous - something for every taste/budget/wallet.

Then cruise Puerto Rico and the USVI - you'll find tons of wonderful anchorages both places and Marinas that will both have space and take you in without all the bureaucratic nonsense you find in Hawaii. When the hurricane season shows up - simply go back up tot he US and ride the ICW up to say the Cheseapeake and spend the summer cruising there.

Back down again in the fall. As you gain more experience you'll want to explore the BVI and other islands.

Believe me - you'll not run out of nice places ot be and visit for the rest of you life
I'll give thaty some serious consideration.
Old 27-05-2020, 18:01   #25

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'll give thaty some serious consideration.
That area also includes the Bahamas - Exumas for example which si a fantastic vruising area, jade green water, crystal clear great snorkling or diving. Turks and Ciccos are pretty fantastic.

Old town San Juan is charming and you can easily spend days wandering and eating out.

You can charter a boat there for a couple of weeks and see if you like it.

Old 11-06-2020, 17:56   #26

Boat: Glastron, GS-249, 24 ft

I worked in Hawaii for a couple of years. It is an expensive place to live, most groceries and other stuff have to be imported from California. There is a State income tax, and they are aggressively looking for "residents" to tax. I worked on Oahu, but traveled to most all the other islands. Marinas are scarce and expensive. The former inter-island Super Ferry went out of business mostly because they had to cancel voyages in the winter due to heavy seas. I would agree with other posts that the waters around Mexico or Tahiti are generally calmer, and Mexico would be a lot cheaper.
Tom in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 12:08   #27

Boat: Tartan T4400

Tom The Hawaii super ferry failed because of having to stop operating by a law suit brought by the environmentalists to the Hawaii supreme courts and being order to cease operation. The court order them to go back and do a full EIS. With two boats to pay for and lease rent they ended up going bankrupt. The US DOT now owns the ferry's and the state has sols off the barges used for loading unloading operations. They also ceased operations on Kauai because the protestors blocked access to the pier. The USCG and state did not do their job keeping the navigable waters open to the ferry.
Old 14-06-2020, 13:12   #28

I've sailed back and forth to Hawaii 4 times and I really wouldn't want to try and make your plan work. I won't repeat other knowledgeable sailors here but it's not a good place to cruise. It's great for getting home to Canada and for the time we spent there we had some wonderful experiences but cruising there is a Supreme pain in my opinion.
If I was a fishing freak I think I'd go to the Marshall Islands, the fishing is amazing and the diving is probably the best we have experienced anywhere in the world plus because they are atolls you've always got a beautiful place to comfortably anchor every night.
The downsides are many, there are really no yachting faculties, you have to be self sufficient in every way. Majuro is really the only place to provision and get a restuarant meal and drinks and while a few restaurants are ok there are no 5 star places to hang out in.
If this is an important part of your future experience then its probably not for you however if catching record sized fish and experiencing world class diving is your thing then it's hard to beat.
If you are a WW11 freak then this is a wonderful place to experience as on many islands it's just as if they left it yesterday other than the growth and the corrosion of materials there are gun placements, live ammo, aircraft, bunkers...you get the drift. I certainly enjoyed it....very cool place. 750,000 square miles of islands spread out starting around 6 degrees north of the equator..few people, great weather, we did a whole year there without major issues.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 14:28   #29

We love the Hawaiian islands and have been 6 times in the last three years hopping around all the islands. Unlike the other places the people mentioned, all the cool stuff is inland, there are essentially no anchorages. I look out at the ocean everyday while we are there and I have never seen a cruising boat, only day sailors and sunset charters. By contrast French Polynesia is literally a sailors dream by comparison. I’d skip sailing to Hawaii unless it was just a quick stop over on your way to the good stuff.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, hawaii