Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 08:52   #1

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime
Cruising into Canada 2015

Ok, I sold my 72' Hat and had fun in the Bahamas and Florida now the next adventure.
I want to cruise my 41' Trawler into Canada for 2-3 months. Do some fishing, cruising leaving Seattle and head up into one of the channels up into like near Anvil Island and back up into Squamish or into the next channel Sechelt and way up that channel. Do I need a passport or will birth certificate. can i anchor up at night? Take a rifle, or tie up to a tree. can i buy fuel, groceries, etc. Thanks.
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:09   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Cruising into Canada 2015

I'm assuming you are an American. Technically you don't need a US passport to enter Canada for a pleasure trip, just other valid ID. HOWEVER, you do need a passport to get back into your own country, so my understanding is that Canada boarder service will insist you show a valid US passport so that you can go home.

You'll need some sort of visitors fishing license to fish. Of course you can anchor and tie to shore (assuming you've cleared into Canada). Leave the gun at home. Not needed, unless you plan to do some hunting. I understand there are ways to bring guns into Canada, but unless you're hunting, don't bother.
Old 13-02-2015, 10:28   #3

Yup that's about the right info. Too bad about about needing a passport but you guys are the ones that made that happen. Wasn't that long ago and it was a quick flash of your DL but them days are over. Good time to travel to Canada as our perk dollar lost 20% of its value in recent times so your US dollar will go a long ways. Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you will have a great time.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 10:43   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

The above is correct. Passport is best. They will hassle you on the Canadian side, ironically, because they know the US will hassle you more. You can get a special ID to use in place of a passport but it will cost you money - from the US.

They are really picky about alcohol. They will ask you. They want you to buy it in Canada. I think you can bring in 2 or 3 bottles of wine, a case of beer, 750ml of liquor, but not all three at these amounts. Look up the rules. Also, do not bring mace or pepper spray. Bear spray is OK if it is labeled as such.

If you are boarded they may give you a really hard time, and might even cite you, if you don't have paper charts (regardless of whether you think digital is better or not). And don't get caught lying about anything. You will be banned from entering Canada forever.

Also, if you have any offenses on your record that they think are significant they won't let you in either. They check. A recent DUI/DWI is a biggie with them. You can get around that after a certain number of years and you go through a specific set of procedures and pay a sufficient amount to cover their processing expense. I had a dog-at-large fine once but that didn't matter LOL. They have access to US criminal databases. They may miss some things but you might want to drive across one time just to see if you have anything that makes you nervous.

You don't need a ship radio license but you better have the standard safety equipment - signalling, life jackets, etc. They won't ask but if you are boarded they will make you suffer.

Pets are OK but you need proof of rabies vaccination within the last three years. And get a fishing license as noted and follow the fishing rules. Great people and fair. But they can be overly official sometimes so best to follow the rules.

But Canada is a great place to cruise. We love it. Thousands go up from Washington state every year. Beautiful coasts and friendly people with a quick, dry sense of humor.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 05:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Splash of Lime.
bsf5061: Coming to Canada by Small Aircraft or Recreational Boat

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 08:39   #6

Boat: cheoy lee 43 pilothouse

you can find great night anchorage at all the islands at the mouth of Howe Sound.
in Squamish, it's either too deep or expose to thermal winds, but you can anchor inside the Blind Channel right next to the Squamish Yacht Club or simply go to the Squamish yacht club visitor dock (the long dock with no boats) it should be free for a least a few nights.
for entering Squamish blind channel, be carefull, come in at rising tide , check you depth meter for shallow silted area...

enjoy the best cruising ground in the PNW!!!
oceane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:21   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I don't want to hijack the thread, but there seems to be a lot of knowledge about rules and regs of Canada.

Regarding bringing alcohol to Canada, it was mentioned to me by a Canadian friend (not a lawyer) that they don't want an excessive amount of commercially made SEALED bottles brought in as they don't want it sold on the black market.
Homemade wine in reasonable amounts is OK; they just don't want you selling any (I am not a lawyer).

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:49   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Great people and fair. But they can be overly official sometimes so best to follow the rules.

LOL LOL LOL - try going the other way
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 10:02   #9

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Get an I68 pass before leaving the US and then you only have to call customs when returning. Saves going into the customs dock.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 12:17   #10

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Lot of good Canadians but the rules are iinterpreted differently by each inspector, and if you give them any static you will be in deep trouble...
Firearms can be a lot of trouble. Long guns can be brought in but there os a charge for each gun. AND NO PISTOLS (unless you are going for a match). The I-68 is good, though a Passport is better, and both together are better still. YOU must always remember to live by their Rules...
You can look up and print all the rule you will need on your computer One other thing if you want to hunt in Canada, you will need to hire a Commercial Guide... They do not want you to get Lost or into trouble with some of the big game, no matter how much experience you have hunting...

Have a good trip...it is different from the East Coast...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:04   #11

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash of Lime View Post
Do some fishing, cruising leaving Seattle and head up into one of the channels up into like near Anvil Island and back up into Squamish or into the next channel Sechelt and way up that channel.
Not sure why you are attracted to Squamish or Anvil Island, or if those are just places you have seen on a map, but sleepy Sechelt is a pleasant place to spend a few days. You are likely not going to travel all the way from Seattle without also taking in the Sunshine Coast, Princess Louisa Inlet and Desolation Sound.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:37   #12

LEAVE THE GUN (S) AT HOME !!! THEY REALLY DON'T LIKE 'EM UP HERE AND WILL ONLY RING THEIR BELLS.
As you head into Howe sound you might want to stop at Snug Cove -Bowen Island...nice restaurants some nice little hikes
Not much worth seeing around squamish and the outflow wind can drive you nuts, but Gambier island and Keats (plumper Cove) are wonderful as is the little town of Gibsons right across from Keats.
Good anchorage right in front of the town (also moorage ) but you probably will have to go back around Keats to get out "front" to go to Sechelt as Shoal Channel is just that. ) Lots of nice little Islands on the east end of Keats.
If you REALLY want some good gunkholing come across the Georgia straight to Vancouver Island and cruise the Gulf islands. Paradise !!!!!
dalewils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:48   #13

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Might I suggest that you obtain a copy of Waggoners Cruising Guide with the appropriate carts for the waters you are interested in... It will give a lot of the information you will need. Also, you might think about getting someone that knows some thing about these waters to go with you. When specificly do you plan on going North? The weather from Seattle - North is very changeable with Rain and Fog up into Alaska...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:54   #14

come to think of it...if you're coming up from Seattle you REALLY should cross the Juan de Fuca and head up towards Victoria and our Gulf Islands before you bother with Howe Sound etc. Once you've cruised here it's easy crossing to Sechelt and points North. I won't belabor this but do get a cruising guide that lists the Gulf Islands and check it out.
Just Sayin.....))
dalewils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:58   #15

Boat: Lagoon 420

You shouldn't limit yourself to Howe Sound. You need to check out the Gulf Islands and the rest of Georgia Strait up into Desolation Sound. Snug Cove on Bowen Island is a little gem.

Do I need a passport or will birth certificate. => Best to have a passport.
can i anchor up at night? => Yes you can.
Take a rifle, => I suppose with the proper papers. Americans come hunt here all the time.
or tie up to a tree. => Why not?
can i buy fuel, groceries, etc. => Yes, we have boats & vehicles up here so we need fuel!? We eat up here too amazingly!???

Have fun.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, cruising