Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 00:19   #1

Boat: Cooper Prowler 40'
Detroit Diesel 8.2L Operating Manual?

Hello all,

I am completing the purchase of a 40' Cooper Prowler next week. It is powered by 2 Detroit Diesel 8.2L motors 250hp each. The current owner doesn't have the Operating Manual for the engines. Does anyone have or know where I can get this manual?

Thanks,
Jeff
my3star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 03:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Detroit Diesel 8.2L Operating Manual?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jeff.

Manuals for Detroit Diesel 8.2 Liter Engines ➥ http://www.detroitdieselpartsdirect....-liter-engines

8.2 Service Manual ➥ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...VoBoZT4rs/edit

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 11:27   #3
cruiser

I too am looking for the 8.2L operating/service manual. Any chance you can give me permissions on the gDoc? The injector settings on this motor are super difficult! Thnx in advance.

j
justalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 11:45   #4

Boat: J/42

Since the 8.2 is the same engine used in early humvees, you can download an exhaustive maintenance manual from military sites for free. I sold mine several years ago and all the manuals went with it. Pretty reliable old beast though, as long as you weren't in a hurry.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 12:22   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Since the 8.2 is the same engine used in early humvees, you can download an exhaustive maintenance manual from military sites for free. I sold mine several years ago and all the manuals went with it. Pretty reliable old beast though, as long as you weren't in a hurry.
Thanks so much for the tip, toddster. I've been googling around and found that it was included in a Canadian run of Bombadier M35A trucks but haven't found much else on the humvee front. Do you have any links/ideas? Also, I don't have any experience looking for old military documentation. Do you have a site recommendation? Sorry to ask so many questions and thanks in advance for any help/direction you can provide.
justalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 12:57   #6

Boat: J/42

Sorry, I no longer seem to have the files for that vehicle. I think you would search for the manuals for an early 80's Humvee, which wikipedia suggests would be a M998 A0 series HMMWV. There will be a lot of irrelevant material, but IIRC, one volume was "engine and drive-train" which was almost identical to my 85 GMC Suburban.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 04:28   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3star View Post
Hello all,

I am completing the purchase of a 40' Cooper Prowler next week. It is powered by 2 Detroit Diesel 8.2L motors 250hp each. The current owner doesn't have the Operating Manual for the engines. Does anyone have or know where I can get this manual?

Thanks,
Jeff
One of our earlier boats had a DD 8.2T. Worked fine. Ours was marinized by Johnson & Towers (J&T), and they'd likely be able to point you in the right direction.

There were also other marinizers, I think, so bolt-on systems may be slightly different depending on original source... but those others should be able to help, too, if you can pin down who did the original conversion work.

FYI, there was at least one service bulletin on these engines; had to do with increasing the size of the headbolts. Can't remember details, but seems to me 15mm was either the size of the old or the size of the replacement... Google can help you find all that...

-Chris
Old 31-05-2017, 10:12   #8

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Lotta people selling manuals, parts books on ebay. Haven't looked for 8.2, but always many DD 2 cycle manuals.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel