Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2016, 10:44   #31

Boat: 1971 cal 27
Re: Does seawater dissolve power boats?

i suspect a big part of that is the status symbol element. while boats, in general, as seen as a status symbol showing off wealth, this is much more so with powerboats. often the names given such boats exemplify this showing off wealth element. if you have a symbol of status and wealth, you have to make sure it's shiny and clean. you see that with a lot of the yuppie bikers. they don't ride tons of miles and when they stop for a drink they wipe the road dirty off before going in. i think it's the same with a lot of the powerboats at marinas. i haven't noticed the same kind of cleanliness out of less financially well to do fishermen.
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 11:25   #32

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

We rinse our steel boat with fresh water and wipe down the stainless steel upon returning to the marina. The anchor chain is given a fresh-water rinse from the boat's supply as the anchor is recovered.
Old 30-10-2016, 11:39   #33

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't hate power boaters as a group except for the clueless ones that wake the crap out of me just because we hey need to go fast everywhere.

Meanwhile you didn't answer the question of whether your boat is going to dissolve if you don't wash it after every use (your words)
One man's opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it. It has seemed to me, over a lot of years, that power boaters are not nearly as dedicated to their boats as are sailing types. The things are generally more expensive to buy and most certainly much more expensive to operate. They seem to be show-off/investment toys to a lot of folks. Nothing wrong with that either, except they don't usually invest enough time to develop knowledge concerning boating and rules of the road. I now have a 47' Chris Craft Commander that I dearly love, but I don't wash it down after each use. I'm 75 now, and can't take the physical requirements of sailing or a lot of other things I once did without even thinking about it. Neither am I a rich man. Not even close. Just a guy that loves the water. My boat burns about a gallon of diesel for every mile I move this 35,000 pound critter. Worth it to me, though, as is hiring major work done because of my age. And you won't find me throwing a wake around other boaters (and this boat throws a hellofa wake!) or failing to give sailing vessels the right of way. That's just common courtesy. I guess it all boils down to boating being an extremely personal thing that everybody approaches in their own fashion, some good some not so much.
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 11:49   #34

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Could it be that sailors are saltier than powerboaters? Just asking.

PS I love it when the sword fight image is appropriate!, almost as much as when the beer sharing one applies
Old 30-10-2016, 11:51   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
..got to also remember a lot of the stainless onboard is anodized as well to protect it,, so is aluminum otherwise the saltwater will attack these elements.. even if it's stainless and there are different qualities of stainless also 308 316 just to name a couple.
Stainless is never anodized. 308 would be unlikely to be found on a boat. 304 and 316 are the alloys used on marine hardware.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:23   #36

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I think Don is just up a creek hiding from Beauford T. Justice...The real injustice is perpetrated by BIRDS! Fowl birds cause more boat washing than all other reasons combined. Down with bird doodoo.�� Cruel and evil avian terrorists will defiles your vessel within moments of your leaving the boat.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:38   #37

Seawater dissolves all boats eventually.... wood, glass, steel, aluminum...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:44   #38

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Seawater dissolves all boats eventually.... wood, glass, steel, aluminum...

Just so it doesn't dissolve my new max prop too soon.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:15   #39

Assuming it's a genuine question.... (fast) powerboats tend to get more spray on them. If you just leave it to dry the salt becomes hard and abrasive to the gelcoat. It also ends up on your hands and feet when you go on deck, and gets tracked back inside.

It makes sense to rinse it off as soon as you get back to the dock.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:27   #40

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
i suspect a big part of that is the status symbol element. while boats, in general, as seen as a status symbol showing off wealth, this is much more so with powerboats. often the names given such boats exemplify this showing off wealth element. if you have a symbol of status and wealth, you have to make sure it's shiny and clean. you see that with a lot of the yuppie bikers. they don't ride tons of miles and when they stop for a drink they wipe the road dirty off before going in. i think it's the same with a lot of the powerboats at marinas. i haven't noticed the same kind of cleanliness out of less financially well to do fishermen.
Can't resist.

Maybe the personality traits that lead to wealth and expensive boats also lead to taking care of your stuff?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:45   #41

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Can't resist.

Maybe the personality traits that lead to wealth and expensive boats also lead to taking care of your stuff?
I can't either:

Actually, those traits seem (in the real world) to lead to hiring others to do the taking care biz...

Jim
Old 30-10-2016, 16:24   #42

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I can't either:

Actually, those traits seem (in the real world) to lead to hiring others to do the taking care biz...

Jim
Maybe. Still getting taken care of. The posters commenting on power boaters cleaning their boats haven't been specific as to whether it's the owner or hired help doing the cleaning.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 17:54   #43

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hi, just a wild stab in the dark but I do believe that sailorboys question was very much tongue in cheek, and so in the same vein,
God I hope so! So there!!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 19:51   #44
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The first thing it seems a power boat does when they pull into a slip is to wash it. And since I don't see a lot of power boats at anchor I assume they must do this after each outing/trip. When I pull in I have things on my mind and washing the boat isn't one of them. I wash my boat when it is dirty, but other than that it hasn't dissolved etc. in 16 years.
Rinsing a boat down after use is simply proper boat maintenance. But maybe you aren't interested in that.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 20:52   #45

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Why do sailboaters often luff their sails when not tacking? Because they aren't paying attention! Why don't they maintain their course when they are the stand-on vessel? Obviously, some sailors are clueless. That's not the monopoly of power boaters.

Tags
power boat, water