Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2016, 18:01   #46

Boat: S&S/Sangermani 52
Re: Does seawater dissolve power boats?

Sea water wrecks just about everything ... except wooden boats. It's fresh water (rot) and sunshine (UV) that damage wood. Ideally a wooden boat is washed down with salt water, and then varnish and metal are wiped off with a fresh water damp rag.
RodgerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 18:28   #47

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

When I served on an 82' Coast Guard Patrol boat back in the mid 70's, we'd have to wash her down from top to bottom every time we got back into port - and yes, sometimes we were only out for a few hours, and yes once even when I was so very sea sick and all I wanted to do was to hit my rack and die..

And when were in port and not on SAR duty (Search and Rescue) we were painting or polishing just about anything that didn't move, and lubricating everything that did move.. The only reason I can think of doing all of this work was from a fear of the boat dissolving in the salt water.. <VBG>

flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 18:43   #48

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
When I served on an 82' Coast Guard Patrol boat back in the mid 70's, we'd have to wash her down from top to bottom every time we got back into port - and yes, sometimes we were only out for a few hours, and yes once even when I was so very sea sick and all I wanted to do was to hit my rack and die..

And when were in port and not on SAR duty (Search and Rescue) we were painting or polishing just about anything that didn't move, and lubricating everything that did move.. The only reason I can think of doing all of this work was from a fear of the boat dissolving in the salt water.. <VBG>

flk k
The Coast Guard also has a great fear of crews dissolving in idleness and they dream up a lot of busy work to prevent it.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 19:15   #49

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Just FYI, Australia being a dry continent, washing boats is generally frowned on and at times banned. Different countries- different issues.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:55   #50

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

It is a good thing salt water disolves everything or else there would be a ton of more junk floating around. Between UV and salt water the earth can break down everything (in time). Actually don't even need salt water...just water, UV and time.

You can offset these effects significantly with cleaning, polishing (waxing) and covering.

If you have the $$$ or the energy.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 13:15   #51

Over here in Greece motor boat guys always wash their boats after a trip.

Also what i have noticedon many vessels is that there is severe corrosion due to the grounding of the boat
yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 00:01   #52

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
last i saw fg was one of the very few things seawater didnt dissolve.... hahaha
jim cate you failed to mention power boats have already experienced dissolution by sea water, that is why they have no mast sails or other use able propulsion devices necessary --which is the reason the ARE power boats
Zeehag, I have a mast on my Chris 410. When I want to sail, I take the bimini off the flybridge and attach it. Voila! Instant sailboat. Now, for my next lie....

I guess I'm in the sailing group on washing the boat down with fresh water. Rarely happens unless it rains. I do wash it down with the anchor hose, though, pumping sea water. Knock the dust off kind of thing. No problems thus far. Same goes for repairs. Unless it's something major and beyond an old man's ability, I manage to get it done. I do have her hauled and the bottom done every couple of years by the yard people. They seem young and hungry.
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat, water