Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 16:32   #76

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Easy boat to dock

Some boats definitely dock better to one side or the other. Sometimes it's maneuvering related (usually due to prop walk with a single), sometimes it's due to layout. With my boat, I dock port side to whenever possible even though it doesn't matter maneuvering wise. The power inlets are midship on the port side. And I have aft step points through the rail on both sides, but a center one on the port side only.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 15:34   #77

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkville View Post
.....I wonder if anyone has suggestion on the type of 30' boat would be easy to dock. Or maybe its just a matter of practice.....

Twin screws are better than a single for maneuvering pretty much any boat, be it outboard, inboard or stern drive.

Single screw inboards CAN be maneuvered in reverse but must be run fast enough to allow a sufficient amount of water to go over the rudder to be effective. This means you have to set up properly and manage the speed better to avoid loss of control. Typically a single screw inboard in reverse will favor one direction over the other, in many cases quite dramatically.

Bow thrusters on a 30' boat with a single screw are always handy but add additional cost, battery draw down and maintenance. If you have the budget, get one. If not, practice setting up properly for wind and current, learn to use docklines properly, particularly spring lines, and you should be able to handle a 30 footer without one.

It's not a particular boat model per se that will be easiest to dock but the particular propulsion system on the boat that will be the greatest determinate.

And also, lots of practice.

Have fun shopping.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 19:26   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I have to say, I don't recall meeting someone who made a sail vs power decision based on docking attributes.

Where do you plan to liveaboard? Some areas are more conducive to sail such as San Francisco. Other areas are more conducive to power such as PNW or Florida.

mvweebles, I plan to liveaboard in PNW.
yorkville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:38   #79

Quote:
mvweebles, I plan to liveaboard in PNW.
Yorkville - PNW is to powerboats what San Francisco is to sailboats. PNW is arguably North America's premier powerboat center due to access to SE Alaska and San Juan Islands, apparently dynamite cruising grounds (I have no direct experience). There are plenty of sailors there too, but you will have more options with power than sail. The PNW, more than any place in North America I can think of, contends with currents. Winds are relatively manageable, certainly compared to San Francisco. Due to the winter weather (long, cold and drizzly), I'd be surprised if you decided a sailboat was a better liveaboard choice than a powerboat.

I don't recall if I already suggested, but you may want to ping the members of TrawlerForum (sister site to CF) for both boat recommendations and teaching recommendations in the PNW, perhaps a charter base.

I lived on a Willard 30 Searcher model for a couple years. This model W30 is laid out similar to a sailboat with much of the interior low and access in/out is via a companionway. Worked okay for San Francisco but the layout would not be good for PNW as it's colder and wetter there. It's a very small 30 footer. Especially compared to the only slightly longer Bayliner 3288 which actually has a second stateroom. I'm not crazy about the build quality on many Bayliners and they are not the style for me, but they have an avid following and are relatively easy to resell. The interior space is hard to beat. A quick google search turned-up this example of one in La Conner for about $40k with twin Hino diesels (note - my understanding is parts are becoming difficult to find, and at 150hp/ea, this boat probably won't plane except for very light load. Plus side is the props are in 'tunnels' and docking is probably decent, though susceptible to windy conditions).

For me, moving up to my Willard 36 was like moving into the Taj Mahal even though it too is a small boat for its size. Biggest benefit is having a stall shower versus a wet head which, for a liveaboard, is very difficult. Especially in PNW - walking up dock every morning is a pain.

One thought comes to mind about PNW. My understanding is slips can be hard to come by. Might be easier to find a slip first then the boat. Getting a boat you can't slip is very expensive and stressful.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:03   #80

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I am thinking abt getting a ~30' powerboat for liveaboard. But I found docking to be very challenging on the few occasions I tried. I wonder if anyone has suggestion on the type of 30' boat would be easy to dock. Or maybe its just a matter of practice.

I think I won't bother to address docking all that much, since everybody and their brother jumped all over that already. I'll just add "it depends" is at play when it comes to boats and ease of docking... and yes, it's a matter of practice, practice, practice... as you learn how your boat reacts to various techniques.

Helps to have some coaching on various techniques that will most likely apply to your boat... so it's not uncommon to hire a tutor at first. And then it helps at first to dock 5 times every time you move the boat. IOW, dock, evaluate, leave the slip and do it again, etc.

Anyway, I think maybe useful to mention a 30' powerboat is relatively tiny for living aboard. Sailors here will of course think there's lots of space (correct, compared to a 30' sailboat)... but be that as it may, 30' is seriously small. Approx half the interior space as the bedroom... in a one-bedroom apartment. Doesn't meant it won't suit you or you can'd do it; just that you should consider how you react to size and elbow room... or lack thereof.

Also, configurations vary, and features come with consequences. And "express" cruiser or fishboat -- i.e., no flybridge, imagine a Sea Ray 30" Sundancer -- means you live in a cave most of the time. You can extend that a bit with a helm enclosure and maybe cockpit canvas, but it won't add much. A flybridge boat gives you a chance to exterior views from the saloon, and a flybridge enclosure can extend that nicely. But now you're more likely getting into the 36' range or above.

It would likely benefit you to go see boats. Consider what it would be like to live on various models. Often, if you strike up a conversation on the dock with owners -- and if you look clean/safe, etc. -- you might be offered an impromptu interior tour... and that could help you think about it, too.

-Chris
Old 13-07-2020, 14:32   #81

Boat: Endeavour Catamaran 36'

+1 california Ted's got it right.
Mike Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 19:19   #82

Once again, many thanks to everyone's great suggestions. Look like learning almost all things in life, practice, practice and practice.

mvweebles, I will check out TrawlerForum. I bought a 30' slip recently, hence looking for a boat now.

ranger42c, I am very much a minimalist. I checkout a few 30' boats and they look more than adequate for my lifestyle.
yorkville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 20:14   #83

Boat: Catalina 387

Did anybody mention twins? 'Cause as a sailor, used to the maneuverability of a sailboat, twins are awesome. Go back, go sideways, spin, etc... Easiest docking ever. Single outdrive? Pretty dang easy, cause you can steer in reverse. Single screw powerboat? Just like a sailboat, but lacking the keel means it doesn't spin on a dime, doesn't steer in reverse, etc...

Twins are pretty common on 30' powerboats. I think all the powerboats on my dock are twins but 2. One, owned by a long time sailor, diesel single trawler kinda thing. He leaves and returns to the dock just fine. The other, an 27' enclosed helm fishing boat, single diesel, charter, always skippered by the owner, goes out 4-5 times a week. This maroon had a bow thruster installed because he couldn't get it out of the slip. Before the thruster I tried to explain spring lines, etc... No go. I've caught him dozens of times reversing (lots of power), turning the wheel, goosing it in fwd, reversing right before he hits the dock, repeat. So I go out, grab his bow, and throw the turn on. He also likes to call sailors WAFI's, but I surely can get my dang boat out of the slip without somebody helping...

Moral of the story: Learn to drive the boat. If somebody else can, you can. But twins make it freakin easy.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 04:02   #84

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Once again, many thanks to everyone's great suggestions. Look like learning almost all things in life, practice, practice and practice.

mvweebles, I will check out TrawlerForum. I bought a 30' slip recently, hence looking for a boat now.

ranger42c, I am very much a minimalist. I checkout a few 30' boats and they look more than adequate for my lifestyle.

Go for it!

See you on trawlerforum, too...

-Chris
Old 17-07-2020, 07:16   #85

Quote:
I am new to powerboating. Previous experince only in sailing dinghy and hobie cat.

I am thinking abt getting a ~30' powerboat for liveaboard. But I found docking to be very challenging on the few occasions I tried. I wonder if anyone has suggestion on the type of 30' boat would be easy to dock. Or maybe its just a matter of practice.

many thanks.
Okay In Uncle Sams Canoe. We would learn on the old LCVP. A 36 foot hard to handle landing craft. I recommend that it Wouldn’t hurt you to find a reputable powerboat instructor. A couple of hours of Learned instruction with a certification
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:17   #86

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Read Chapmans Piloting and seamanship.
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:38   #87

Boat: American 14.6

Don't forget to also teach/practice your crew about docking procedures.

There are things they can do to help (other than standing there like a deer in headlights), especially when conditions aren't ideal.

Don't wait until the wind is blowing 25kts off the dock and start barking orders they don't understand. That's stressful and frustrating for everyone involved.
RileyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:41   #88

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

A 30' is a little tight for a live aboard but doable. Closet space and walk room seem considerably larger with just a few feet more in length. You probably won't notice this until you've owned the boat for a month or two. However, some owners of 70' to 80' boats feel cramped and others are satisfied with a 24' boat with a Portapotty and an ice chest.

As to docking, unlike a sailboat with a big rudder and a tiny propeller, powerboats have small rudders and big props so prop walk becomes a major factor in docking. Backing into a dock space with a single engine can be challenging so the recommendation is to get a boat with twins. The vast majority of twin engine boats have counter rotating props with the starboard prop turning right hand or clockwise and the port rotating to left when going ahead. This makes the boats pull to center when backing. This also allows the use of throttles rather than the wheel for reverse directional control as the small rudders are much less effective at low speed or in reverse than a big sailboat rudder. To pull to starboard, increase port throttle or put starboard in neutral for a second or two. Bow swinging? No problem, on the side that it's swinging toward, put the engine in forward for a couple seconds.

The most common problem seems to be hesitating and going too slowly when backing which allows the wind and current to have a much greater effect on the boat. This blows or drifts the boat away from its intended path. Powerboats have more hull above the waterline than a sailboat so they're more influenced by the wind. The force from wind and current is constant so a delay or moving too slowly allows these forces to move the boat further away from your intended path.

Bow and stern thrusters as well as a joystick control can be helpful to counteract strong winds or currents but many without them learn to dock like the boat was on rails, it just takes more time to learn to consistently get to the point where the crew can step off and attach the lines to the dock cleats.

One suggestion that I often make to new boat owners or those getting a boat that is significantly larger or different than the last one is to practice docking by going out on a fairly calm day and throwing a couple fenders overboard to simulate the dock. Secure the fender lines to avoid getting them tangled in a propeller. Try backing next to one then line them up and practice backing into two of them as though they represented the dock or pilings.

YouTube has some videos that can be quite helpful for docking knowledge.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:44   #89

As a US Sailing instructor, our school also originated US Power Boating a similar teaching model to US Sailing, (I was part of that process) but applied to power boats. We started students on Mainship 30’s. Single screw diesel with thruster. We started out with no thruster allowed unless absolutely essential. Once one got the feel of how the vessel responds and handles, a thruster is nice but not essential. I owned a single screw 34 foot flybridge trawler with no thruster and cruised the entire eastern seaboard twice. No problems. That said, “ would you like a thruster, I will install it for tree”. I would say SURE. But I didn’t need one bad enough to spend the money on it. They are nice and indeed do help. For some singles, they are more that nice. One of the big differences in power and sail is the amount of power and throttle response. Look out. Easy on that throttle or you could end up T-boning another vessel or dock. Depending on the boat, professional or a very experienced and savvy mentor may be in order. They are much less forgiving and much poorer rudder response than sail boats. And as mentioned they have the power to really get you in trouble. Yes, you can get into trouble with a sailboat in close quarter too, but in a power boat it can happen so much faster and with so much more force!
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:51   #90

I am a training captain and assist owner/operators with their new acquisitions. And, yes, I also offer “couples therapy “ so bring you significant other.

There is no yelling in boating.
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dock