Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 08:39   #1

Effects on Boat Sitting at the Dock

We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of storing our 49' RPH Defever on the hard or at the dock for 5-6 months. Far less expensive to keep it in the water. Boat will be in Florida from June-December and will not be used though, if left at the dock will be hooked up to electricity and will have a dehumidifier running. Will also have a diver come and bottom clean on a regular basis.
Do I need to be concerned about the boat being in the water and unused for a six month window? If so, what are the effects on the boat?
maryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 08:52   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Effects on Boat Sitting at the Dock

I have left a boat in Florida for a couple of months with no major issues. Obviously, in that time frame one of your biggest concerns might be the arrival of a hurricane. I would definitely strip the topsides as if getting ready for a storm, and then you need to have a plan for somebody to double secure your boat with extra lines, etc. It is worthwhile to have someone trusted check on things once in awhile, just to make sure that someone hasn't untied a dockline (has happened to me), or that your shore power cord hasn't been turned off, etc. I prefer to disconnect shore power and instead rely on solar power to keep the batteries up. Close off all unnecessary seacocks. Put an extra shot of chlorine in the water tanks. Add some fuel stabilizer. Make sure your automatic bilge pumps are on and working. Don't leave the pressure water hooked up to shore water--that has sunk many boats.
Old 23-03-2013, 13:05   #3

Apart from the risk to the vessel from hurricanes, have you considered the increased premium your insurance may require if you leave the boat in the water? Perhaps the savings for water storage disappear when balanced aginst this increased cost. After all, the period you are talking about is the prime hurricane season.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 19:19   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If I was going to leave mine in the water I would hire someone to come down periodically and run the diesel and exercise the rest of the systems. Otherwise I'd put it on the hard. If the systems are idle might as well put it where it can't sink.
Lack of usage causes more problems than anything else.
Old 23-03-2013, 20:58   #5
TEE

I think hiring some local yacht management guy to check on the boat is a good idea too. When a boat is unattended for such a long period of time, sometimes weird and unpleasant things happen to it. Running the engine, checking the bilge, checking for water intrusion and the condition of the dock lines is really something that probably should not take a six month break.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:15   #6

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
+1 wrt what Kettlewell mentioned regarding docklines.

We left our boat for 6weeks in Pensacola. As always, we'd secured the boat with multiple redundant springs etc j.i.c. something big and windy showed up while we were not around.

When we returned we discovered that half of the fenders on the dockside had been taken along with most of our lines - thankfully, the offender had replaced all of our expensive stretch-mantle dock lines with polyprop braided - so at least the boat didn't float off!

On the basis that you've prepped properly - one of the biggest risks to your boat when left unattended IMHO is the human factor which is difficult to defend against and quantify...
Old 24-03-2013, 04:29   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, maryd.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:57   #8

Boat: 1974 45' Downeast Lobster Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Graceunderway

Hire someone to check on your boat. We had ours sitting in North Florida from Nov thru June, and we had pumps fail. Thanks goodness for the marina management and our good friend that visited our boat once a week.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:11   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryd View Post
Do I need to be concerned about the boat being in the water and unused for a six month window? If so, what are the effects on the boat?

It's a boat.

In water.

If it sinks after six months then you can bet your bottom dollar you're lucky you never sailed it anywhere.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

It's a boat.

In water.

If it sinks after six months then you can bet your bottom dollar you're lucky you never sailed it anywhere.
I'll second that. There are boats in our Marina that haven't been looked at much lessors in years. They are still afloat.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Most boats here never leave the marina for six months or longer (no hurricanes here). Boaters tend to watch out for others, so it's a good idea to have one's phone number visible on the boat so you may be contacted. It's especially good if a liveaboard is nearby. Even if the boat is taken out one day a week, there is still something like 160 hours a week you won't be there.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 06:51   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
It's a boat.

In water.

Yep. Keep it in the water. Have someone check on it from time to time if possible.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 07:01   #13

Quote:
It's a boat.

In water.

There's a huge difference between being on the boat, and leaving it unattended for six months. Particularly in terms of hurricane prep and recovery.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 07:03   #14

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Where were you in Pensacola?
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 09:36   #15
Marine Service Provider

Personally, I'd put it on the hard.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock