Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 08:59   #1

electrical problems thompson santa cruz

Progress is getting made on the 3100 santa cruz. I had two new engines with stern drives installed. However there seems to be a short in the circuit. I have been telling the marina who installed the engines this for awhile and now they are in agreement. However they have said something to the effect that it is like finding a needle in a hay stack. My reply is that this is what you guys do for a living and I would expect you to be able to find it. What they found is that the dc circuit was hooked up to the engine circuit so when it blew it blew the circuit for the port engine. How do I know that they just put it in wrong? Is it feasible to believe that someone would do that on purpose. I also told them that I would expect them now to go through each individual dc circuit and test it. They are in the process of doing that and found that two of the bilge pumps were frozen and reinstalled new ones. They also said there was some wood fragments in the bilge that seem to be clogging them and implied that this could be a constant structural problem. I think they are looking for excuses since they have been working on this boat for months and still don't have it right. Any thoughts out there. I am new to this and feel a bit vulnerable and do not want to be taken advantage of my a marina. HELP.

Thanks

JC
cutbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:27   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Sounds like you expect the yard to perform miracles on a used boat. No one knows what has happened to the boat in the past or what the previous owner has done and electrical troubleshooting take a lot of time and sometimes trial and error to correct. Either keep the check book out or get the necessary education to do it your self. as a service tech myself, I usually pass on doing work for owners that feel that even though they know nothing or not much, they know more than I do. If you suspect the service people are not treating you right, take the boat or the work to someone else.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:45   #3

Thanks for your reply. I am just concerned. Originally I was told that it would take days to get the engines and stern drives in. Now it has been months. I suspect the delay in part is from electrical issues. These guys seem reasonable but I have some concerns.

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2009, 14:39   #4

santa cruz electrical problems......a year later

I had the windshield wiper motor replaced and the the port light which was rewired. One the first outing the electrical line supplying both sources went out as did the entire line for the starboard motor. Is this related? Last year they figured out that a bilge pump was shorting out the port motor. Is there a circuit switch when the engine electrical line goes out or is it a fuse. Where would it be??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was greeted by the coast guard with machine guns on the fourth as I tried to get back to my marina with one engine interesting evening.

Tags
santa cruz, thompson