Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2019, 11:47   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Engine Powered Kayak Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
This is what you want

https://youtu.be/AF9nBjgcX3E
OK. wow. that one is incredible...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:58   #17

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy at SEA View Post
In South Africa we don't play around, here the boys are hardcore. Check Stealth Products Power Fisha 16 - STEALTH PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS

Specifications:

• Best Feature: Speed, Stability & Performance
  • Conditions: Freshwater and Open Ocean
  • Length: 4.76m
  • Width: 1.29m
  • Weight: weight without fittings, hatches etc – approx 58kg
  • Max Angler Weight: 2 people- 270kg
  • Capacity: 550kg
  • Max HP – 15hp or outboard 45kg and under
  • Stability: 10
  • Speed: 10
  • Glide: 5
  • Manoeuvrability: 5
  • Surf Ability: 5
Thanks a lot perfect specs ill look into it! yea my experience is that Aussies, South Africans, and New Zealanders always have better boats than us Americans do.
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 12:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Won’t go thirty but it will plane with 2.5 horsepower and it will tow behind a bike.
https://youtu.be/3A9_5BMcI5Y

https://youtu.be/FVOVfgw_vpM

I should have put these in the initial requirements.. but the reason i dont like inflatables is because they can get punctured...

secondly the reason i dont like john boats and boats like this as well as canoes, is because they can capsize and are tippy, for example portabote etc,

kayaks... i dont want a sit inside kayak because of the risk of swamping.. but id go for a sit on top with drain holes plus outrigger/pontoons.
Old 17-06-2019, 12:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I built a bike trailer to tow around my laser sailboat. Mostly lumber, no welding or special skills. Simple and sturdy. Worked very well. Total loaded trailer weight around 200 pounds.

So towing a kakak/motor/gear behind your bike should be no trouble at all.

The golden rule is that the tow vehicle (that's YOU and your bike) must weigh MORE than the total loaded trailer.

I would tow the boat to a local waterfront park, disconnect the trailer from my bike, and roll the trailer by hand to launch on a rocky beach. Haulout was a little tougher, being uphill and everything wet (heavy).
Wow, good job! this is probably a lot bigger than id be hauling but the same idea! i actually do have a cart right now that was not designed to be hauled behind a bicycle but i may try to modify it to fit.

I could put the engine inside and strap the kayak on top, no problem.

This is what i bought last year:
Old 17-06-2019, 16:04   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

i saw one down at Keamh hardware the other day-- it had an inboard jetski motor in it and was really well done- sit on top cooler built in - rod holders etc - pretty light weight and said it could go 35mph with a draft of 3 inches-- used water jet propulsion so no prop to hit-- looked really cool until i though about how fast 4 inches of water could shoal to two inches and the effect of hitting that at 35 mph-- also visibility as far as someone seeing you on it in any kind of traffic would be awful. from experience jetski motors are great for a little while then they are a HUGE PITA. Would be fun to play with a little if somone else sported the bucks for it ( was expensive but i cant remember how much but big bucks for essentially a limited use toy
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 18:20   #21

Not going to happen and you'd be better off starting with a different platform. You would need a stupid amount of hp and it would always be unstable. 20-30mph is tough even for a Gheenoe with stupid HP.

Google Jetjon for Jonboats modifed with jetski engines. It's on my todo list.. Shallow draft, room to fish, stable, could double as a dinghy and no jetski stigma.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 05:57   #22

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
secondly the reason i dont like john boats and boats like this as well as canoes, is because they can capsize and are tippy, for example portabote etc,

kayaks... i dont want a sit inside kayak because of the risk of swamping.. but id go for a sit on top with drain holes plus outrigger/pontoons.

Kayaks can capsize too. With a canoe, assuming prep and practice, not a huge deal. With a motor... probably (much?) more difficult with either sit-in kayak or canoe. With an exposed prop, maybe still spinning, on an upside-down sit-on kayak... maybe equally difficult but different problems.

Airbags, as are sometimes typical in whitewater canoeing, can be useful... and then you have optional space for storage depending on how much the bags are inflated.

-Chris
Old 20-06-2019, 06:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
i saw one down at Keamh hardware the other day-- it had an inboard jetski motor in it and was really well done- sit on top cooler built in - rod holders etc - pretty light weight and said it could go 35mph with a draft of 3 inches-- used water jet propulsion so no prop to hit-- looked really cool until i though about how fast 4 inches of water could shoal to two inches and the effect of hitting that at 35 mph-- also visibility as far as someone seeing you on it in any kind of traffic would be awful. from experience jetski motors are great for a little while then they are a HUGE PITA. Would be fun to play with a little if somone else sported the bucks for it ( was expensive but i cant remember how much but big bucks for essentially a limited use toy
Oh this is interesting! would you mind to take a pic of it or link me to the site where i can ask? yes visibility is low thats why i normally stay very close to the shore say within 100 yards or so
Old 23-06-2019, 07:30   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Just yesterday I noticed a reference to "engine powered kayaks" down in Ft. Pierce, FL. No further info, but questions might submit to Mr. Google.

-Chris
Old 23-06-2019, 08:35   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Solo Skiff
https://www.soloskiff.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	722FA8A8-E81F-4F9F-B541-AE5640B55C5A.png
Views:	71
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	194537  
Old 20-01-2020, 21:11   #26

My Powerfisha is an amazing item. I've got a 25 Yamaha on it. Its stable and can stand up with superb stability. It flies along and the hull is quite flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power1.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	207327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	207328  

Couta Duster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags