Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 09:23   #16

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Ferry And Powerboat Collide

I would think that the ferry would fit the definition of "restricted in ability to maneuver" in this case . The channel appears to be rather small and Tacoma sailor indicates that the currents are complicated . I believe that this would have been a tragedy if the ferry had been the traditional ship . The fact that it had propulsion at each end of the ship meant that
1 it will stop faster and
2 and maybe most importantly that the wash from the pop blew the yacht out from under the ramp which would have pushed him under the ferry.
I don't know how complicated it is to transfer propulsion from one end of the ship to the other ,but I bet the skipper of the ferry realized the point of no return earlier than we think and started the process.
Side bar, boats and cars with fully tinted windows ,make it harder to understand the intentions of the vessel /vehicle
Old 06-12-2016, 09:55   #17

Boat: Caliber 40

Dalco Passage is 1.54 NM wide from the Pt Defiance ferry landing to Talequah on Vashon Island. The passage is 2.5 miles long and opens into bigger water at each end. There are no restrictions on passage.

The ferry in question is the newest in the WSF fleet but has had control problems. The ferry is relatively small and much more maneuverable compared to the other WSF super ferries.

As far as I can tell in the two videos I've seen - the ferry was the vessel required to alter course or speed. The small boat was the stand on vessel. However, I always call the ferry and tell them I will deviate to pass astern. OR - I make an early and definitive course and speed change to ensure the ferry crew knows I am maneuvering to avoid them.

The WSF ferries are FAST and it is very easy to pull back on my throttle for 30-seconds, let the ferry pass ahead, and then resume speed. I've interacted with WSF ferries hundreds, maybe thousands, of times and have never had a problem with them.

i've been on a lot of small boats in Puget Sound, where there are six ferry routes that cross the sound hourly or every half hour, when the small boat skipper mis-judged the ferry speed or intention. Those ferries cruise at 18-knots and accelerate rapidly.

They also make very sudden course changes. For example, at the north end of Vashon Island the West Seattle-Vashon ferry has to make a 90 degree turn at the last minute to enter the ferry landing area. When they back out of the ferry dock they may continue for several minutes astern, then suddenly stop, reverse direction, make a 90 degree turn, and head east back to West Seattle when you think they are heading further west to Southworth. That whole scenario takes place where East Passage and Colvos Passage meet, the currents are strong and erratic, and the Blake Island Marine park with lots of mooring balls sits. It is impossible to get from the South Sound to Seattle and the Central or North Sound without negotiating that complicated ferry crossing.

While sailing between Vashon, Seattle, and Edmonds I felt like a small antelope surrounded by a pride of large, fast, and hungry lions.

Just keep your distance!
Old 06-12-2016, 10:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post

While sailing between Vashon, Seattle, and Edmonds I felt like a small antelope surrounded by a pride of large, fast, and hungry lions.

Just keep your distance!

I agree this this. I don't leave the bridge and always cross behind the ferries. Even then as soon as you cross behind one there's likely to be another!
Old 06-12-2016, 10:55   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I need to rethink how well Bayliner boats are built. The Ferry should have changed course.
It wasn't a bayliner.......
Old 06-12-2016, 11:04   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It wasn't a bayliner.......
I didn't think so as there wasn't a loud CRUNCH, you open the Locker on a 45' Bayliner my brother had and you could literally almost see the sun through the hull. I know glass is translucent, but this was close to being see thru
Old 06-12-2016, 11:09   #21

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Rule No. ! : Biggest boat has right - of - Way. Period !!

Here lies the body of Michael Grey,
Who died maintaining the right of way,
He was right, dead right !, as he steamed along,
But he's just as dead as if he was wrong !!
Old 06-12-2016, 11:22   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I learned something when driving in the Republic of Korea.
Mass X Velocity = Right of Way
Old 06-12-2016, 13:32   #23

Location: Jane Bay, Barkley Sound, West Coast Vancouver Island
Boat: Cooper, Banner 37'

Without knowing if the the ferry's navigation was constrained or not - water depth; narrow channel - both vessels would be at fault. The small boat is the stand on vessel, but that does not relieve it from taking all action reasonably possible to avoid a collision.
Old 06-12-2016, 14:03   #24

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

The Law of TONNAGE will all ways win over any Colregs
Old 06-12-2016, 14:39   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I thought the autopilot did a nice job of bringing Nap Tyme back on course after the impact.
Old 06-12-2016, 14:40   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I worked for a time at a Yacht maintenance company.
Four of us took care of about fifty time share yachts, both motor and sail from 32 to 56 feet.
There were several Bayliners in that mix, mostly 32 and 45's.
They looked nice until you got behind the "curtain" so to speak.
Particle board bulkheads with NO tabbing to the hull, just a big fat bead of silicone sealer.

If that boat had been a Bayliner, imho it would have gone to the bottom.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Bayliners"

Mae West
Old 06-12-2016, 14:40   #27

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I find it inconceivable that the ferry would not have altered course, if the small boat had been steady on his course. It's hard to say from the video, but it almost appears that the small boat's wake curved around the point, as if the autopilot came to a waypoint and did a right turn. It might not be a wake, so I'm not claiming this is the case, but it would explain why the ferry's first response was a sound signal.
Old 06-12-2016, 15:44   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I find it inconceivable that the ferry would not have altered course, if the small boat had been steady on his course. ..............so I'm not claiming this is the case, but it would explain why the ferry's first response was a sound signal.
Really no way to know from the video, which was pointing to the starboard side of the ferry.

FWIW, the ONLY place in he entire world I know of where ferries give way and are courteous to recreational boaters is SF Bay. I sailed there for 35+ years.

AFIK, any ferry up here around my new home on Vancouver Island makes me the give way vessel, starboard crossing or not.

Geez, I've only sailed up here for 3 months and I already know this stuff.

What's so hard?

The recreational boater was a jerk and is lucky he didn't suffer more damage or injury. Besides, going down below to the head when within hailing distance of a ferry is just plain dumb.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 06-12-2016, 16:16   #29

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

It looks like the knock to starboard, the autopilot tried to get back on course, but the wash of hard reverse of the ferry kept him from becoming floating chopsticks and hamburger.
After clearing the wake, the autopilot resumed course, and "mister hamburger not to be" finally pulled back the throttle.

End of video.

Mae West
Old 06-12-2016, 17:08   #30

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I do and have done most of my sailing in Toronto . The inner harbour has regular ferry routes to 3 destinations on the Inlands . These routes are marked on the charts along with freighter channels .Several yacht clubs race in the harbour as well .The ferries do there best to avoid small boat traffic but in the end for reasons of visibility ,maneuverability etc. they are generally not considered the give way vessel . Even though the ferry in the video did not appear to be limited in ability to maneuver In my opinion he was, and did a good job of not killing the skipper of the yacht. I believe that you have a right to expect a certain level of expertise above bone head . If this was a teenager who just walked into traffic against a red light and got nailed while looking at his phone there might be less discussion of right and wrong.
That said I am glad no one was hurt
Closed Thread

Tags
Ferry