Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 15:07   #16

Re: First time ICW in Motoryacht

That is a big boat for single handing in tight quarters. I suggest take a friend
pipedreamlrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 16:23   #17

Boat: islandpacket

Also check out active captain
Old 06-03-2016, 05:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bertram.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:23   #19

Boat: Pearson 365

Nice boat, BUT.....You have no inverter do you? Man, how are you going to keep food cold? run the genny 24/7? Our 43 Hatteras doesnt leave the dock without a cable crew (my wife and I). One of the most stressful trips was with a friend who knew nothing about boats. I thought I would take him on a three day trip. I was a nervous wreck the whole trip. I cant even see to back into a slip at marinas. I guess in a perfect world like docking on fuel docks it might be possible single handing. Things never go as planned. How would you pick up a mooring ball and drive at the same time? Small sailboats are no comparison. You have a huge boat. If the wind is blowing any you have NO chance picking up a mooring rope with a boat hook and not risk damage to others around you. Heck, its tricky enough with a good crew. Power consumption alone is a reason not to travel. You should unplug all power from the dock and see what happens. We used to call it "fast cruising" in the Navy. When I bought our hatteras it didnt have an inverter. That was the first thing I had to install. Its the best 5K ever spent. I run the genny 1.5 hrs in the am and same in the pm to keep the battery bank topped off. Its keeps the food cold and ice in the freezer. When we are running the alternators keep the batteries full. No need to run the genny. I cant even imagine not having a holding tank. So what did the P.O. do with the tank? Which brings up the simple question of what are you going to do if you need to take a poop while running the ICW. I just let my wife drive. Sorry to be a kill joy but you need an inverter, holding tank and a crew. Thats to be safe and have a good time. Just my thoughts.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, motor, motoryacht, yacht